Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Bands you don't "get"!

What bands do you struggle with? The sort of bands that sell records by the shed load,or get massive critical acclaim,but,as much as you try,you will never be a fan.

This isn''t bands that you think are just s**t,but the ones you like odd songs and can understand why others enjoy them! U2 for example.

A few of mine;

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Jeff Buckley

Foo Fighters.

I think this thread makes sense[^o)]

Good thread. Never went for either Buckleys. Only liked Joshua tree (U2), A bit ambivalent about Tom Petty.Never found the time for Nick Drake. He was a school chum of an old friend of mine..I quote ....from a small self published book.                                                                        For Nick Drake (1948-1974)Who shared with me the songs of Bob Dylan and the secret delights of Disque Bleu cigarettes                          in that long-ago schoolboy summer of 1965.Many of us are still "tangled up in blue".  "As I go ramblin'' around ".Posting rubbish? moi? ec.

Frank Zappa was a big mistake for me. I had to give away the "Freak Out" album .Couldn''t stand being near it.An Icon now, but not for me!.ec

I''ve got one Zappa album,Hot Rats,and it was superb.So i tried a few others[:|]

Is it true that Nick Drake wasn''t liked amongst the musical fraternity?

Nick Drake certainly felt ignored  by his contemporaries.(& I believe his agent as well,(allegedly))His family still have vigils by fans at their home entrance in Henley-in-Arden( or somewhere with a similar name).Gabrielle Drake, an actress ,was his sister.My chum in fact appeared on a TV programme dedicated to a mass rememberance show at a London theatre.I might still have it on VHS. I think he was darker in the dumps than even Leonard Cohen. ec

Oh Boy.Herman. Just googled Nick Drake and all pages refer to Jeremy Mason. My old chum.It is on the web so I can mention the name. Jeremy was known at Marlborough as "Ceramics Mason".He then made a good living as a dealer in Japanese historical artefacts. Strangely he never mentioned during our early friendship his Drake connection. We have met up almost every year, A bit of a down comment. But even the saddest story has an uplifting thought somewhere.ec.

I am a huge Nick Drake fan but i can fully understand why some people wouldn`t "get" him. Where some see dark and depressing i see (well,hear...) beauty. Can anyone name me a jolly song which is beautiful? It`s no surprise that some of the greatest artists of our time have struggled with depression+melancholia.

"But even the saddest story has an uplifting thought somewhere",Well,Mr Carrow. I certainly think you provided that with your reply. Of his time countless numbers failed to stay alive. Davey Graham, Tim Hardin,Bert Jansch is on his 2nd liver,Phil Ochs.Buckleys,I never bought his LP''s, but thanks for putting me right on beauty. A jolly song which is beatiful?.Kenneth More singing the Eton Boating Song. In an old film. Best I can do.Depression + melancholia. .... I don''t use the tube anymore, so I have an inkling hex

I have never understood the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Foo Fighters, U2, The Killers, Elbow, Bon Jovi, Eurythmics, Cold Play and probably many more...I find a lot of popular culture to be well beyond me and I am only 31 - don''t even get me started on the TV shows where people have to phone in and vote.

"don''t even get me started on the TV shows where people have to phone in

and vote".
So I guess Sally Bercow and her recently formed band, "the shortish husbands" is on your no-no list!I am sure photoshop have a secret option......."remove sheet". Have to admit to being a bus pass holder, so raves and punk passed me by in a haze of nappy changing.Never heard before of Elbow. Maybe Deep Heat could help.hex

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I am a huge Nick Drake fan but i can fully understand why some people wouldn`t "get" him. Where some see dark and depressing i see (well,hear...) beauty. Can anyone name me a jolly song which is beautiful? It`s no surprise that some of the greatest artists of our time have struggled with depression+melancholia.[/quote]

Well,that stumped me! The closest i could get was Cirrus Minor/Grantchester Meadow by Pink Ployd.But even then it''s more wistful than jolly!

One should maybe look to the French. "Zank ''evens for li-----".....perhaps not. Serge and partner was fun. Francoise Hardy, "Tous les garcons et le filles de mon age",was fun.not exactly jolly.I suppose jolly has to be an interactive moment with cast and singers jumping around in a musical."Hair" ,or is that too old even for me!. It is.hex

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]I have never understood the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Foo Fighters, U2, The Killers, Elbow, Bon Jovi, Eurythmics, Cold Play and probably many more...I find a lot of popular culture to be well beyond me and I am only 31 - don''t even get me started on the TV shows where people have to phone in and vote.

[/quote]Agree with all those especially Elbow, how they have sold so many records, it is utter garbage!

RHCP and the Foo Fighters are great bands! I''m 21 so they are more my era I guess...both bands have been around for years and I fully recommend each artists ''Greatest Hits'' compilations if you''re not sure about them yet.

[quote user="Largey"]RHCP and the Foo Fighters are great bands! I''m 21 so they are more my era I guess...both bands have been around for years and I fully recommend each artists ''Greatest Hits'' compilations if you''re not sure about them yet.[/quote]I''m only 31 and they were around during my ''youth'', my brother in law loves them and many a lively debate has been had regarding their ''merits''...to me all their stuff sounds the same and for God''s sake pit a t-shirt on, I am sure they can afford one.

Elbow and Foo Fighters I''ve never really got either, but I saw Elbow this weekend, and they were a lot better live than I was expecting. I just struggle to sit down and listen to them for a prolonged period of time - all a bit too slow and samey for me. Foo Fighters I''ve just never really got on with for some reason, even though their "sound" is pretty much the sort of thing I tend to listen to nowadays!

I am glad WITS your Dad has all the albums. I wouldn''t dream of making your Dylan dislike an issue.There are more turkeys than Bernard Mathews ever had. But there is much tear jerking beauty, anger,and fun.The interesting thing is  the American "Folk" tradition which he followed. He rewrote tunes, lyrics that were ageless.Most came via Kentucky, and to there, songs and themes from Dorset,Lincolnshire and EVEN Norfolk.ce

I''ve still got 3500 singles some from the 50''s, loads from the 60''s and a huge amount from the 70''s (my time). There is a vast difference between bands making singles to strike while the iron is hot and make some money fron their 10 minutes of fame and those making albums who are in it for the long haul. I have got music covering all manner of genres as I just love listening to music - which I do nearly all day every day. The thing is I couldn''t tell you who my favourite artist or band is. I like so much different stuff but I dont think I could listen to a whole album by anyone. If I were to name one album I could possibly get through it would be Urban Hymns by The Verve.

Virtually all of the names mentioned have produced some stuff I have liked and some stuff I don''t. So in my eyes everyone is capable of producing good music and stuff I don''t ''get'', but I''d have trouble naming them!

I''m currently exploring more Chill, Lounge, Electro Swing and believe it or not some Bluegrass and Country. The current hot Country track for me is Reba McEntire''s verion of Beyonce''s If I Were A Boy.

I like your context of music through the ages,Bluegrass and Country was always fun.But borrowing a CD from the library to find a tune, the Kentuckians were bonkers.hex..... I guess it was the still!

Kings of Leon and The Strokes i''ve always seen as a bit overrated, despite liking one or two of their songs. RHCP are worshipped by some and again, although i like some of their tracks, i don''t have them at the sort of godlike status that others do. And i guess it''s probably just me who thinks the Beatles are the most overrated band of all time.. Yes, i can see how they were ''influential'' and everything but some of their songs are terrible and i''ve never really understood the hype over some of their music, although they were well before my time.

Wesbian.  I have just been dipping into the past. I was after the Fish Cheer (That''s really old).Mostly for a comment on another forum.I came across this song."Who am I " Country Joe and the fish.It is before your time but still a haunting song.Worth a google.hex

My Chemical Romance (Terrible)

The Strokes (Meh)

Muse (Although I kinda like them, Bellamy is annoying knob who squeels and ruins a good song)

[quote user="Wesbian"]
And i guess it''s probably just me who thinks the Beatles are the most overrated band of all time.. Yes, i can see how they were ''influential'' and everything but some of their songs are terrible and i''ve never really understood the hype over some of their music, although they were well before my time.
[/quote]

The fact that they ''were well before your time'' perhaps explains it. This was a huge time of change in music moving away from the Rock and Roll and crooners period of the mid to late 50''s

The early 60''s brought new music into Liverpool via the port from America. It was in fact the very early days of what went on to become Tamla Motown. The Berry Gordy stable produced songs like ''Please Mr Postman'' in 1961 (which The Beatles recorded in 62) and Twist And Shout  in 1962 (Brian Poole and The Tremeloes and The Beatles both recorded this in 63). The harmonies and repeated lyrics were catchy having moved on from the 50''s. Their second hit Please Please Me got to number 2 and was in the charts for 22 weeks and the third From Me To You in April 63 got to number 1 and was in the charts for 25 weeks. In my eyes that tells me they had already cracked it, their first three singles reached 4, 2 and 1 for a total of 73 weeks. Something I feel the likes of which we will never see again, as the change in musical style was so great from what had gone before. August 63 brought She Loves You which is the biggest selling UK single, 1,890,000 copies, and the sight a packed Kop at Liverpool all singing it is quite unforgettable, again something you will never see nowadays. The sight of thousands of (mainly) young ladies at every airport they landed at across the world was only repeated to a lesser extent by The Bay City Rollers (early to mid 70''s), but their time came and went very quickly, as they were some of the first exponents of ''manufactured'' pop.

The rest is history and probably to some it does sound dated, but The Beatles were at the forefront of dramatic change in music and their contribution cannot be understated. Lennon and McCartney are the greatest songwriters every seen and I don''t think that will ever change. They were the masters of the 2 and a half minute pop song, with only Ulvaeus and Andersson of ABBA running them close in terms of song writing ability. Yesterday and Something are two of the most covered tracks in history. Something was performed in Las Vegas by The Beatles, Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra, who declared it as his favourite song.

They may not be everyones cup of tea, but I feel they will never be replaced as the greatest band ever, and whatsmore they are English!!!

Blimey, I must be the only fan of Elbow here then. I can listen to them all day long, in fact when I go running I often just put their 5 albums on in rotation. They write songs about simple things with lots of meaning, they put a smile on my face and musically they have a sound unique to themselves, but not everybodys cup of tea obviously!

I have Zappa''s Hot Rats too, great album but can''t really get much of his stuff, they love him in places like Hungary, in fact I spent a night at a Frank Zappa themed cafe in Budapest once, it was pretty cool.

So who don''t I get......... mmm, not sure, i''ll give it some thought. If I can pick solo artists it will be easier.

Going to add the Manic Street Preachers to my list.Stop shouting!!!

Elbow aren''t a bad band,Lippy Kids is a brilliant song,but they are on every radio playlist.So,if you listen to too much radio,like myself,they get overplayed.But that could be said about a lot of bands.

I really really don''t get how people can say RHCP stuff all sounds the same....

Fair enough if you don''t like them, not everyone likes the same stuff, but to say they are rubbish or say all their stuff sounds the same just seems plain wrong....

Must admit, i''ve never heard of Elbow....

Only stuff that i don''t really get, is extremely overplayed ''pop'' music, that if anything all sounds very similar, 95% of the songs have the same theme, at least someone like Lady Gaga has something original about her, but take Katy Perry and Rhinana, are they really all that different?

i seem to be one of the few people in the world who cant stand Muse!Matt Bellamy is a whingey singer and every song sounds like the last....I went to the reading festival eariler in the year and left before Muse came on.... I can see why people like them but just dont "get" them....I find all of their songs boring.