Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

21 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Stoke City away. Put it on in pub near the ground and  the screamed blue murder. I told them Mrs KG danced to it on our wedding night. I was dressed like Eno come to think of it.

Early RM are a joy to behold Kg. Something a bit unpredictable about them. Later massive success came at the price of MOR boring listening for me, even if I could appreciate they could still write 'tunes'.

Beautiful version for Armistice Day

And on the subject of remembering,  here is Viola Smith, one of the first female drummers, who recently died aged 107:

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

That is a great version of the Last Post. Thanks.👍

Here is something appropriate and rather lovely too.

• Like 1

This is a live version from the Liar/Flower album "Geiger Counter", realeased earlier this year. The couple (only 1 of them on this track) also record as Ruby Throat 

This lovely lady is called KatieJane Garside. She was in Daisy Chainsaw and Queenadreena 

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man

Queenadreena - Fúck Me Doll

Inspired, if that's the right word, by the murder in 1996 of the American child  beauty queen JonBenét Ramsey 

Take my doll put on her pretty clothes
Now don't you soil her dress
Now brush her hair, paint her lips like a rose
Now cover up your mess
Strip baby strip
Cause your daddy is watching
Strip baby strip
Jean Bennet
Strip baby strip
So your mother knows nothing
Strip baby strip on the nail
Someone said the doctor is my friend
The bruising is his cause
My soul to save
A smoking gun in bed
Behind closing doors
Strip baby strip
For the soul of your brother
Strip baby strip
For his wife
Strip baby strip
Cause you know she's not willing
Strip baby strip
On the knife
I lost my doll I put on my pretty clothes
No, I won't soil my dress
I brush my hair, paint my lips like a rose
I cover up my mess
Strip baby strip
For the soul of you mother
Strip baby strip
For her life
Strip baby strip
Cause you know you're worth nothing
Strip baby strip
On the knife

😔
Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
Spelling error in the copy of the lyrics
  • Like 1

Interesting selection there HIWEM. Some powerful political stories in those. 

Edit: just re-watching that 1930s Frances Carroll clip and then the above made me smile. Somehow, the drumming though in that version had a bit of spirit about it though.

Used to love the Word...with Puckrick (spelling?) and Christian you never knew what might happen next, which just gave the show such an edge. Not sure they knew either. It was a cut about The Tube if folk might recall that from C4's earlier days.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Interesting selection there HIWEM. Some powerful political stories in those. 

Edit: just re-watching that 1930s Frances Carroll clip and then the above made me smile. Somehow, the drumming though in that version had a bit of spirit about it though.

Used to love the Word...with Puckrick (spelling?) and Christian you never knew what might happen next, which just gave the show such an edge. Not sure they knew either. It was a cut about The Tube if folk might recall that from C4's earlier days.

- folk

+ groovy fùckers

😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I saw Warpaint at Iceland Airwaves a few years ago. I had gone primarily to see Reykjavíkurdætur, but Warpaint were a pleasant surprise as I had never heard of them before 

Yeah I came across them not so long ago and liked the way they simply started in a kind of organic way ....like from nothing really. Somehow it shows in the songs because they don't feel so 'scripted'. Copied a bit of blurb here and their way of writing.

• This is a single from The Fool, the full-length debut by Los Angeles-based female quartet Warpaint. The song originally began life as a cover of Nirvana's "Polly," but mutated into their own song with the only similarity being that the words "hurt yourself" appear in both tunes.

Bassist Jenny Lee Lindberg told BBC 6music: "[Guitarist] Theresa [Wayman] and I were just working and I had a bassline. She just started singing the lyrics to 'Polly' over that song. But instead of making that a cover - even though it sounded really cool - we said: 'Well, write your own words to the song.'"

She continued: "There's definitely an homage to ['Polly'] in the chorus, the first line - [but] you listen to the songs back-to-back they sound nothing alike. Yeah, it is a bit of an homage to Kurt [Cobain] and Nirvana."
  • Vocalist Emily Kokal told Mojo magazine about the band's song writing process: "We write from beginning to end, in a linear fashion. We don't say, OK, here's a verse, here's a chorus, another verse. We usually start jamming on an idea, then it feels like it's time to change, so we'll write the next part, and then the third part might be completely different, and the fourth. We might never repeat any of them again, but it feels like it's a natural progression from beginning to end
  • Like 1

While there is a little bit of a love in for Warpaint, I nearly put this one up but chose the other. I've played this often - again and again. I love the bass playing I have to admit. 

• Like 1

I listened to the first New Model Army album, Vengeance, last night-it was on Tim Burgess’s Twitter party. I hadn’t listened to it for over 30 years-I was surprised that I remembered so many of the songs. The first time I saw them live I was amazed at Stuart Morrow’s bass playing-I’d never seen anyone playing a fretless bass, and he was certainly the best.

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

I listened to the first New Model Army album, Vengeance, last night-it was on Tim Burgess’s Twitter party. I hadn’t listened to it for over 30 years-I was surprised that I remembered so many of the songs. The first time I saw them live I was amazed at Stuart Morrow’s bass playing-I’d never seen anyone playing a fretless bass, and he was certainly the best.

Good call!!. I have the album too.

My mate used to help at studios and I have (somewhere an amazing acoustic version of Vengeance on video tape dedicated to the capture of Klaus Barbie....where Justin spits out the lyrics with such venom). I met the drummer a couple of times (sadly he died young). In those days Bradford was such a great place for up and coming bands. They still keep going.

Also I have a video of Bittersweet taken by an amateur film bloke just as they recorded it. It's my favourite of all their songs and probably in my top 100 (not that I have one). Must try and get it digitalised.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

I saw New Model Army twice 

First time was Brockwell Park, Brixton, at a "Save the GLC" gig. The Fall were on the bill, which was the reason for my attendance 

Second time was The UEA, it was the first time I encountered fans who were following an entire tour. I remember speaking to a guy from  Bradford who was looking for directions to  Ipswich, presumably for the next night's gig 

Just been having a look at some reggae...

This was released in 1963 under the name of Kentrick Patrick (better known by his stage name Lord Creator), on Island records. This is where you can see that calypso had an influence on early ska and reggae..

You might have heard The Dualers singing this

John Watts...always a 'go to' musician for some political songs and just the one selection tonight:

14 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I saw New Model Army twice 

First time was Brockwell Park, Brixton, at a "Save the GLC" gig. The Fall were on the bill, which was the reason for my attendance 

Second time was The UEA, it was the first time I encountered fans who were following an entire tour. I remember speaking to a guy from  Bradford who was looking for directions to  Ipswich, presumably for the next night's gig 

I’m pretty sure I went to the GLC gig as I remember NMA, Spear of Destiny and The Damned but I don’t remember The Fall playing! Just been reading a review, apparently the crowd didn’t take kindly to Mark E.

Discovered this composer this morning (from R3) and the day is happy🙂 ...never heard of him before but now on my list. Feature here then a brief piece below.

This last piece is from 1957.

18 hours ago, sonyc said:

Good call!!. I have the album too.

My mate used to help at studios and I have (somewhere an amazing acoustic version of Vengeance on video tape dedicated to the capture of Klaus Barbie....where Justin spits out the lyrics with such venom). I met the drummer a couple of times (sadly he died young). In those days Bradford was such a great place for up and coming bands. They still keep going.

Also I have a video of Bittersweet taken by an amateur film bloke just as they recorded it. It's my favourite of all their songs and probably in my top 100 (not that I have one). Must try and get it digitalised.

Sounds like you have 2 great items there!

I couldn’t think of any other bands from Bradford so I Googled it-didn’t realise The Cult were from there, always thought they were from Leeds 😳

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

Sounds like you have 2 great items there!

I couldn’t think of any other bands from Bradford so I Googled it-didn’t realise The Cult were from there, always thought they were from Leeds 😳

Yes that's right. Called Southern Death Cult then. I have an old cassette and a video somewhere. Fatman and Moya favourites.

Weird but exciting times in the immediate post punk era. Smokie were probably the best known Bradford band before! ....and Kiki Dee😐.  Not exactly a music city I guess. Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool far better starred.

Edit.Susan Fassbender one other just remembered.

27 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes that's right. Called Southern Death Cult then. I have an old cassette and a video somewhere. Fatman and Moya favourites.

Weird but exciting times in the immediate post punk era. Smokie were probably the best known Bradford band before! ....and Kiki Dee😐.  Not exactly a music city I guess. Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool far better starred.

Edit.Susan Fassbender one other just remembered.

I thought my gatefold sleeve copy of Fatman was worth a bit until I checked quite recently ☹️

Iggy Pop has played Parquet Courts a few times on 6 Music, I like what I've heard.

His show is well worth a listen, I don't think I've ever heard a wider spectrum of music in one show,  plus he obviously loves what he plays. He will occasionally join in or whoop along with stuff, which might normally be irritating but works just because he so obviously is enjoying the music.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Iggy Pop has played Parquet Courts a few times on 6 Music, I like what I've heard.

His show is well worth a listen, I don't think I've ever heard a wider spectrum of music in one show,  plus he obviously loves what he plays. He will occasionally join in or whoop along with stuff, which might normally be irritating but works just because he so obviously is enjoying the music.

They're one of those bands that can be a bit meh and you will find yourself skipping the odd song on an album but when they're good, they're very good imo.

I've only listened to Iggy once and I like what I heard and I really should stick him on Sounds and listen to him at work. The main lineup on 6 is a bit boring at the moment.