Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

1.One of the best live shows I ever saw. Isaac G (RIP). About 20 there in a pub in Leeds. Honoured to have seen him.

2. Karen Hudson. 

3. Susanne Sundfør.

4. Radio Dept.

• Like 1

The music starts just before three minutes in:

The fun moment is just after 7 minutes when Etherridge throatily delivers the line 'So Mary climb in' and Sprinsteen corpses at its perfection.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

A big regret I have is not sticking around to see Bruce at Glastonbury. I went off to watch Franz Ferdinand, who although were good, they aren't Bruce.

One longer listen this evening...

Ruth Gipps again.

@Ron ....not seen you about recently. Hope all is well. Missing your music selections!

Well I royally c0cked that up. And I burnt me spuds. Can't seem to remove youtube links; anyway here goes again:

Hi chaps.

Ta for your concern. Just had a rest from the forum as I was finding all the negativity a bit much. 

Anyway, Ruth Gipps has been on my to listen to list for a while - thanks sonyc for the reminder. Lovely. Very VWish but with her own distinctive voice. A real find.

The Capriol suite has been a fave for years, I've got a CD somewhere ('English String Music' ?) 'with Holst St. Paul's suite & I think some Britten on it as well.

The Kate Bush & Sam Lee (first time hearing) tracks from a couple of days ago I really liked. Folk music can inspire some incredibly moving stuff & lends itself to some wonderful invention if done right.

Might as well post some stuff while I'm here.

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 1

Welcome back Ron. Thanks for those comments and new selections. Some music to accompany my reading tonight ("How green was my valley"). Cheers. Chuffed you like Ruth Gipps. Really interesting to read about her life (there are only a few sources).

I feel much the same about taking a break and shall be doing the same. You can tend otherwise to have too thin a diet if you are are reading and responding. It's not that healthy. Little and often perhaps. As for music (and reading and other creative stuff...I paint for example), the more the merrier!

Uplifting pieces here (3 to 5 minutes). Thoughtful, dreamy, new classical / jazz and ending with some escapism and a sound of modern Turkey (song translated as "consistent fantasy is reality") ....a fun video which looks populated by people who might be one's neighbours (in parts)

16 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Well I royally c0cked that up. And I burnt me spuds. Can't seem to remove youtube links; anyway here goes again:

Hi chaps.

Ta for your concern. Just had a rest from the forum as I was finding all the negativity a bit much. 

Anyway, Ruth Gipps has been on my to listen to list for a while - thanks sonyc for the reminder. Lovely. Very VWish but with her own distinctive voice. A real find.

The Capriol suite has been a fave for years, I've got a CD somewhere ('English String Music' ?) 'with Holst St. Paul's suite & I think some Britten on it as well.

The Kate Bush & Sam Lee (first time hearing) tracks from a couple of days ago I really liked. Folk music can inspire some incredibly moving stuff & lends itself to some wonderful invention if done right.

Might as well post some stuff while I'm here.

Really thoughtful pieces for a selection (enjoyed VW as ever and very unusual SS song compositionally, plus The Water is Wide is a favourite folk song. First heard Judith Durham sing it with the Seekers....as a very young boy she was my first love interest!).

A right mixed bag here...harp, piano, French attitude and ancient choral. Might be one folk like.

Good selections lads, especially the Claire Jones piece. And who is the guitarist in Darryl's band? (The one with the chequerboard design guitar.)

Edited by Herman

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Good selections lads, especially the Claire Jones piece. And who is the guitarist in Darryl's band? (The one with the chequerboard design guitar.)

That is Rick Nielsen, one of the original members of Cheap Trick three of who were all playing on the above track.

He uses Hamer guitars and had his own style made by the company.

Another mix up... post punk, neo classical, Handel choral and well known pop.

• Like 2

Will still post some stuff unless it appears a dead thread.... bit more 70s into 80s

People have used the word "Churchillian" on that other thread so channelling that, here is a lesser known Supertramp piece. 

And secondly, a ruminative Bowie track

And The Tubes (around 1979 I think)

Finally, an almost operatic number by Sweet. My favourite of theirs.

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

I didn't know Derek Smalls played in Sweet as well.😀

Yeah, It's a great video isn't it. Christopher Guest must have got lots of inspiration from them 

Poor old Brian Connelly, drank himself to death. RIP.

Sweet made quite poppy singles but live on stage were very much a rock band.

And who doesn't like the The Tubes. Saw them in a little theatre in Penzance a few years back and they were the consumate been there done that band. Absolutely brilliant and faultless.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sweet made quite poppy singles but live on stage were very much a rock band.

And who doesn't like the The Tubes. Saw them in a little theatre in Penzance a few years back and they were the consumate been there done that band. Absolutely brilliant and faultless.

That Remote Control album was produced by Rundgren. You probably knew. You can hear though, in parts it reeks of him!

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

That Remote Control album was produced by Rundgren. You probably knew. You can hear though, in parts it reeks of him!

Yes he also produced the Love Bomb Album which was their last before the big breakup and Prairie Prince and the late Vince Welnick became part of Todd's band, although Prairie went on to be in both bands.

Todd does stamp his sound into others songs when he produces. I remember XTC complaining about him when he produced an album of theirs. They didn 't want his sound overlaying their quintessential Britpop sound.

21 hours ago, Herman said:

Looking through my collection for upbeat things. Hope you like.

Enjoyed those Herman esp as hadn't heard of The Go! team or Four Try. Run out of reactions but 👍

• Thanks 1