Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Been playing 45 singles on my new turntable tonight after setting up the cabinet for half hour. The counterweight needed more adjusting as some of my Farmers Boys singles kept experiencing slipping tone arms and stuck needles.

Corrected the problem now and have been playing through their singles to make sure my records all play properly.

Real pain in the backside this counterweight adjusting, but it’s turned out worth it in the end!.

Might start a YouTube channel dedicated to my collection playing the singles and some album-only tracks.

• Like 3

Bumper Cars  - Alfa Mist

The Studio video is exquisite 

you either Jazz or don’t 🙂

Edited by Foxy2600
Link
  • Like 2

The idea with my channel is that I’ll only play stuff that isn’t commercially available anymore, but only through second hand sellers.

Farmers Boys only have their first album up on Spotify and iTunes and it’s not available on CD anymore. You can only get it second hand, but will only play from the second album what isn’t available when parting with your money is concerned.

I’ve been through a lot of candidates tonight and will add Town to Town by Microdisney on there, seeing you can’t get the Crooked Mile album anywhere.

Its going to be all about spreading the word and giving some appreciation to bands who never got the success they deserved, all to a point hardly any of their work is available today or not at all. I’m even going to put a disclaimer on my videos saying that it’s not a violation of the artists rights, more free promotion, as YouTube is such a grey area these days.

Livingstone were a short-lived Britpop band who I’ll definitely play. Their album “Monkey” never got released, but there is a blog online all about the band and the former band members are working on getting it out there.

Tonight I played Foals first album on vinyl for the first time, really does sound amazing on there after years of CDs and Spotify, it’s like the music is compressed when it’s on CD or digital and elements from the background of the music just go.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 3

Well Mr Cornwall - all in the public domain…… we’re all sitting here at the bar drinking beer and enjoying the music. No - one is allowed to pick more than one tune before passing the Smart Remote on 😀

• Haha 1

.... the Homer and David Byrne penned "Everyone Hates Ned Flanders" is a corker. 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

.... the Homer and David Byrne penned "Everyone Hates Ned Flanders" is a corker. 😀

That’s just brilliant, especially when even Ned himself starts singing along with it!🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

That’s just brilliant, especially when even Ned himself starts singing along with it!🤣🤣🤣

😀👍

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I remember Livingstone, I'll have to check them out again 

They did have the video for this on the ITV Chart Show back in 1997 when the single was re-issued. It’s up on YouTube along with the rest of that week’s Indie Chart top 10.

Their album “Monkey” was supposed to follow around that time, but Silvertone wound up leaving it unreleased. There has been efforts as of this year to get it out there, but there are legal gubbins getting in the way as well as Covid issues, so let’s watch this space.

Edit: Here’s the video at No.9 and the only online source for the band 

http://livingstonethe90sband.blogspot.com/2017/03/livingstone-their-music.html?m=1

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

When Do We Start Fighting? has to be the album of 2001 for me. “Cloaking” is a belter of a track despite being like just over two minutes and “Splinter” should have done better than the former and got the band further up the charts.

”Led By Bison” is what got me into them while watching MTV 2.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

While we are in the 90's 

Another underrated band who this time round unlike all the others I’ve mentioned, are still together and released a sh*t load of albums.

They did a kickstarter thing for their most recent album, in which you could take a trip to the studio and see the band recording the album, followed by quite a few other perks.

• Like 1

Keeping with the 90s….. dug out “Regular Urban Survivors” earlier today, forgotten was a fantastic album it is.

This was the second or third single from it, quite a fitting title to dedicate to the awful actress who plays psycho Meena in Emmerdale.

As the quality is quite bad due to being a VH-1 transfer from a VHS, here’s theTop of the Pops appearance.

Donny Hathaways daughter Layla with the usual collaboration with Robert Glasper. It’s just out so the vid is a little naff. Hopefully they will bring their act live to Europe soon !

Edited by Foxy2600
Predictive Text fail

On 17/11/2021 at 21:58, KernowCanary said:

Been playing 45 singles on my new turntable tonight after setting up the cabinet for half hour. The counterweight needed more adjusting as some of my Farmers Boys singles kept experiencing slipping tone arms and stuck needles.

Corrected the problem now and have been playing through their singles to make sure my records all play properly.

Real pain in the backside this counterweight adjusting, but it’s turned out worth it in the end!.

Might start a YouTube channel dedicated to my collection playing the singles and some album-only tracks.

I imagine the Masterbag flexidisc version of Muck It Out would be absolutely impossible to play 🤣

Just now, Mr Angry said:

I imagine the Masterbag flexidisc version of Muck It Out would be absolutely impossible to play 🤣

That’s one of those square records made out of thin plastic that you had to put another record below it isn’t it? 🤣🤣🤣. Readers Digest used to have round versions of them advertising their exclusive compliation albums.

I don’t think my stylus would hack it and might snap!🤣🤣🤣. I’ve seen the Masterbag version on eBay a few times with the magazine included.

I’ve got a cardboard Foo Fighters flexidisc which was included with Sonic Highways as a separate free item on mail order, which was clearly designed for the modern day players.

I bought the Pig Picture Disc of Muck it Out during the early stages of Covid last year, all I was doing was buying vinyl most of the time while saving up for the turntable I have now.

2 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

That’s one of those square records made out of thin plastic that you had to put another record below it isn’t it? 🤣🤣🤣. Readers Digest used to have round versions of them advertising their exclusive compliation albums.

I don’t think my stylus would hack it and might snap!🤣🤣🤣. I’ve seen the Masterbag version on eBay a few times with the magazine included.

I’ve got a cardboard Foo Fighters flexidisc which was included with Sonic Highways as a separate free item on mail order, which was clearly designed for the modern day players.

I bought the Pig Picture Disc of Muck it Out during the early stages of Covid last year, all I was doing was buying vinyl most of the time while saving up for the turntable I have now.

Ah, I never thought about putting another record underneath! I haven’t got the flexidisc version.

My brother painted the pig with a stereo on the back of an Italian flak jacket that I used to wear in the early 80s. I had round glasses just like Baz and as we were leaving a Farmer’s Boys gig in London with the jacket and glasses on, someone mistook me for Baz!

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Ah, I never thought about putting another record underneath! I haven’t got the flexidisc version.

My brother painted the pig with a stereo on the back of an Italian flak jacket that I used to wear in the early 80s. I had round glasses just like Baz and as we were leaving a Farmer’s Boys gig in London with the jacket and glasses on, someone mistook me for Baz!

🤣🤣🤣, great stuff!🤣🤣🤣. Am guessing that was at the old Hammersmith Palais that gig was?.

There’s still a few things I have missing like the 12” of Muck it Out, In the Country and Phew Wow also on that same format.