Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

I tend to love anything very badly played so the Portsmouth Sinfonia is always high up the playlist. Even though they pretty much stopped playing the year before I was born.

Although this YouTube channel comes up with some absolute gems. This manages the incredible feat of being an improvement on the original whilst only hitting every tenth note, if that.

• Haha 1

On 07/12/2020 at 17:40, TheGunnShow said:

I tend to love anything very badly played so the Portsmouth Sinfonia is always high up the playlist. Even though they pretty much stopped playing the year before I was born.

Although this YouTube channel comes up with some absolute gems. This manages the incredible feat of being an improvement on the original whilst only hitting every tenth note, if that.

Sh*ttyflute! I love Sh*tyyflute! I literally sent this to a friend yesterday:

• Haha 2

Anyway before TGS distracted me, I came on here to post this. The whole album is great but I absolutely love this in particular:

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

On 08/12/2020 at 19:31, FenwayFrank said:

I’m not a U2 fan, but I have always liked this cover, it lets the song work without (for me) Bono’s histrionic delivery:

On 05/12/2020 at 11:31, FenwayFrank said:

I need some suggestions for Christmas songs for my Spotify playlist I’m making for work. I obviously have fairytale of New York, found a couple of good ones by Brian Setzer etc but need a few more. All I Want For Christmas by Maria Carey is not an option thanks 😁

I’m not sure I want to cooperate with anyone who likes Fairytale of New York 😉 (I have a problem with the Pogues and I just don’t get the fuss about Kirsty MacColl either), but this is *the* best Christmas song ever:

It’s such a cool delivery, and captures that semi-comatose, slightly drunk relaxed vibe for me perfectly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Sh*ttyflute! I love Sh*tyyflute! I literally sent this to a friend yesterday:

There's always room for the dear old Portsmouth Sinfonia in such compilations in Now That's What I Call A Funking Earache.

I like to call this one "Elephant Shagging in E-minor".

• Haha 1

Back to something serious though, this song makes me wonder if the singer has been living rent-free in my head for years.

And I was there thinking Tyr was the only music that came from the Faroe Islands.

On 12/12/2020 at 19:40, TheGunnShow said:

Back to something serious though, this song makes me wonder if the singer has been living rent-free in my head for years.

And I was there thinking Tyr was the only music that came from the Faroe Islands.

There is, or at least, has been, a good music festival in the Faroes, "G" festival. I  saw Reykjavíkurdætur there back in 2017

They also like their heavy rock there, I was in Torshavn once and stumbled upon a metal night right outside my hotel....was a great evening 

RIFFTASTIC : A theme for you to play with. With the two riffmaster generals, Young and Iommi, and two upstarts, Moore and Ranaldo.

Probably put them up before but nevermind.

1972. And this Italian wondered what you'd get if you wrote complete gibberish that was basically meant to be what American English sounds to Italian ears. Got a funky backbeat going on it and came up with.... this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Not a bad piece of music. 👍

I particularly like how Richard O'Brien clearly nicked the harmonica sections when serenading Mumsy in the Crystal Maze.

32 minutes ago, Herman said:

"Laying down the foundations for our entire culture and language" hahaha😅

Those Anglo Saxons....

• Haha 1

Less Anglo Saxon. But what about some nice French.

A big favourite of mine. Translation is included helpfully in the comments field.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Not much posted here the last week. Couple of songs that piqued my interest. First for Neil Finn fans (lots of good lockdown videos of him)

And strangely something by Stevie Nicks. A song that's got into my head. Odd lyrics and interesting subject ...aligning with her politics. It gets right into a groove later 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

A little bit of silliness that Danny Baker used to play.

She does have a distinctive voice.....one of those either love/hate. Like Rufus  Wainwright.

Still, I quite like different voices. Better than the kind of universal pseudo American yowl you often get on today's pop offerings feigning emotion (shows age right here).

I like her voice. Yes it's unusual but it worked very well in Mac's work. (That new song is rather good too.) Agree with Rufus. Some songs he works well, some you want him to calm it down a bit.😀

16 hours ago, Herman said:

I like her voice. Yes it's unusual but it worked very well in Mac's work. (That new song is rather good too.) Agree with Rufus. Some songs he works well, some you want him to calm it down a bit.😀

I’ve never really enjoyed Lou Reed or Bob Dylan for the same reasons, I want to like Dylan but struggle with him unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’ve never really enjoyed Lou Reed or Bob Dylan for the same reasons, I want to like Dylan but struggle with him unfortunately.

I've never had a problem with Lou but can understand your point about Bob. Some of his stuff I really like but I know quite a few people that find him grating and his voice got a bit parodic at certain stages of his career.

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

I've never had a problem with Lou but can understand your point about Bob. Some of his stuff I really like but I know quite a few people that find him grating and his voice got a bit parodic at certain stages of his career.

I understand this too.

It's also the same with Leonard Cohen. Great songwriter but you really have to be prepared to immerse yourself and take it on the chin! That said, he wouldn't be Leonard Cohen without that voice (nor Dylan of course).

Any other good artists with very singular voices come to mind? Clifford T Ward? The Bee Gees surely (ha ha ha ha staying alive")

• Like 1