Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

yes I know it's set at Christmas but it's a pretty spooky theme. And to reference an earlier thread. That synth sound. 😍

Rediscovered this band lately, recently bought myself a new vinyl player and have been stocking up on said collection, so have been playing their albums on it all night.

Once you've finished raging at the sleaze there is nothing more appropriate than to remind yourself of the simple beauty human beings are capable of achieving. I recommend starting every day with a piece from Bach, and I don't think it gets much better than the Largo from his 5th Piano Concerto in F Minor. For some reason I find this video of the player's hands tracing out simple movements yet producing music of profound beauty absolutely mesmerising.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

Stranglers & Bach eh. Decent mix to start any day.

In a similar vein two interesting pieces...the Labèque Sisters seem prolific (and unusual for two players?). The second piece I would have simply laughed at if I had heard it on the radio 10 years ago - as not my kind of thing . It's a Schubert song. Once heard, it sticks! Most of all I love that it goes from minor key to major and so on for the whole thing. I had to use Google to translate the German. According to R3's Sarah Mohr-Pietsch, this is the best and most emotional version.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

With Deano in the news  all of a sudden (and there is always Nephew Tom)...I give you:

1. Talk Sport    2. Knutsen    3. We look like relegation certs anyway

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 04/11/2021 at 06:37, Herman said:

This popped into my head for some reason.

That’s a song for the car or headphones, particularly the keyboard solo

• Like 1

I don’t really listen to much reggae but I found Handsworth Revolution in a record shop and bought it straight away as I lost the copy I had 

Edited by FenwayFrank

If you can find it because the record company have endeavoured to remove…

Fave Band - Dave Mathews (Band) DMB - Madman’s Eyes

Just Smart Phone footage now 🙁

A breath of fresh air - Led Zep Kashmir and shedloads of other Prog Rock cues

https://americansongwriter.com/dave-matthews-band-debuts-new-song-madmans-eyes-live/

Edited by Foxy2600
Link - don’t think it works

37 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

If you can find it because the record company have endeavoured to remove…

Fave Band - Dave Mathews (Band) DMB - Madman’s Eyes

Just Smart Phone footage now 🙁

A breath of fresh air - Led Zep Kashmir and shedloads of other Prog Rock cues

https://americansongwriter.com/dave-matthews-band-debuts-new-song-madmans-eyes-live/

Remember Led Z 3 and 4 when they were both released (I was on the edge of a small but cool group of knowledgeable music lads at school...enough to tag on and be able to borrow albums when I was 13/14). Loved both of those albums. Steve Hillage, Rundgren, Yamashta, Santana and whole load of stuff that I had never heard of before. Eternally grateful to them.

22 minutes ago, Herman said:

I heard this for the first time on Craig Charles's programme. Raw.👍

I prefer Charles to Shaun Keaveny. Felt the latter played ok stuff but there was too much of him and his attempts at quirky humour. On the whole I prefer DJs just to play stuff. Craig Charles mixes it up a bit too. Likes his 1980s.

Edited by sonyc

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I prefer Charles to Shaun Keaveny. Felt the latter played ok stuff but there was too much of him and his attempts at quirky humour. On the whole I prefer DJs just to play stuff. Craig Charles mixes it up a bit too. Likes his 1980s.

I've warmed to him and starting to listen more. I wasn't particularly a fan of his funk show so didn't give him too much of a chance at first but he is playing some good music of many genres and I've heard a few bits for the first time.

Steve Reich, Music for 18 Musicians. Probably the iconic Minimalist work and a good starting point for anyone who has not ventured into Minimalism before: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Steve Reich, Music for 18 Musicians. Probably the iconic Minimalist work and a good starting point for anyone who has not ventured into Minimalism before: 

Reich and Glass, both now well into their eighties will be famous in decades to come, perhaps their music even being classed Reichian, Glassian (Glassic!?) - such will have been their influence. Like Hockney as an artist now (there are others), they are living legends when it is far more usual that artists have to have died before people gain a perspective and full appreciation on their output. We are lucky really.

It reminds me of the saying that goes something like... "life is beautiful but it's the system that is ugly". Hugo? Whoever it was (will look up), I think they got that about right.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2