Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

XBox v PS3

I know it''s been talked about before, but I have just had the Red Ring of death appear on my XBox, recommendations please for new console.

I use it for occasional gaming and DVDs.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]I know it''s been talked about before, but I have just had the Red Ring of death appear on my XBox, recommendations please for new console. I use it for occasional gaming and DVDs.[/quote]

Get your Xbox fixed under warranty.

I''m on my second xbox and if this one goes I intend to switch to PS3 as the next generation will not be out for a couple of years yet.I think they are both comparable in terms of graphics etc and now that Sony have improved the online services I think there is little between them, however, Sony''s online service is free and the general build quality of the PS3''s does seem a lot better than the xbox''s. Having said that I do know someone who''s PS3 broke, Sony paid to have it shipped to them, they repaired it and returned it free of charge...this is different to my experience of Microsoft when my last xbox died.

I would go with the ps3, blu ray, DVD upscaling, massive hd to hold music and photos. XBox is a great gaming machine, ps3 gives a greater all round multimedia experience. Plus iplayer is worth it''s weight

Unless you''re intending to buy a Blu-Ray player within the next few months, i''d go with an Xbox 360.The new slim Xbox 360 has a 250GB HDD, runs silently and smoothly, is slightly faster than the previous xbox''s. In terms of Gaming, Xbox has a better performance Graphics Chip, so in some games you can see the difference between the two consoles (especially regarding lighting where the xbox looks considerably better).The price is also a major talking factor here, i got the new Xbox 360 slim (which i''ll point out here, looks a hell of alot nice than the PS3,and is considerably smaller than the earlier xbox''s) for £148. That was with the 250gb hard-drive.If you like online gaming, then don''t settle for second best. Yes you have to pay for Xbox Live but it is conisderably better, there are more dedicated servers etc. They also offer some cool features (not sure what PS3 offers on their PSN) and if you have sky, you can stream live tv on your xbox, as well as hundreds of other programs. There''s also some very good music applications etc for streaming live music.PS3 does have the advantage of iPlayer, so if you would watch that lots then its worth considering. In my situation, i use my PC in my room for iPlayer, my xbox for gaming and watching sky.

See the argument is not bad for both of them. Its a personal choice that will be totally up to you.

I have got both and like both. Although I will say that the PS3 is set up in my front room and gets used more for other stuff like streaming iPlayer/4OD, LoveFilm, Blu-rays etc than actual gaming.

The Xbox gaming experience online is as Hogesar said streets ahead, that is why it has a premium attached.

Buy both, save the hassle.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]I know it''s been talked about before, but I have just had the Red Ring of death appear on my XBox, recommendations please for new console. I use it for occasional gaming and DVDs.[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you for the advice, there are two different types of PS3 (hard dreive size), does anyone know if there is a visual difference between the two consoles?

Thank you

I''m on my 5th Xbox. I''ve also had 4 repairs. ... I know all too well how, but i have no idea why.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote] Thank you for the advice, there are two different types of PS3 (hard dreive size), does anyone know if there is a visual difference between the two consoles? Thank you[/quote]

I was not sure whether you knew about the extended warranty period for the power supply problem. Seem a shame to bin the console if you could get if fixed for nothing (we did and it has been fine since).

As for the PS3 - There is no difference in actual physical size or appearance between the 120, 160 and 320Gb models.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote] Thank you for the advice, there are two different types of PS3 (hard dreive size), does anyone know if there is a visual difference between the two consoles? Thank you[/quote]

I was not sure whether you knew about the extended warranty period for the power supply problem. Seem a shame to bin the console if you could get if fixed for nothing (we did and it has been fine since).

As for the PS3 - There is no difference in actual physical size or appearance between the 120, 160 and 320Gb models.

[/quote]Hello Joanna, i took my Xbox into the store, i bought it in 2007, it was the first generation Elite.  The extra warranty i took out at the time has since expired. I have been to a friends house to see their PS3 120, i''m amazed at how quiet it is compared with my Xbox and the simplicity of it (no large pack between power source and console).  Now just to make my mind up for GB size, i think as i will be using it for the oddd game and to play DVDs/bluray i think that is ample.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]Hello Joanna, i took my Xbox into the store, i bought it in 2007, it was the first generation Elite.  The extra warranty i took out at the time has since expired. I have been to a friends house to see their PS3 120, i''m amazed at how quiet it is compared with my Xbox and the simplicity of it (no large pack between power source and console).  Now just to make my mind up for GB size, i think as i will be using it for the oddd game and to play DVDs/bluray i think that is ample.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

Definitely the best thing to do, I think that you can still get it fixed for free.

And, Xbox''s are far better than PS3''s anyway.

[quote user="Delia Out"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

Definitely the best thing to do, I think that you can still get it fixed for free.

And, Xbox''s are far better than PS3''s anyway.

[/quote]

Such an annoying comment. In what way is the XBox better than the PS3, in what way is the PS3 better than the XBox?

Simple answer, neither is better than the other. Both have positives, both have negatives. They are pretty much, much of the muchness.

Perhaps you should have put, I THINK Xbox is better than PS3.

if you want to be pinickity in terms of hardware then "under the bonnet" the ps3 is better... bigger hard drive, Blu ray, etc....I have never had an x-box and dont want one because i am happy with my ps3. In terms of games and graphics then the uncharted series and Gran Turismo are better than any other console game on any format imo...plus Sony have had the 2 best TV adverts ever...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bqq38WZctAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWkKKSckNkthe first one is my favourite advert ever

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]if you want to be pinickity in terms of hardware then "under the bonnet" the ps3 is better... bigger hard drive, Blu ray, etc....[/quote]Nope, because apart from Blu-Ray (hard drive is pre-determined on what you actually purchase) the xbox is superior. A better VDU with much better shading and pixel transformation (better graphics, basically), a similar but equally slightly more powerful method of processor usage and better distribution of that power.[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I have never had an x-box and dont want one because i am happy with my

ps3. In terms of games and graphics then the uncharted series and Gran

Turismo are better than any other console game on any format imo...[/quote]In your opinion, maybe. But there are plenty of examples of comparing the same game on an Xbox and then on a PS3 and there are noticeable differences in Xbox favour, however they are minimal.I guess in this generation of consoles it really doesn''t matter which one you go for. Very similar, i do just feel the online experience of Xbox alongside the slightly better graphics and the incredibly low cost allows Microsoft to edge this one, but i do see why people get the PS3 for its Blu-Ray compatibility.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]if you want to be pinickity in terms of hardware then "under the bonnet" the ps3 is better... bigger hard drive, Blu ray, etc....[/quote]Nope, because apart from Blu-Ray (hard drive is pre-determined on what you actually purchase) the xbox is superior. A better VDU with much better shading and pixel transformation (better graphics, basically), a similar but equally slightly more powerful method of processor usage and better distribution of that power.[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I have never had an x-box and dont want one because i am happy with my

Turismo are better than any other console game on any format imo...[/quote]In your opinion, maybe. But there are plenty of examples of comparing the same game on an Xbox and then on a PS3 and there are noticeable differences in Xbox favour, however they are minimal.I guess in this generation of consoles it really doesn''t matter which one you go for. Very similar, i do just feel the online experience of Xbox alongside the slightly better graphics and the incredibly low cost allows Microsoft to edge this one, but i do see why people get the PS3 for its Blu-Ray compatibility.[/quote]the hard drive in the ps3 can be easily whipped out and changed... theres no reason you cant put in a meaty 1TB drive into it.. the slot is on the side and just needs unscrewing.In terms of the consoles hardware, Rockstar had to scale down Grand Theft Auto 4 because of the lack of processing power on the 360...

This really does read like 2 people bickering about such miniscule details.

Can either of you honestly say that there is any notable difference between the consoles. Because to my eye the games look identical.

GT5 is awesome, so is the new forza. COD is just about identical on both. GTA4 if it was scaled down for the XBOX I cant tell the difference.

It is funny listening to 2 fanboys fighting it out though!!!!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]if you want to be pinickity in terms of hardware then "under the bonnet" the ps3 is better... bigger hard drive, Blu ray, etc....[/quote]Nope, because apart from Blu-Ray (hard drive is pre-determined on what you actually purchase) the xbox is superior. A better VDU with much better shading and pixel transformation (better graphics, basically), a similar but equally slightly more powerful method of processor usage and better distribution of that power.[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I have never had an x-box and dont want one because i am happy with my

Turismo are better than any other console game on any format imo...[/quote]In your opinion, maybe. But there are plenty of examples of comparing the same game on an Xbox and then on a PS3 and there are noticeable differences in Xbox favour, however they are minimal.I guess in this generation of consoles it really doesn''t matter which one you go for. Very similar, i do just feel the online experience of Xbox alongside the slightly better graphics and the incredibly low cost allows Microsoft to edge this one, but i do see why people get the PS3 for its Blu-Ray compatibility.[/quote]the hard drive in the ps3 can be easily whipped out and changed... theres no reason you cant put in a meaty 1TB drive into it.. the slot is on the side and just needs unscrewing.In terms of the consoles hardware, Rockstar had to scale down Grand Theft Auto 4 because of the lack of processing power on the 360... [/quote]No, they didn''t need to `scale down`. They had to compromise with not EVERY xbox (especially at the time of release) having a HDD. A standard HDD has a higher read-speed than any DVD drive does, hence the issue. It wasn''t `scaled down` in the end. Rockstar were also quoted as saying that the PS3 `creates enormous problems but they will overcome them`.If we''re going to compare games 3 years ago then you''re welcome to. But the current xbox 250gb vs the current PS3...i think there''s a comfortable winner in some aspects.

There isnt a comfortable winner. Its like comparing a mercedes and a bmw. At the end of the day both have great usp''s, both are fantastic and both pretty much cost the same. Its down to personal preference and possibly brand loyalty.

I reckon if you gave Mr XBOX fanboy a PS3 for 3 months he would love it. Same applies to Mr PS3.

You can argue for weeks, there is nothing in it.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]There isnt a comfortable winner. Its like comparing a mercedes and a bmw. At the end of the day both have great usp''s, both are fantastic and both pretty much cost the same. Its down to personal preference and possibly brand loyalty.

I reckon if you gave Mr XBOX fanboy a PS3 for 3 months he would love it. Same applies to Mr PS3.

You can argue for weeks, there is nothing in it.[/quote]I will point out at this point a slightly wealthier friend of mine (who is a massive gamer) currently owns both the xbox and PS3. He likes his PS3, but he does notice better graphics, smoother frame-rates and a better online experience on his xbox. And for that reason, incredibly rarely uses his PS3.Of course, im not one to slate the PS3 and say its shit. It''s got some fantastic features. Like the ability to get your credit card details stolen.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]There isnt a comfortable winner. Its like comparing a mercedes and a bmw. At the end of the day both have great usp''s, both are fantastic and both pretty much cost the same. Its down to personal preference and possibly brand loyalty.

You can argue for weeks, there is nothing in it.[/quote]I will point out at this point a slightly wealthier friend of mine (who is a massive gamer) currently owns both the xbox and PS3. He likes his PS3, but he does notice better graphics, smoother frame-rates and a better online experience on his xbox. And for that reason, incredibly rarely uses his PS3.Of course, im not one to slate the PS3 and say its shit. It''s got some fantastic features. Like the ability to get your credit card details stolen.[/quote]there are (according to Sony) 250 million registered psn users accross the world (thats psn users.. not Ps3 owners) and 1000 had their card details stolen.... I like those odds.

there you go Hogesar....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55P2W3F26sA&feature=related which would you rather look at?the tree and the hand at the end show the difference in quality.

If you want me to keep on going i will lads [:D].Right, the Xbox GPU uses a much more intelligent pixel shading system than the PS3 does. In fact, the CPU and GPU on the xbox are more powerful. The xbox has superior graphics. You can pluck a couple of youtube videos all you like but generally speaking the Xbox does have superior graphics.P.S - Don''t be tricked by stuff being brighter on the PS3. That doesn''t mean the graphics are superior.Second of all i mentioned the hacking because it is relevant to the discussion. The biggest claim re multiplayer experience is the fact it''s free on PS3. However, there are less servers, more restrictive bandwidth and quite clearly much less security. If only 1000 credit card details have been revealed to have been hacked, that doesn''t necessarily mean that was it. Sony were hacked again after the big credit card hack  - http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/sony-hacked-again-with-93000-accounts-compromised-50005593/ in October.And to add to the debate. Xbox has a larger, much more impressive game library than the PS3. This mostly stems from it having a much better exclusive range than the PS3 does. Most PS3 fanboys accept this.Just to finalise, i wasn''t making ''fan boy'' comments. I was making comments based on my experience and that of others.I am not a massive fan on Microsoft, i work with their OS''s day in day out, and have to deal with the many issues that it has on a daily basis. But they are much better equipped at producing a gaming console than Sony are now, in my opinion. Yes the original Xbox didnt'' sell half as well as the PS2 but the direction Microsoft took since then and the massive corporation they have become puts them in a better position than Sony. They can produce an overall better gaming experience for less money.[:)]

why was LA noir on 3 discs on the xbox and 1 on the ps3?on that clip of skyrim theres a noticeable difference in the graphical quality, its not just brighter on the ps3 as the mans hand should show.... he has veins on the ps3 and a "clay" hand on the xbox.Gamespot have done several comparisons and say that whilst the Xbox has better cell shading the Ps3 has better graphical processing so the comparison is on a 1:1 ratio.i do agree that xbox live has better features however... the PSN store seems to have been forgotten about.. before it got hacked it was actually improving and had some great stuff on it...one thing i disagree on for both consoles is when people say a game is better online on one system than the other and thats micrsoft/Sony''s fault... they dont provide the servers to the game the developers do.. so if its pants on one console its pants on the other! pes 2009 being a case in point!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]why was LA noir on 3 discs on the xbox and 1 on the ps3?on that clip of skyrim theres a noticeable difference in the graphical quality, its not just brighter on the ps3 as the mans hand should show.... he has veins on the ps3 and a "clay" hand on the xbox.Gamespot have done several comparisons and say that whilst the Xbox has better cell shading the Ps3 has better graphical processing so the comparison is on a 1:1 ratio.i do agree that xbox live has better features however... the PSN store seems to have been forgotten about.. before it got hacked it was actually improving and had some great stuff on it...one thing i disagree on for both consoles is when people say a game is better online on one system than the other and thats micrsoft/Sony''s fault... they dont provide the servers to the game the developers do.. so if its pants on one console its pants on the other! pes 2009 being a case in point![/quote]Much better post of which i agree with alot.The reason LA Noir was on 3 discs on xbox and 1 on PS3 is straight forward. PS3 - you install to the hard drive to play games. Xbox - you can, but its optional. So those with the old basic Arcade Xbox 360''s can still play the game without a hard drive i.e run everything from disks [:)].And you''re..mostly right regarding one game vs the other online. A large amount of game developers host their own servers. EA Servers being a massive example. However, it is also true that you connect to the servers through either a Sony or Microsoft gateway. Sony admit to having relatively limited resources compared to Microsoft in this area (nothing to be ashamed of, it''s kind of a more Microsoft-y thing anyway).I''m sure Sony will eventually turn to online services the same way xbox do - make people pay. And trust me, it''s worth it if they do. Assuming of course they spend that money directly on the online services available.I will also admit that looking at the hand the PS3 does look better - i don''t like the lighting on the PS3 version - its a bit too outdated to not have a really good pixel shader. I think you''ll find on the majority of games the difference wont be noticeable because the TV''s are likely to rid the graphics off most differences. I think there''s a gamespot article from this year where they done 10 games, and xbox looked noticeably better on about 7 of them with almost identical pictures for the rest. The issue, of course, is developers. Who are hugely limited due to the multi-platform gaming universe we surround ourselves in.Now, if you want to see graphics at an all time best, the new Battlefield 3 is immense on Xbox 360, maybe even a touch better on high-end PC''s.

I agree that Sony will eventually move to a paid online system. Its such a revenue generator, and online gaming is so popular that I believe it is inevitable

I also think Sony will struggle to keep up with the next generation of consoles. Microsoft are bigger, stronger and richer than most and will have a more substantial R & D budget. Plus there specialist area is programming, so they will be able to focus on this. If you read articles regarding this then many developers claim that the coding system is more complicated on the PS3 than the XBOX.

I think this time both are absolutely level with very little to call between them. But I do think that Sony have got their work cut out when the next generation of consoles are due.

I can also see a 4th competitor in the market in the shape of Apple. Especially if the rumoured interactive Apple TV ever becomes a reality.