Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

14 hours ago, Herman said:

Anna Clyne keeps popping up on 3 recently so you deserve to hear it again too.

I watched this the other day after hearing it on Hannah French's slot. Love the cellos!

Julia Kent might be worth a listen too - she sometimes does darker pieces, often using loops.

Edit: I will copy one here.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks @sonyc. I'll give that a good listen later on. There are some fantastic female composers around. 👍

Good shout. I like that and will add her to the list.👍👍

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 18/03/2024 at 17:28, Canary73 said:

This takes me back to Saturday afternoons as a kid, and in particular wrestling. I was fascinated by one wrestler in particular called Kendo Nagasaki, who always fought with a mask which he never took off . He had a samurai honour theme, throwing salt around the ring before fighting, and had sworn only to take the mask off when he lost. There’s a good Arena on iPlayer about Peter Blake painting his portrait.

IMG_0101.jpeg

So when I heard Stuart Maconie play a band called Kendo Nagasaki, I really wanted to like it, which I did, they remind me a bit of The Comet is Coming. When I found out what instruments comprise the band, I liked them even more. Have a listen and try to guess.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Canary73 said:

Wow. The sort of thing that is hilarious to watch if you’re stoned. Allegedly.

I can imagine the conversation when they sat down to make the video.

”How are we going to manage this on a budget of £250?”

”I’ve got a neon sign that says ‘art’, would that help?”

“And I’ve got a shop dummy and all these pieces from a broken mirror.”

”Do you know, with a short clip of a spaceship landing on a rocky surface, we just might have something…”

I have to say though, the Rah Band’s vision of the future of telecommunications was far more exciting than the reality.

Edit: sorry, the RAH Band. I’m going to have to look up what it stood for now.

Second edit: wow again. RAH is Richard Anthony Hewson who began in the late 1960s as an arranger, and has worked with musicians such as the Beatles ("I Me Mine" and "The Long and Winding Road"), the Bee Gees(Melody), James Taylor ("Carolina in My Mind"), Herbie Hancock, Clifford T. Ward, Supertramp, Pilot (Pilot), Diana Ross, Carly Simon, Art Garfunkel, Leo Sayer, Paul McCartney (Thrillington), Mary Hopkin ("Those Were The Days"), Al Stewart, Chris de Burgh, Fleetwood Mac and Chris Rea. Quite a list.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Here they are live.

Two drummers, a trombone and lots of effects pedals. Nothing else.

Serenade for Strings Op48 just on Radio 3 which reminded me of this...

• Like 1

On 22/03/2024 at 16:29, Nuff Said said:

This takes me back to Saturday afternoons as a kid, and in particular wrestling. I was fascinated by one wrestler in particular called Kendo Nagasaki, who always fought with a mask which he never took off . He had a samurai honour theme, throwing salt around the ring before fighting, and had sworn only to take the mask off when he lost. There’s a good Arena on iPlayer about Peter Blake painting his portrait.

IMG_0101.jpeg

So when I heard Stuart Maconie play a band called Kendo Nagasaki, I really wanted to like it, which I did, they remind me a bit of The Comet is Coming. When I found out what instruments comprise the band, I liked them even more. Have a listen and try to guess.

Dave ‘Fit’ Finlay’s ring entrance to Boney M’s Belfast….

• Like 1

A bit of fun. Think of a TV show and star this could be a theme tune for.

The Influencer starring Peter Wyngarde.

TELEMMGLPICT000151620795_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq9FyvhwCnHcMhHALs2CEh5Zc-feFGWCZRAkYSeWxOxEY.thumb.jpeg.0c49dc4570e39064880f0be1f433ac35.jpeg

• Like 1