Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Heard today that Ian Hunter is 80. Anyway, MTH were part of my youth... Couple here. Pure theatre.

• Like 2

Heard this on Desert Island Discs this morning. Rather peaceful with a recognisable beginning part.

• Like 1

Hippy youth memories here.

And love this piece (just discovered)...

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Timeless classic. 

One of my favourites from my younger days. Quite a few covers have been done over the years but The M&Ps did it best.

On 14/08/2020 at 19:32, Herman said:

Heard this on Desert Island Discs this morning. Rather peaceful with a recognisable beginning part.

That's a nice mellow sound.

Interesting, thanks. A completely new name and artist to me. The second one I enjoyed. The first one will take a few listens but sounds like something I can get into.

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

Interesting, thanks. A completely new name and artist to me. The second one I enjoyed. The first one will take a few listens but sounds like something I can get into.

A group of progressive school mates (used to call them The Freakies because although a small grouping they had their finger on the pulse of music......hope some might not be on this board but doubt somehow football is their thing!) and they introduced me to Yamashta (c.1973/5?) and recently I looked him up. 

His output is very varied indeed (he is a drummer).

The inspiration was VJ day really. There is an interesting track called Hiroshima.

• Like 1

Not one for listening to on the couch with a favourite drink but I put this on and climbed on the Turbo Trainer and it inspired me to challenge Bernal for a place on the Ineos Grenadiers. Better than any drug for getting the legs moving.

On 06/08/2020 at 10:07, First Wazzock said:

So just out of curiosity who really grinds your gears? 

The Eagles, bland American MOR

For anyone who likes stuff with a funky feel and wants to feel a little bit like a hipster, I highly recommend this guy's YouTube channel. I have discovered loads of stuff through it: https://m.youtube.com/user/magrosi65

One example, this 20 minute epic:

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The pub I'm in has got karaoke 

Some girl is doing a passable version of  Wuthering heights

🙂

That is one song that isn't easy! As in not being straightforward.

18 minutes ago, sonyc said:

That is one song that isn't easy! As in not being straightforward.

She was first up 

She apologised at the start  and again at end

God knows why, she did a pretty good job, and was better than everyone else who has followed 

This may not be a funky choice of song to share but I was listening to the interview today on R6 with First Aid Kit and one of their favourite songs was by The Carpenters ("We've Only Just Begun").

But here is my choice. It's perhaps unsettling with great lyrics and harmonies. Has a bit of Erik Satie about it too. Always surprised it rarely seems to be played.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

On 21/08/2020 at 21:55, Nuff Said said:

Mellow.

Two jazz giants

The Duke got his pick of people to work with.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sonyc said:

This may not be a funky choice of song to share but I was listening to the interview today on R6 with First Aid Kit and one of their favourite songs was by The Carpenters ("We've Only Just Begun").

But here is my choice. It's perhaps unsettling with great lyrics and harmonies. Has a bit of Erik Satie about it too. Always surprised it rarely seems to be played.

It only dawned on me a couple of years ago quite how good some of the Carpenters’ stuff is. But then I guess with Karen Carpenter’s voice they had a head start. Some of their songs are so bleak they make The Smiths look like Black Lace.

Equally some of their output is syrupy sh*te, but you can’t win them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1