Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Films of 2011!!

What films are you looking forward to this year?

That Green Hornet film thats just come out...That looks like good fun.

Black Swan as well is mean''t to be very good.

And the Coen Brothers are bringing out another :D A remake of True Grit...

(There are probably more, lets see what some of you have to suggest first though!!)

Black Swan- seems a pretty dated idea to those who remember black and white TV with the Red Shoes etc Ballet is a bit of a limited appeal I would have thought And Natalie Portman , a skellington with pretty eyes- can''t act, just gets directed.Be interested to see Jeff Bridges filling John wayne''s boots- I mean True Grit is worth watching just for "that " scene. I read they are meant to be going back to the book and the true story so not a makeover but a different takeDrop Dead Fred...the original used to make the kid cry and had quite a nice turn from Rik Mayall...the remake will no doubt be glossed and schmaltzed

Ew- I have stopped looking at google results for remakes, let it be a jest- Tom Cruise considering Last Tango in Paris- Brando roleOh my eyes....

Just goes to show those films were made from strong stories if studios want to remake them. The same applies for musicals. When was the last musical produced on stage (Broadway or London) an original story? ie not a rehash of a successful movie; that''s just cashing in.Where are the modern story-writers? Why can''t they come up with new stories? The trouble with some modern films is they rely too heavily on cgi and special effects rather than an actual story.

And isn''t some of the CGI rubbish too-when there are mass scenes cgi''d they too often get the speed of the movement  not quite rightAm bored now with the cgi which crosses a drawn look with naturalistic- the Beowolf ,Sin City etc

I know its not a new film but this one has just been re-edited and is a lot better than the first time around. I was lucky to work on the film in a couple of ways. First myself and a boat-building mate of mine worked on the boats that they used in the film. Secondly as an extra. It was great fun especially as I was picked to be in a scene with Pacino. The money was good for just standing around, and one of my sons was also in it. The film was deemed to be one of the biggest lose makers of all time but I do not think it was as bad as all that. The new film is called REVOLUTION REVISITED and worth a look just to see some local scenery if nothing else.[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/EWW1/EDP/DV5dGa77FDL185_1_m.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Magrat"]Black Swan- seems a pretty dated idea to those who remember black and white TV with the Red Shoes etc Ballet is a bit of a limited appeal I would have thought And Natalie Portman , a skellington with pretty eyes- can''t act, just gets directed.
[/quote]

The reviews (audience and professional) are very favourable for this movie, stating Portman''s performance as one of it''s strengths.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands"] Where are the modern story-writers? Why can''t they come up with new stories?

[/quote]

I think your perception is clouded somewhat, the amount of remakes is really not that high, the top ranking movie lists for 2010 are all more or less original, modern stories. I can understand the production companies being interested in remakes if;

They own the rights.

The original made good money.

Original fans may watch it for curiosity.

The movie would benefit from modern effects. 

A few more:

Tree of Life- Terrence Malick film, all his films are very well made, think this was supposedly shot quite a while ago, he just spends ages in post-production. Haven''t actually read too much into what the film is about though....

The Hangover sequel.... Thought the first one was really funny, so this one should be good as well

Scream 4 :D Probably won''t be the best film ever, but their quite funny....(although from the trailer i saw, it looks like it might be a bit more like a Horror film this time...)

I also belive Simon Pegg has a new film coming out, can''t remember what its called/about though....His films tend to be worth a watch

What is happening with the next LOTR film,The Hobbit?Has it actually got off the ground yet?

Its not the next LOTR film....For a start its before LOTR :P

(although things i''ve been hearing, its turning into LOTR more...)

I don''t know if they have actually started filming yet, but Peter Jackson is directing, after the other one dropped out, but it defiantly won''t be out this year. Think they want it out 2012.... (but its 2 parts anyway)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_film_project#Del_Toro.27s_interpretation

Filming starts next month according to Wiki......

Ginge, Simon Pegg''s Paul is out on Valentines Day, and indeed does look very good.

The First Avenger: Captain America, and later in the year The Avengers has some promise.

Look out for Jim Carrey starring in Ripleys Believe it or Not destined to be one of the comedies of the year 

Amongst this are tonnes of boring remakes, sequals blah blah blah. I certainly won''t spend too much time at the flicks this year anyhow!

Oop, also to add The Inbetweeners movie will be aired this summer followed by a couple of one off ''special'' episodes to end the series

The Inbetweeners is grossGrown men playing adolescents -yuk Reminds me of Greyfriars and Bunter

The Avengers is the one Joss Whedon is doing isn''t it? Will definatly go and see that.

And probably the Inbetweeners film.... Isn''t their mean''t to be a Skins film as well?

As for The Hobbit no doubt Hollywood will rip all the magic out of what is s children''s book,  and  tip the balance towards the "action"just as they did with LOTR, and turn it into a CGI  battle fest with Smaug etc. They obviously have an eye on the ratings rather than sticking to the spirit of the book by casting a bunch of fit blokes as the dwarves,( JRRT spelling there in case you were getting the red pen out) going rather against JRRTs descriptions if I remember correctly.Can''t fault Freeman as Bilbo though ( unlike the startled rabbit act of Elijah Woods Frodo)

It isn''t really a ''Hollywood'' Production though.... New Line Cinema are part of one of the big studios, but it won''t be just a big cgi battle film.... LOTR wasn''t, go and find out the screen time of the battles over 9 hours of LOTR, i bet its no/not much more than an Hour.... And even if the books, have less than 1/9th written about the battles, they are much easier to portray, and will bring in audiences more.

I would be very happy if all films where made word for word to the books (apparently Scott Pilgrim, which i really enjoyed was very very close to the book/comic/graphic novels...) But my favourite books, the Darren Shan (vampire series), the film which was mean''t to be the first 3 books, pretty much used a ''loose'' (very loose) theme from them, and made a completely different story...But it was still a good film. Its obviously not that easy to turn a book into a film, you have to remember to some extent, that the film makers are artists, so want to make something original....The Hobbit will be different with Jackson directing, Del Torro wouldn''t have made the same film...

I don''t see how you can be condemning it (to an extent) before its out.... How do you know the actors who are playing the dwarfs won''t be made up to look like the books description?

(oh, and looking at ratings, of course they will be. Like LOTR they will be investing a lot of money into this, and film companies are businesses, they don''t like to throw money at a project if they don''t think it will do very well....)

Oh well I shall have to get out the Silmarilon and The Hobbit to see how well Aidan Turner is going to dwarf up! I have fingers crossed but the chunks of LOTRs  that were left out would have been  better left in instead of shifting the emphasis on Saruman and also making film minutes of battles and Isengard disproportionate to their place in the books -but that is adaptations for you, never as good as you want them to be.Of course like the Potter films, they have so many fans that there were always going to be bums on seats, before they drew in those who didnt have a clue. Don''t know about the Hobbit- one assumes everyone who has read LOTR has also read the Hobbit-  but I can''t see anyone of my generation who is a Tolkein fan not going to see it !

I''ve read the Hobbit and not LOTR :P I started reading LOTR, but stopped for some reason!!

It could be an average film, but i really liked LOTR, still one of my favourite films (all 3 of them) and with probably nearly all the same people working on it, i think it will be just as good.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands"]Where are the modern story-writers? Why can''t they come up with new stories? [/quote]They''re writing for TV. The last ten to fifteen years have seen countless original ideas on the small screen whilst Hollywood has become obsessed by CGI, pointless 3D and remakes of old ideas. For the past two years the best film I''ve seen has been a kids film (Up in 2009 and Toy Story 3 last year) and my LoveFilm rental list is crammed full of old films that I''ve never got round to watching previously.I''m much more excited about what''s coming up on TV this year than I am about anything that''s going to be on in the cinema.

Don''t worry WITS i will start writing films soon :P

I think one of the problems is, there isn''t that much left to cover... I think (my Mum told me) someone like Terry Pratchet (think it was him) said there are only like 3 (well a small number, maybe more than 3) original stories, everything else is branched out from them....

Shack said, the best two films he has seen have been Up and Toy Story 3 in the past two years, which i would agree both were very good. But i would also add to that list films like Inception (although i know some people don''t like it, but i love it....), Social Network (and maybe some others)...

But a lot of Hollywood, is having to either go for action packed CGI films (Like Avatar), use already famous actors to sell a film (anything with Johnny Depp, Di Caprio, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt etc in it), re-makes or take already fairly popular books etc (or comics, in the case of The Avnegers etc)

But even in TV, their is a divide. You can''t just walk into the TV business and create something new and creative out of the blue (especially in the UK) But it does offer you a better opportunity to do so.... certain networks will do things diffrently. In the UK, there isn''t all that much variety: Soaps, documentaries, Xfactor type stuff, crime/period/hospital dramas, quiz shows and News covers most of the TV schedule for BBC/ITV/C4...

While in America, they have all those things, but there is a lot more creativity (how many Zombie tv series are there made in the UK?) And the writers use their previous experiences to get jobs making TV shows they want to make, much easier than they could do in Film......

(btw, i did a lecture on this yesterday :P)

She was probably referring to religions- they have all shared the same stories more or less. But you are right, the idea of there being just a few basic plot structures has been written about.The film industry has to pander to the US Audiences so you get the National Geographic factor-ever read it? Every Article has to help US readers relate to the subject-an article on Norfolk would include bits about Lincoln, on Ireland about all the emigrants or the kennedys. History has to be distorted  and they can''t trust US audiences to watch something that feels a bit strange to them.I have a niggle with the pervasive urban American-Jewish  type humour that runs through all the lighthearted sort of movies-it has gone from Groucho to Ben Stiller and all the kids CGI movies- I think we are so used to it that we no longer notice.And the trend  in the past for all those baby faced boy actors-Damon, Pitt ( a bit) DiCaprio  and even Depp has left a bit of a gap in the serious leading man market which Neeson Fiennes and Day Lewis cant fill cos they are English and so have to be villains  ; )I have yet to see Inception but it will have to be good to overcome the Dicaprio handicap for me anyway.They have all the money in the US and all the markets because the world will watch US movies- but I don''t think they make the most of it really, not many awe inspiring exceptional movies these days are there? Nothing to compete with the impact of Gone With the Wind for instance.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Don''t worry WITS i will start writing films soon :P I think one of the problems is, there isn''t that much left to cover... I think (my Mum told me) someone like Terry Pratchet (think it was him) said there are only like 3 (well a small number, maybe more than 3) original stories, everything else is branched out from them....[/quote]

Check out Joseph Campbell''s The Hero''s Journey, you will be surprised how many movies fit into this idea. If you really are interested in writing screenplays and have a good idea for a story it is worth checking it off alongside the expectations of the movie studios. The more your story fits into the "pattern/s" the more chance you have of being successful.

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

[quote user="Woman in the Stands"] Where are the modern story-writers? Why can''t they come up with new stories? [/quote]

I think your perception is clouded somewhat, the amount of remakes is really not that high, the top ranking movie lists for 2010 are all more or less original, modern stories. I can understand the production companies being interested in remakes if;

They own the rights.

The original made good money.

Original fans may watch it for curiosity.

The movie would benefit from modern effects. 

[/quote]Sorry, those questions referred to musicals not films.

So what are peoples opinions on new 3D?Is it a fad?Will all films in 2011 be 3D?And of the films that have been,what''s been the best?

I haven''t actually seen any yet,but i have been listening to Kermode kicking off about it.

I don''t think all films will be 3-D, but i think it will stick around.

Avatar was visually very very good, and the 3-D really did help that. But out of the other two 3-D films i have seen (Shrek and Toy Story) neither really needed to be 3-D.. Toy-Story i would say was ''best 3-D film i have seen, but not because of the 3-D...

But the best 3 films i saw last year; Inception, Scott Pilgrim vs the World and Social Network (all at cinema...) were not in 3-D, although Inception could/maybe should have been...