Sign in to follow this  
SHRIMPER

PHOTOGRAPHY

Again not a very good picture but one of a place I have fond memories of. Worked in France for quite a while and lived very close to this place. The little town is called Les Eyzies and it stands on the river Vezere.(great for canoeing) The picture is of the Roc St Christophe and over 1000 people lived in the crack at one time. Happy happy memories.

Edited by SHRIMPER
Corrupted files

I keep apologising for these not very sharp pictures but this one was taken out of a taxi in Nagasaki Japan. The remains of the gateway you can see is amazing. The cross piece at the top is held in place by gravity alone. It is the remains of a gate after the atom bomb hit.The peace statue is pointing up directly to the spot the bomb exploded. The plaque says that death came from the sky.

Edited by SHRIMPER
Corrupted files

Crappy camera phone,so sorry. This is Lake Bohinj in Slovenia. Although i can''t do it justice it is beautiful. Honest.

photo 20140916_123546.jpg

There are two big lakes in the north (well loads, but these are the two well known ones). This is a 12k walk, half paved, half rugged, surrounded by mountains,and a few waterfalls and crystal clear rivers,finishing at a medieval church. Lake Bled is the really touristy one with a fairytale castle and in the middle, an ancient church on an island. Well worth a visit.

My family has been into fishing for over 300 years and I have spent a lifetime on boats so the sound of water lapping always have a great calming effect on me. Its right that they say it gets in your blood. Do not know what sort of photographic programme you use if any at all but you can bring out the true colours of a dull picture by using an unsharpen filter. Hope you do not mind but I have used yours as an example.

Edited by SHRIMPER
Corrupted files

That''s better. My camera phone is probably the most expensive I''ve owned, with all the bells and whistles, but the worst performance. I use GIMP on occasions, but that was straight out of the memory. I will tweak a couple tomorrow and see what happens.

I''ve had a tweak, a bit too much, but i think you will get the gist of the area. Silk purses and all that[:D] photo 20140916_1351201.jpg photo 20140916_1332041.jpg photo 20140916_1230261.jpg

You have a good eye for composition Herman. I do not like to see pictures altered too much (ie airbrushing of people and the like) but getting the colour balance right is acceptable, I think. I use photoshop myself because I do quite a lot of repairing old cracked and torn photos for people and the shop seems to suit me best for that. Not a great lover of HDR stuff either.

I loved the lone pine on the edge of the lake. Reminded me of an artist called Caspar David Friedrich. Unfortunately it was rushed. One day i will invest in a decent camera and learn some patience.The rivers are a genuine jade green but i couldn''t get the colouring right without making it look too tweaked and unrealistic.Do you ever use old-school film or are you purely digital nowadays?

I still have some wet cams but never use them at all nowerdays, purly digital. The nikon D5200 is a great entry level bit of kit. 24 million pixels is enough for anyone, professional or amateur. Some really good deals out there at the moment. 18-200mm lens cover every rage of shot you will ever need.

By all accounts Belfast/NI is a good place to visit. Let''s hope the peace lasts. Interesting pics. Cheers Shrimper.

I don''t know about if anyone knows about "u3a"..mostly folk with a freedom pass.Photo for Islington Festivities. I won a bottle of Lanson ,which went down well with Xmas pud.       Hex Ce and NM..(stuff it miggins..lol).Camden Passage

Hello Hex. I have given many talks to U3A groups over the years. Are you trying to show a picture Camden Passage?

Hi Shrimper.http://www.islingtonu3a.org/That should work. An attempt at a previous link didn''t appear. I get bored very quickly...U3a is quite good. And I am sure your talks will be interesting with the seafaring connections.Sadly for me it has become too intellectual recently, with some folk trying to do in depth analysis.I''m just trying to make friends and date girls "of a certain age".

Very nice ce, well done. I see they have a quiz coming up, will you be partaking? I know you used to perform elsewhere.I usually talk about 18th 19th and very early 20th c living conditions as well as the fishing, and when I tell them my family history going back to the 1600 they are quite rapt. Mother had 18 brothers and sisters and I have got 10 siblings. Grandfathers brother had 22. When I am telling them what it was like living with so many they are amazed. I have 7 by the way so I have a bit of catching up to do[:D]

Yes Shrimper I shall be trying to remember long forgotten rubbish on Monday''s quiz.(Daughter worked there in years past) So it is local!Because of how it works . I am the token male on the team. And about the youngest!I enjoyed a visit along the canals to Kingsland Basin during the open house weekend, (with a friend).Quite amazing. A small community of narrow boats, with a huge barge moored in the middle.An allotment. Fruit trees, strawberries, cabbages...chickens.http://events.londonopenhouse.org/building/18470.The locals who have moved into the renovated derelict warehouses are not happy.I gave up on family history.But I do know that my family were Huguenots making a living in Lincolnshire possibly as saltsters.Hard to believe but that hint came from "Gardener" a decade ago on the edp.---Daisy Roots.The u3a is good. I went to white cube for Tracy Emin.. A visit to William Morris at the NPG...it gets me off the keyboard.ce

No its a year long thing this time. Its been done for shorter periods in the past. Its on other buildings as well.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk6czMPk
enjoy - all my own work - i''m available for assignments, pop me a message on here if interested