Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

👍👍

After all these years I finally find out that they were Finnish. Did some good stuff back in the day.

Great song isn’t it! My mate had just seen them live in Leicester when he popped a cassette in the car for a cruise. 

• Like 1

Lots of painting (and playlists) this week. A right mix up here...

First of all, any Fischer Z fans here? One of my early guitar heroes was John Watts with that staccato style / 'white reggae'. Here is areprise of his 80's song

Soul singing from Rundgren

1944 vibe here...

Worth listening (if you have patience!) ... talk about a performance of the voice.

I'm not sure about the last one.😀  And Fischer Z completely passed me by. Sound interesting.

I'll re-recommend this album for you to listen to during your painting sessions. 50 minutes of ontemplative and unobtrusive music.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm not sure about the last one.😀  And Fischer Z completely passed me by. Sound interesting.

I'll re-recommend this album for you to listen to during your painting sessions. 50 minutes of ontemplative and unobtrusive music.

Cheers H.

That last song encapsulates my feelings about Brexit. Best Brexit song ever (....how about that for a segway to another thread? 😉)

FZ are still really important in Holland & Germany. Check out Marliese & So Long for their best known songs. Marliese is weird because it's written from the first person view of a stalker and when you know that it becomes so more unsettling but clever. Watts' songs are nearly always political or protest in content. He is now getting on (like us all) so the voice is deeper.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

After watching zombieland today was reminded of this classic. There's only 20 seconds in the film but it lead me to investigate.

Also. Ozark. a lot of good music in that. And worth a watch.

• Like 1

That has a hint of Sparklehorse. Nice one.👍

Something for @How I Wrote Elastic Man Thurston Moore had a webchat with Grauniad readers.This question popped up.

13:11

chaoticink asks:

Did you ever want to be a full time, revolving, Fall member? And what is your favourite Fall track? Ta, and keep safe

User avatar for ThurstonMoore Guardian contributor

My favourite Fall track is difficult because there's quite a few – I'm going to say Psycho Mafia. Sonic Youth covered it on a Peel Session, and we did an entire Peel Session in the 1980s where we covered all Fall songs – Psycho Mafia, My New House, we ever did a cover of Victoria as covered by the Fall. I never really fancied myself being in the Fall because I never really wanted to be in a band where there was one leader – that's all there is to it. But as far as leaders go, Mark E Smith is one of the most legendary, by far. A remarkable individual and lyricist and frontman and singer and character and raconteur. Sonic Youth played some shows with the Fall early on, I remember flying from the US to Iceland and then to Europe to play shows with the Fall in 1983 or 1982. And becoming friendly with some of the Fall people – certainly Brix is a good friend. Mark would always make disparaging comments about Sonic Youth and myself in the press, as he was wont to do, but that was part of his modus operandi. By far one of the most significant bands coming out of the late 1970s, is the Fall. Undeniable. I'd play with them now, maybe. I loved both books by the Hanley brothers, their memoirs about the Fall, they're both fantastic. Highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

You will never be able to unsee this (keep watching, there's a particularly special bit about 2:30 in):

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Haven't played this for ages

I forgot my phone was on full volume when I clicked on this.😲😳 Great song, even if it did make me jump.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

The drumming from Topper is superb. Top tune of mine.

I don’t think I really appreciated how good Topper was. I heard a quote that a band is only as good as it’s drummer which is quite true.

Toppers a great drummer. Goes against that often said myth that punk bands couldn't play their instruments.

And yeah I'm bias but the drummer is clearly the most important member of the band!!! Except Coldplay where they're all equally dull. Tonight I think I'll plug In the kit, grab a beer and attempt to play some clash songs 😁

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Tonight I think I'll plug In the kit,

You’ve got an electric kit ? What are they like ? I’m tempted to get a budget end kit to have some fun with

11 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

You’ve got an electric kit ? What are they like ? I’m tempted to get a budget end kit to have some fun with

I'd say get a mesh one if budget allows. The rubber pads I've tried in the past are pointless if I'm honest. Mine is double mesh and feels good. Almost like a proper kit. It's an alesis crimson mesh SE. 

I'd be suprised if they ever felt like an acoustic kit but if that isn't possible due to noise/space electric options are decent these days. 

Still cant get that Bonham stairwell sound but even in the last couple of years they've improved so much.

Also I have a kit consisting entirely of cowbells 😁😁

• Like 1

Top noodling. RIP Eddie. Another great gone.

Hair, misogyny and guitar solos. 80s heavy rockbut done well.

Edited by Herman
  • Sad 1

I stumbled across this recently:

He has an interesting backstory, although a sad ending.

Which reminds me of this. Another sad life story, although probably more self-destructive in this case. Townes van Zandt said of Foley "He's only gone crazy once. Decided to stay." Merle Haggard covered this and called it possibly the best country song ever written. Gets me every time I hear it.

• Like 1

There's something oddly likeable about that Robbie Basho song. Not an easy voice to listen to and some will be put off but it has a certain haunting quality to it.👍

1 hour ago, Herman said:

There's something oddly likeable about that Robbie Basho song. Not an easy voice to listen to and some will be put off but it has a certain haunting quality to it.👍

It brought this back to me:

I still remember watching this at the time and being utterly gripped. There is something other-worldly about them, along with vulnerability. 

Danny Carey. Tool drummer. Probably the best drummer most people have never heard of. Possibly as alot of people don't want to listen to long songs with unconventional structures and uncommon time signatures! I will admit I do have to be in the right mood!

He has stated in interviews that he effectively treats his feet as he does his hands: he practices rudiments (used for sticking techniques) and even snare drum solos with his feet to improve his double bass drumming, hi-hat control and foot independence.

What a beast! I should retire from drumming now!

5 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Danny Carey. Tool drummer. Probably the best drummer most people have never heard of. Possibly as alot of people don't want to listen to long songs with unconventional structures and uncommon time signatures! I will admit I do have to be in the right mood!

He has stated in interviews that he effectively treats his feet as he does his hands: he practices rudiments (used for sticking techniques) and even snare drum solos with his feet to improve his double bass drumming, hi-hat control and foot independence.

What a beast! I should retire from drumming now!

Just listened to this for the first time. I found that I was counting to try and work out what he was doing rather than enjoy everything as a whole. He certainly knows what he’s doing though, must have taken him ages to learn how to drum like that.