Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Next 4 stuff that made me think: did I just hear that??

There was a great programme on BBC4 the other night about Eel Pie Island. Mentioned The Artwoods, & i associate them with the first track (although not them obvs.)

Second track was on Juke Box Jury.Yes, alongside Pinky & Perky & Englebert Humperdick. WTF is occurring? Thought I

Third I've got somewhere. Thought it brilliant then, &, having just listened to it, I still do.

Last is .. well .. the lyrics just, like, blew my mind. Man. Never, ever thought I'd hear it again. Thank God for youtube

" I am physician to the wind, & what is more

I am father to a thousand children

mother to a thousand million more "       😐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Lots of clapping and saucepan lids being banged together

Stomp??

• Like 1

Great stuff and lovin' the positive vibe tonight. 

Remember going to Judie Tzuke gig ...must have been 79/80 and my mate was allowed to be the photographer with access and somewhere I have loads of contact prints of her, close ups etc. That was her big break number (think she had one other minor hit, can't recall it ATM). Recall just gawping at her really ...as a slip of a lad (well... 20 ish then).

42 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Great stuff and lovin' the positive vibe tonight. 

Remember going to Judie Tzuke gig ...must have been 79/80 and my mate was allowed to be the photographer with access and somewhere I have loads of contact prints of her, close ups etc. That was her big break number (think she had one other minor hit, can't recall it ATM). Recall just gawping at her really ...as a slip of a lad (well... 20 ish then).

Stay with me till dawn

Okay...leaving these tonight for tomorrow. More rock/pop and I could have picked so may examples but limiting myself to just one from each...

1. From the 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus ... Spirit, 1970. Could have chosen any of the 12, they're that good. Has to be in my top 10 album list. Ahead of their time.

2. Early Carole King. Class. The album "Everything's been said" is uniformly strong. 

3. Again, I could choose maybe 50 Rundgren tracks (Keelansgrandad is fan) so I picked a very recent one of the 70 year old (at the time). Todd was the soundtrack of my youth.

4. Love John Watts guitar (biggest influence when I played). This 80s vibe might now seem dated (with cold war theme too) but I love the interplay of guitars and his taut voice. Still going is the old fella (big in Netherlands/Germany/Belgium)

Love this thread btw. It's just the antidote to what's happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, First Wazzock said:

Stay with me till dawn

Yep, that's the one here FW. Didn't she have a follow up minor hit too?

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yep, that's the one here FW. Didn't she have a follow up minor hit too?

Reckon it's either For You or Sports Car.

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Reckon it's either For You or Sports Car.

Cheers R. 

Just now, ron obvious said:

Or could be Understanding, or Welcome to the Cruise or ...

I'd forgotten how many good tracks she recorded

Welcome to the Cruise sounds right actually (unless that was an album name)...have to Google!

Most of the stuff I play is a million miles away from what most of you guys listen to.

Being someone who has - and would occasionally still now - DJed, most of the stuff I am familiar with is quite commercial. Although having said that I do have some quirky stuff, even on the more commercial spectrum. The love of my life is soul. Old R&B, Motown, Northern Soul, Philly, Salsoul - all the stuff a DJ who wants people to dance should be playing!

Although now days my gear - old as it is, mainly Pioneer, but not the latest stuff - is for digital use. But I have kept my vinyl about 4500 singles, loads of LPs and 12'' singles. The most valuable thing I hold is an acetate, I Can Hear Music by Larry Lurex. It was given to me at the Radio One Roadshow in Great Yarmouth in the mid 70s. I'm thinking about selling it...it's not going for under 8.5 K (possibly)!!!

9 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Most of the stuff I play is a million miles away from what most of you guys listen to.

Being someone who has - and would occasionally still now - DJed, most of the stuff I am familiar with is quite commercial. Although having said that I do have some quirky stuff, even on the more commercial spectrum. The love of my life is soul. Old R&B, Motown, Northern Soul, Philly, Salsoul - all the stuff a DJ who wants people to dance should be playing!

Although now days my gear - old as it is, mainly Pioneer, but not the latest stuff - is for digital use. But I have kept my vinyl about 4500 singles, loads of LPs and 12'' singles. The most valuable thing I hold is an acetate, I Can Hear Music by Larry Lurex. It was given to me at the Radio One Roadshow in Great Yarmouth in the mid 70s. I'm thinking about selling it...it's not going for under 8.5 K (possibly)!!!

Post em up FW. Nothing wrong with Philly soul, Motown .....whatever. Just share anything because there's no-one to argue with or judge negatively (unlike Brexit or CV threads!)

• Like 1

This is the sort of stuff I am talking about...

I have this on an American 12'' - might be worth a few quid! - like the black cover showing early in the song!

I'll be listening to this guy a bit tonight. Now he has passed on its easy to forget some of the great music he provided and isn't Lovely Day one of the greatest pop songs ever?

• Like 2

Tonight's theme. Oh Canada!!!  (Classic, beautiful, upbeat, noisy.)

• Like 2

Judiie's son in law is Lewis Moody the ex England rugby player. Very pretty lady in her time.

The Todd Rundgren song Lets Do This is a real return to every style that Todd has morphed into over the years, and there are many of those. As a virtuoso guitar player I am glad he has left electronic music behind. It is too limiting for a man of his great talent. At least he has received another nomination for the Hall of Fame and he deserves to be in there more than some others. Greatness isn't just based on popularity or sales.

He is bringing out a new album after collaborating with Neil Finn and Steve Vai so I look forward to that.

Nice ones Herman. Apart from Neil (loved him since Buffalo Springfield days) all new to me & all interesting.

Debussy to start. It was on my 2nd classical LP i'd ever bought, & was disappointed because Claire De Lune wasn't on it. Surely Debussy couldn't have written more than an LPs worth of piano music??

Fun Boy Three next. Just love Terry Hall's stage presence. And what the Hell is Myra Hindley doing on drums?

Brass bands. I love brass bands. I can see the cloud shadows drifting across the scree ...

I don't really know why i like the last track. His voice just appeals to me when other similar ones don't. It rings true somehow.

Just realised these are completely different to the ones I was going to post earlier! Watch this space pop pickers ...

• Like 2

Just had a listen to your two FW : triffic! 1st one particularly would get this granddad on the floor struttin' his stuff (provided the appliance holds up of course). Second put me in mind of Martha & The Vandellas; Nowhere To Run was a particular fave of mine. Keep that groove goin'!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Excellent stuff HIWEM, H, RO and FW.

Will be good to hear your stuff Elastic Man.... Loved Totally Wired when it came out ... recall right now being at my friend's shared house, half the room out of their heads and this on repeated play (along with Horse I think by Iggy Pop....could have got my dates wrong). Beefheart reminds me of Zappa too and another music era.

For my 4 tonight: in Herman's one word intro style...smooth, energetic, uplifting, 'english'

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Judiie's son in law is Lewis Moody the ex England rugby player. Very pretty lady in her time.

The Todd Rundgren song Lets Do This is a real return to every style that Todd has morphed into over the years, and there are many of those. As a virtuoso guitar player I am glad he has left electronic music behind. It is too limiting for a man of his great talent. At least he has received another nomination for the Hall of Fame and he deserves to be in there more than some others. Greatness isn't just based on popularity or sales.

He is bringing out a new album after collaborating with Neil Finn and Steve Vai so I look forward to that.

Didn't know that KG. Neil Finn an interesting choice.

He still tours and pretty much non-stop. Wish he would come to the UK but it could be a long while.

Did you ever see any of those Darryl's House YouTube songs? The live playing is just at another level. Proper soul ....

Ps. Cheers for the Bill Withers track. Good choice. 

Edited by sonyc

Great stuff HIWEM. I take it the last track provided your nom de forum? The Fall are a band I've been meaning to check out when I've got time ... oh ...

The Good Captain is just a total enigma. Someone said how they put Trout Mask Replica on the player & gave up after a few minutes, tried it again out of curiosity months later, gave up, tried again later, tried again ... now they can't do without it.  The other Cannes track is prob my favourite 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

@2:57 "Here´s Judie Tzuke, to take us up to the news"

• Haha 1