Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Any Laura Nyro fans here? Each November/December I find I look her up to listen to. Couple here.

Two others playing now here too:

• Like 1

A quite amazing Zappa solo a minute after the start (done on the first take I think). A strange mix him playing with Grand Funk Railroad. Such an all American simple song and then this completely different emotional guitar....like two different sensitivities but extraordinary.

More Seventies bonanza.

A very 'sweet' guitar solo in this...

Edited by sonyc

One of my favourite Zep songs and that Zappa track is cracking.👍

Two newish US rock bands. Both put out critically acclaimed albums and then moved back into the shadows.

• Like 1

Like those Herman. The WoD vocalist sounds a lot like Kurt Vile, and the song too. Feels too like it has the vibe for travelling (whilst staring out of the car window across those plains!).

Edited by sonyc

15 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Tony Friel was in The Passage. Now where have I heard of him from 🤔

😀

I knew the band was formed by **** Witts but didn’t know anyone else from it, and certainly didn’t know that one of them was a founder member of The Fall. He’s from Birkenhead so I might bump into him one day if he still lives around here.

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The letter of the evening is

X

Link any song starting with the letter X, that has never been No. 1 in the UK 😉

Up for the challenge (with link to the Brexit thread?)

45 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I knew the band was formed by **** Witts but didn’t know anyone else from it, and certainly didn’t know that one of them was a founder member of The Fall. He’s from Birkenhead so I might bump into him one day if he still lives around here.

Might as well have one from The Fall, even if it isn't exactly anywhere near their best

36 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Close!  😉

Not if you speak the title haha....ok then this prog theme!

• Like 1

XTC! I love the Non Such album. Virtually anything on it. That Wave possibly one of the great songs written, so unusual. And My Bird Performs makes me feel happy.

But two others here (but could be the whole album!). Wrapped in Grey so beautiful.

Simply stunning songwriting.

Thanks for reminding me HIWEM.

• Like 2

Probably posted this last time I was drunk. No apology. Everyone should hear it at least once a week. Plus they've gone downhill since Joey left 

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 20/11/2020 at 17:51, Mr Angry said:

John Peel favourite.

Anyone else have Pillows and Prayers, the Cherry Red compilation promo album? (This was on it). I must have played it to death.

Edited by Nuff Said

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Anyone else have Pillows and Prayers, the Cherry Red compilation promo album? (This was on it). I must have played it to death.

I listened to this a lot as a sensitive 17 year old in a long overcoat:

• Like 1

On 18/11/2020 at 19:02, sonyc said:

Any Laura Nyro fans here? Each November/December I find I look her up to listen to. Couple here.

Two others playing now here too:

As a devotee of Blood Sweat and Tears, managed to see them in 76, I couldn't help but be impressed with her songwriting.

6 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I listened to this a lot as a sensitive 17 year old in a long overcoat:

I have this album as an LP. It's decent. Also have a much more recent CD of his - "Kendra" which is also interesting (bought for me).

Oh...and I used to have an Austrian army great coat when I was 18 that I wished I still had. No northern snow or wind could get to you wearing it plus you felt quite mysterious  in it (so my 18 year old felt!).

• Like 1

I had my grandfathers Reefer jacked handed down to me that was made at the start of the 20th century. It must have whiffed a bit to other people but to me it was priceless. It had years of oil, tar and fish scales covering it and was impervious to anything. It finally gave up the ghost in the 60s after it snagged on a treenail and was unreapairable.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Were they regulars on the Val Doonican show ?

I think it was probably the original Kings Singers. This bunch look a bit too young. And I doubt the originals would have heard of Imogen Heap let alone sung one of her songs.

• Like 1