Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

6 hours ago, Van wink said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this last night, maybe should be on the nature thread as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001bnjw/bbc-proms-2022-bbcs-earth-prom-with-chris-packham

Public Sector Broadcasting on at the Proms tonight I have just discovered, on radio 3 I believe.

I started listening to this on Sounds but it needs the visuals too. 

2 hours ago, Herman said:

I started listening to this on Sounds but it needs the visuals too. 

Definitely

• Like 1

On 30/08/2022 at 08:26, Van wink said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this last night, maybe should be on the nature thread as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001bnjw/bbc-proms-2022-bbcs-earth-prom-with-chris-packham

Public Sector Broadcasting on at the Proms tonight I have just discovered, on radio 3 I believe.

Just listening to PSB now. So far, so good. It should be on TV on Friday evening according to the host. 

I have the sneaky suspicion that you will love it @Van wink

Edited by Herman
  • Thanks 1

Just found this one. One of the great BS&T songs from their revered 2nd album. Saw them in NZ and it was one the highlights of my musical life. David Clayton Thomas and Tom Jones, two great singers, what more could you ask for. And a brilliant solo from the magnificent Fred Lipsius on sax.

That's good. To my shame Ive never heard any lovin sponful except Summer in the city. Feel free to tell me it's their worst song and the true fans hate it!

He sounds like a horse Dennis Wilson here. That's a good thing!

Edited by The Raptor

Beans on toast tonight for me. Fun fact releases a new album every December 1st on his birthday.

Plus bonus Coolio. Hated at the time but grown to appreciate. He really means it in this version. Skip to 60 seconds 

• Like 1

A couple of mellow ones thanks to 3 and Night Tracks. One a repeat, but a different version and one showing how to do a cover.

• Like 1

Reggae tonight. All are surprisingly tricky to play.

Allegedly they aren't because people just assumed reggae's played by stoners😂

but you get the point I hope? Tight but loose. 

Also the real deal and a bit of ska punk. Just because 

• Like 1

Night Tracks has become really decent in the last few weeks. Really diverse and much stuff I've not heard or knew about @Herman

I've left a couple here (very different) that struck well with me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Not every day a queen dies. I'll briefly take over this thread too with this tribute.

I bloody love this!

“Nay, we are but men - ROCK!” 😂

However, it has spoilt most hard rock/heavy metal forever for me. I just can’t take it remotely seriously now.

I’ve not seen this version before though, if they are hinting that Stairway to Heaven is the best song in the world, they are very wrong. It’s sh1te.

I can’t believe that I forgot to mention that my mate’s band, Knock Off, were playing at The Brickmakers in Norwich on Friday 😳

If you want to see what you missed, here’s a video of them playing at the Rebellion Festival in Blackpool last month. If streetpunk/Oi is not your thing, don’t bother 🤣

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

And a good choon to boot 👍

I like the vitriol. Much needed. 

On 11/09/2022 at 11:08, Mr Angry said:

I can’t believe that I forgot to mention that my mate’s band, Knock Off, were playing at The Brickmakers in Norwich on Friday 😳

If you want to see what you missed, here’s a video of them playing at the Rebellion Festival in Blackpool last month. If streetpunk/Oi is not your thing, don’t bother 🤣

Blimey, it’s been a few years since I last heard Oi mentioned.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Blimey, it’s been a few years since I last heard Oi mentioned.

Lots of it at Rebellion, some from America. Tbh I was a bit worried when my mate joined this band as I always thought Oi had a bit of a right wing bias but it appears that I was mistaken which I am pleased about.

17 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Lots of it at Rebellion, some from America. Tbh I was a bit worried when my mate joined this band as I always thought Oi had a bit of a right wing bias but it appears that I was mistaken which I am pleased about.

I used to read Sounds in the early eighties when Gary Bushell wrote for them which I think is when Oi began. I seem to remember a left-wing inclination which became more and more right-wing as time went on, the skinhead links were obviously were part of that (although weren’t the original skinheads actually mainly fans of ska and black music?). Good to hear it’s gone full circle.

Edited by Nuff Said

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I used to read Sounds in the early eighties when Gary Bushell wrote for them which I think is when Oi began. I seem to remember a left-wing inclination which became more and more right-wing as time went on, the skinhead links were obviously were part of that (although weren’t the original skinheads actually mainly fans of ska and black music?). Good to hear it’s gone full circle.

I read Sounds too but for some reason I couldn’t stand Garry Bushell. He was playing Rebellion with his band The Gonads but didn’t watch them. Apparently he provided the inspiration for the name of a band from Norwich, as he used to finish his articles in Sounds with the words “And now off down the pub for some Serious Drinking”.