Sign in to follow this  
SHRIMPER

PHOTOGRAPHY

I was asked if filming rubbish was a hobby of mine, well as I said its not. I like getting out with the camera when I can and been doing a bit of night shooting. I know some of you may still think I am filming rubbish. Here are four from my last shoot. None of them have been doctored in any way. Please post any you have people.

Edited by SHRIMPER
Corrupted files

It''s a good way of showing the world Shrimper.I parked once by the Church with the spire,and explored Kings Lynn,I guess the latter ones were the "Customs House".The blue ones have me at a disadvantage. "Was you smokin at a turkisk wiv a doner"Maybe the runes or carvings suggest it is a museum piece.Thanks for Nell . Very pert!

The "church" with a spire is a Chapel hex. It is the biggest parochial chapel in the country. Tiss a "chapel of ease" from St Margaret''s church. I give talks in there as part of my town guide duties that I have talked about in another place. You do not get full benifit of the pictures with this forums small format.

Interesting story today about Hansa House. It might interest Herman as his folk came from that area about 500 years ago.Note, Benny No addresses!.. Shrimper too with a voice over. I guess the move to refurbish will be not to some tastes.  But best  to keep things going though, rather than a new shopping mall.Checkpoint Charlie ? Joanna Grey. Bring back Michael "Not a lot of people know that" Caine.Maybe not. hex

Interesting photos Shrimper,  we took a look around Kings Lynn on their Heritage Day last year, far too much to see in just the one day, but we managed the Town Hall, Gaol and Almshouses with the beautiful church opposite the Town Hall.  We were going to see the Docks and other places this year but couldn''t make it because of family commitments.  Didnt realise Kings Lynn was so lovely in the old parts of the town. Will try a few of the wine bars along the quay next time.

Well done hex, better safe than sorry.

Benny, and thanks for the advice which seems sensible these days.My old family come from Lincolnshire. We went to Boston ,but were a bit sad  Not quite what we expected.There is a bungalow crescent close on the outskirts . My name on the drive. I said I''ll take a snap.Don''t you dare flared Mrs...Hex. Just for conversation a part of the family is Huguenot. Another poster many years ago on the EDPsaid the G.Ma name came from the salsters who ran the marshes in Lincolnshire.Who were French.Not a lot of people know that. I didn''t ....So Salt of the seas am I.hex

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Nice. The second photo is haunting, could be a film location for some Spy rendezvous.[/quote]

It has been on many occation. Operation Crossbow. And the flop of the century Revolution. My claim to fame was getting picked to stand beside Pacino on the set during a close up scene. Many more have been made in that location.

I am a guide for the old fishing quarter Benny all year round but Heritage day is a very busy day. Most towns have two days, but Lynn only have one. The upshot of that is you have to try and cram so much in in one day. As stated I also give talks in St Nicks. Worked, and travelled the world Benny, but always head back to my roots in Lynn.

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Nice. The second photo is haunting, could be a film location for some Spy rendezvous.[/quote]

It has been on many occation. Operation Crossbow. And the flop of the century Revolution. My claim to fame was getting picked to stand beside Pacino on the set during a close up scene. Many more have been made in that location.

[/quote]

Interesting, did you make the final cut?

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]

I am a guide for the old fishing quarter Benny all year round but Heritage day is a very busy day. Most towns have two days, but Lynn only have one. The upshot of that is you have to try and cram so much in in one day. As stated I also give talks in St Nicks. Worked, and travelled the world Benny, but always head back to my roots in Lynn.

[/quote]

That is interesting Shrimper, it was the same reason I went to Kings Lynn, to find my roots.  My cousin was a family tree devotee and traced our family to Kings Lynn and it seems my father who died when I was very young went to the school which is now near the Railway Station and Morrisons, hence the visit to the Heritage Day.  An enjoyable trip into yesteryear.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

Interesting, did you make the final cut?

[/quote]

Yes. One of my sons was in it also, he was a young lad then and now he only has a year to do before he retires from the military.

Interesting story today about Hansa House. 

I see the Hansa House has been taken over by a Mr Lee. It is going to be turned into all sorts of wonderful things (or so he says) the building is the only Hansa house left in the entire country. I have a cup and a wad there quite often. Not one of my pictures.

Edited by SHRIMPER
Corrupted files

Thanks for the great pictures shrimps, especially the Hanse house. Isn''t it surprising that the first ever trade pact between countries lasted for so long and only a single house is left to remember it.

The Hanse spread from Konstantinopel to bergen to Kiev, it was greater in extend and reach than the EU and it was a forcefull union of states. When the Hanse was pestered by a Klaus Stoertebecker, an infamous pirate who took down many of their vessels for decades, they fought back and eventually captured him.

Unlike the fantasy that is Robin Hood, this character was much revered by simple folk, as he always kept in with them, when he robbed a ship he gave much of it away, he knew he needed these people to stay alive.

Klaus Stoertebecker, the scourge of the Hanse was decapitated in Hamburg, it was a great spectacle and thousands came to see him.

His last wish was to free those of his men he walked past, after having had his head cut off, I''m not sure how many he saved in that manner.

Just a little anecdote from the history of the Hanse.

[quote user="nevermind"]

The Hanse spread from Konstantinopel to bergen to Kiev, it was greater in extend and reach than the EU....[/quote]

Come on now, I know you might have some cultural pride in the League but you can''t rewrite history.

Yes you are a 100% with that nevermind. Lynn was the best port on the east coast of England that had access to the whole of the country just about with its river system leading inland. Dr Paul Richards a very eminent historian and good friend of mine, is the joint chairman of the ancient hanse along with his German counterpart. The prof is in Lubeck this very week chairing a meeting of the hanse. Just as an aside he lives (paul) in a house that is nearly as old as the hanse house that was once owned by my family. Sorry about size of this picture which makes it a bit hard to see, but it is forum dimensions

Edited by SHRIMPER
Corrupted files

There is just a hint that Venice played a huge but completely independant part in the whole trade system in those days.I accept Kiev for the fur trades, Nevermind. But it is a very long way for a stole for the Mrs.But the Venetians had the Constantinople side of things sewn up in silk and spices. However I am always open to correction.The Venetians did have trouble at Lepanto, so may have lost the edge later.So the two major trade groups met at various destinations. All in Northern Europe to settle accounts 4 times a year.The Venetians of course sold Cornetto ices on their way round Biscay to Lynn in Gondolas!....That''s another fib!Nice picture though. hex

Back to the now renamed Hanse House Shrimper. In the little bit of history. I notice that the building was let to a merchant called Everard.He built a Georgian house to the side.About 1751 said the note, after the port silted. I can only think the family prospered and moved on to run a  fleet of trading Thames Barges. One of which ended up beached at Dunkirk..I see you have a family connection to the building as well. Well I guess after the talks on the bail out of Europe, Mr Lee is as good as anyone.Although I did like Sarkozy doing a straighforward Gallic Non. "The Greeks were a mistake ","What did they ever do for Civilization?".... Greek Fire.

Good pictures Shrimper.I initially thought the second two were Bruges.Having only been to KL once,i obviously missed the picturesque part out and haven''t been back since.

How do you get pictures up? Is photobucket the best?

Try Nelson Street, Queen Street, and what is left of Pilot Street when next in the area Herman. The Tuesday Market Place with its Dukes Head Hotel Built by Henry Bell, the same architect as the Custom House in the pictures. The streets I have named are a thousand years old and well worth a look. Sorry about the quality of this picture but I only had my phone with me.

Edited by SHRIMPER

I stick with Photobucket because I have over 20,000 pictures on it. It is free, easy to set up and to use. You can set the size of your pictures in bucket to what you want and little more to do. Most forums like an 800 size picture set to a fairly low quality. 800 for landscape and 6 or 700 for portrait, this means that people do not have to use the slider to see all of the picture. Once you have uploaded your picture to bucket from wherever you keep them "my pictures" mostly, you just copy the image tags and paste to where you want them. Very very easy to do and just about all forums use this system. 

I have a couple of photos from Gallipoli of graves of Norfolk boys.Would it be disrespectful to put them up on here?

Considering the time of year it would be fine. There is a website which I and brother ventured onto. Looking for lost graves in family tombs.It took us to some country areas and a pint after.Churchyards,some of which turned out to be a private houses are a great way of exploring England..One day we came across a bronze plaque to Jethro Tull. That was a bit strange.Considering the flute.Brother got the habit after I started looking for Airmen...& He found Mervyn Peake. It''s a quiet time.But worth it. In a cemetary even if you have no contacts there.There does seem to be a peace.I have not visited the site for a number of years now but will see if it still existsOtherwise post the lot via shrimper on the day before.If P.Bucket doesn''t work...he seems to be able to work majik said Merlin.hex

This is the forum I visited, and there are requests for snaps such as yours from all over the worldhttp://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/.Looking to help an Australian archivist,there was no family left apart from a huge Buddlia topping the family tomb. hex

Ok here goes,RIP to these guys and the thousands of others!

[IMG]http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l547/stefanjohn/DSC00085.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l547/stefanjohn/DSC00084-1.jpg[/IMG]

Very nice herman, at least some one will now look at them. Just hit the key and move the curser down a bit further to seperate them if you post more.