Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

1 hour ago, Herman said:

One for @How I Wrote Elastic Man I saw a poster for this last night. Shame I missed it.😀

Live Music - The Cramps - The Electric Ballroom - UK

Saw The Cramps at The Paradiso in Amsterdam on my birthday in 1991. Awful gig, Lux was wearing seethrough PVC trousers with no underwear 🤮 and didn’t sing, just deepthroated the mic all night. Off The Bone is a great album though.

Added the ticket, although it doesn’t say who was playing!

E47E74D6-A571-478A-B29E-0E45ACF86AFC.jpeg

50D47969-08E6-443E-8766-A78AA8C521DD.jpeg

Edited by Mr Angry
  • Haha 1

That doesn't sound pleasant at all.😀

The gig at the EB was 1980, very early days for them and promoting a good album.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

That doesn't sound pleasant at all.😀

The gig at the EB was 1980, very early days for them and promoting a good album.

Have you heard the Bananamen EP? The Sting-Rays under a pseudonym, playing 3 songs from Off The Bone, which were all songs by other artists-Surfin’ Bird, Love Me and The Crusher. Almost becomes ridiculous 🤣

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Have you heard the Bananamen EP? The Sting-Rays under a pseudonym, playing 3 songs from Off The Bone, which were all songs by other artists-Surfin’ Bird, Love Me and The Crusher. Almost becomes ridiculous 🤣

Cheers for that. That version of Surfin Bird is off the wall in a good way.👍

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Cheers for that. That version of Surfin Bird is off the wall in a good way.👍

Yeah, it’s been a while since I listened, might have to get the vinyl out later.

• Like 1

Anyone seen Pistol on the Disney channel ? Steve Jones version of the Sex Pistols story, all a bit panto and with a fair bit of embellishment but still quite watchable 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Anyone seen Pistol on the Disney channel ? Steve Jones version of the Sex Pistols story, all a bit panto and with a fair bit of embellishment but still quite watchable 

Yeah thought the actors playing Johnny R and Malcolm McDonald absolutely killed it. Really excellent acting to capture their little mannerisms so perfectly.

Thought the show was watchable but I wasn't deeply into it, which was a shame because I had really looked forward to it

Edited by kick it off

Driving up to Blackpool today I listened to The Redskins Live-listened to it twice in fact. They were a criminally underrated band who wore their heart on their sleeve and if they were around today they would no doubt be piling into the current government in a way that nobody seems to be at the moment.

I can’t find the live album on YouTube so here is their only studio album, Neither Washington Nor Moscow.

• Like 2

Following Charles becoming king I was looking at a few tunes with that theme. Three here:

1. A weird pop song really because of the lyrics - slightly threat in the words that don't go with the pop video! Yet love the simple bass line mixed up quite high. Bit under-rated?

2. Well titled. Liquid guitar. 2 minutes plus of it.

3. It was only when I watched this that I realised I miss Tom Petty. Stunning strings at 3.59/4.00 that 'marries' the video and makes it quite a moving piece.

• Like 1

That Petty song is ace.👍

Anyway, hears one for you ol' folkies, thanks to Petroc T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got tickets to see Sheku Kanneh Mason again today - this time in a venue in Leeds which holds a max of 450 people. Really looking forward to this one 🙂

• Like 1

Just what we need right now

22 hours ago, Herman said:

That Petty song is ace.👍

If you like Petty, listen to Mudcrutch

On 29/09/2022 at 22:21, Herman said:

This album is a gift that keeps on giving. Some great jazz piano on this.

• Like 1

My favourite ever piece of music I believe. That's a difficult thing to say.

There have been many versions of this movement by  Ravel on the radio recently. None get anywhere near close to how Bernstein plays this (and conducts at the same time from the piano!). Amazing how differently a piece of music can sound when played by different people.

This must be THE version surely that the great Ravel intended. It can bring me to tears.Looking at the comments I now have discovered only this morning that others feel the same! And I used to think it was just me.

Apologies for my self indulgent eulogy here. If only one more person really likes it though it's worth the share.

• Like 1

I know this covers a pretty broad range but any jazz recommendations? I'm building my Lego jazz quartet and need appropriate background music. Had some weather report and some crazy drumming so far

On 03/10/2022 at 20:12, Herman said:

That Petty song is ace.👍

Hadn't heard this in years.  Thanks for the memories!

• Thanks 1

I do like the “Released on this day in ….”posts that come up in my social media, even if they do make me feel very old. Yesterday was 39 years ago that Temple of Love by the Sisters of Mercy was released. The original 12” was a student disco dance floor filler-unfortunately the 1992 remix featured backing vocals by Ofra Haza which completely ruined it in my view.

Then we have Uncertain Smile by The The, one of my all time favourite records-my mum liked it as well! Best use of xylophones ever. Another great 12”, although the album version with a crazy piano part played by Jools Holland, is almost as good.

Then The Wonder Stuff. No anniversaries but there was a question on Twitter about who was the best frontman of early 90s indie bands and Miles Hunt was mentioned a lot-still knocking it out of the park today too.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I do like the “Released on this day in ….”posts that come up in my social media, even if they do make me feel very old. Yesterday was 39 years ago that Temple of Love by the Sisters of Mercy was released. The original 12” was a student disco dance floor filler-unfortunately the 1992 remix featured backing vocals by Ofra Haza which completely ruined it in my view.

Then we have Uncertain Smile by The The, one of my all time favourite records-my mum liked it as well! Best use of xylophones ever. Another great 12”, although the album version with a crazy piano part played by Jools Holland, is almost as good.

Then The Wonder Stuff. No anniversaries but there was a question on Twitter about who was the best frontman of early 90s indie bands and Miles Hunt was mentioned a lot-still knocking it out of the park today too.

Cartoon Boyfriend is one of my favourites from The Wonder Stuff.

Edited by sonyc

5 hours ago, sonyc said:

Cartoon Boyfriend is one of my favourites from The Wonder Stuff.

Yeah, nice playing from Fiddlie on that one 👍

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

My favourite, I’ve seen Miles and Erica live but not the whole band, it’s on my list of bands to see

They are one of my favourite bands live and my best mate is a huge fan too so I'm wondering why we didn't see them on this year's tour. They were doing the delayed 30th anniversary of Never Loved Elvis which has some mellower tracks than previously-and the awful Size Of A Cow-but also has great tracks like Mission Drive, Caught In My Shadow and Donation. I imagine they'll be touring in 2023 so you'll get your chance soon 👍

• Like 1