Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

14 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

And Oasis, if I wanted a Beatles tribute act I can find better ones in most towns in the UK

Agree with this, I quite like a bit of Dexys though 😁

6 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

So just out of curiosity who really grinds your gears?

Adele, and anyone else that has been to “ become a pop star “ school

anything and everyone involved in the X factor 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Adele, and anyone else that has been to “ become a pop star “ school

anything and everyone involved in the X factor 

I have to confess that X Factor and The Voice were for a long time a guilty pleasure of mine. The auditions where someone utterly unremarkable would walk on stage and then let rip with an amazing voice got me every time. After a while I stopped watching after the audition stage though and eventually the pretend drama and "heartwarming" backstories made the whole thing unwatchable.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Went to see him at Leeds Varieties maybe 10 years ago. Expected to see some long haired hep cat (it was my wife that liked his 'year of the cat' album and the reason we went) and when he came on, there was a man who looked a bit like my dad in a pair of work trousers and smart M & S mid-blue cotton shirt. All very odd but pleasant enough as a set. A quiet introverted type and no doubt the Leeds gig alone will have paid for his yearly Spanish villa bills. We could just about imagine him in the taxi to his hotel  after "that's bleddy Leeds done for the next 5 years".

As to stuff I dislike I would have thought say opera, something like Carmen. Once had to see the film (was with a new girlfriend at the time and it was like the longest 3 hours of my life).

André Rieu on Sky Arts makes me cringe too ....all that Strauss stuff and folk being mawkish in the audience dancing about in their Sunday best...for f*** sake. I've watched it once but in a mixed state of open-mouthed curiosity, irony and contempt.

My dad loves Rieu and will watch repeat after repeat ad nauseum. I've watched a few,and while entertaining to start with, you soon realise it is basically the same show over and over. And I hate the Radetzky March with a passion now too.😩😀

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

André Rieu on Sky Arts makes me cringe too ....all that Strauss stuff and folk being mawkish in the audience dancing about in their Sunday best...for f*** sake.

Yeah, him too 😁

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Dexy's f'ing Midnight Runners. That faux soul and Kevin Rowlands' wailing voice, Iike he's in pain, has literally made me walk out of parties.

And Oasis, if I wanted a Beatles tribute act I can find better ones in most towns in the UK.

I'd better stop now, I can be quite intolerant of other people's tastes some times...

[I've just realised this is showing as Frank's question for some reason, sorry FW]

I would be happy to go along with these two. Oasis thought they were the bees' knees didn't they and our Kevin still thinks he's an interesting artist.

I might add Midge Ure for thinking he was something for a while but I've forgiven him. Then, I used to like Gilbert O'Sullivan until I watched a TV feature programme about his life. And it turned out he was an ungrateful and entitled kno*. Alone again naturally? Yes Gilbert, I think you are. Though some of your music is ok.

I recall Paddy McAloon once saying in interview that he never wanted to know anything about his favourite artists, nor what they looked like. He just wanted to enjoy their music...and I understand that completely.

Edited by sonyc

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Dexy's f'ing Midnight Runners. That faux soul and Kevin Rowlands' wailing voice, Iike he's in pain, has literally made me walk out of parties.

And Oasis, if I wanted a Beatles tribute act I can find better ones in most towns in the UK.

I'd better stop now, I can be quite intolerant of other people's tastes some times...

[I've just realised this is showing as Frank's question for some reason, sorry FW]

The first Dexys album, Searching For The Young Soul Rebels is fantastic... In my top ten of all time...

9 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

Music, like virtually everything in life is subjective.

So just out of curiosity who really grinds your gears? 

Who would you draw the curtains on if they were playing in your front garden?

I quite like Al Stewart - although I get he is a bit Marmite - I once loaned one of his albums to a mate who returned it the next day saying he played the first track and that was enough!!!

Yeah I love Al Stewart, I've been to see him play live about 10 times - last year he toured the UK with a support band which was awesome, until then I'd just heard him play basically acoustic sets.  But a total marmite artist like you say.  Someone singing songs about World War 2 or Amy Johnson or Lord Grenfell is always going to be a bit of a niche interest !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’m not clear if that’s an endorsement or an example of someone you can’t stand MY?

I did buy an album by Robert Wyatt years ago and struggled to see what the fuss was about. Shipbuilding is a great song though.

This has been trending on Twitter (teenagers listening to rock and pop songs for the first time). Gave me a laugh.

20 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m not clear if that’s an endorsement or an example of someone you can’t stand MY?

I did buy an album by Robert Wyatt years ago and struggled to see what the fuss was about. Shipbuilding is a great song though.

Great song I’d say. 

• Like 1

On 07/08/2020 at 19:39, Midlands Yellow said:

Must be played loud. 

Are we still on the grid my gears thing?

I just dont get them. .I've tried numerous times but I just see nothing. Morrisey just comes across as a complete fool. Also the libertines and(probably mainly) Pete Doherty. I sounds like they made it up on the spot.

Perhaps worst of all is ABBA. They just make me so angry. I don't know what it is. I just have to turn then off if they come on the radio or walk out of the room if they're playing. The one thing I do admire about them is their ability to make cheerful sounding songs out of bad subjects. That could be just SOS tho as most of it I just cover my ears!

Honourable mention to coldplay. The band with the most bored sounding singer in the world. They had such promise early on. Shiver is my favourite still. But they seem to have got blander the more popular they've got.

Rant over. I apologise in advance for next week when I'm off work so drunken rants are likely to be way worse!!

In the meantime. Enjoy this classic from a underappreciated band (in my opinion)

• Like 1

I went to a Teenage Fanclub gig but I was only there to see Frank Black as their warm up, so I didn't pay them much attention. Shame really, as the more I hear of them over the years the more I like them.

8 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I just dont get them. .I've tried numerous times but I just see nothing. Morrisey just comes across as a complete fool. Also the libertines and(probably mainly) Pete Doherty. I sounds like they made it up on the spot.

Perhaps worst of all is ABBA. They just make me so angry. I don't know what it is. I just have to turn then off if they come on the radio or walk out of the room if they're playing. The one thing I do admire about them is their ability to make cheerful sounding songs out of bad subjects. That could be just SOS tho as most of it I just cover my ears!

OMG!

1. I used to * adore * The Smiths. I think it’s partly a timing/historical thing, they fitted, or influenced, a big part of the musical trends at the time, and wistful songs of romantic, misunderstood outsiders are always going to appeal to a subset of young people. For me, it was always the first couple of albums though. How can this not make you swoon a little bit inside?

Morissey is a class A kn0b now though.

2. And I bow to no-one in my love for ABBA. I carried the torch since I queued up outside Colchester ABC to see ABBA: The Movie. True adult pop.

I *LOATHE* Mamma Mia with a passion though, that whole hen night, karaoke-style yell your way through the song thing destroys what makes them great.

This is a stone-cold, heart-turning classic, in my top ten  singles.

P.S. The Libertines? Absolutely. WTF is that all about? Amateur night at a back-street scout hut.

Edited by Nuff Said

I'm with you on the early Smiths. They started to become a bit mainstream with The Queen is Dead, albeit some strong songs. Meat is Murder my favourite album and Headmasters Ritual my favourite track (probably) - for the sarcasm. No wonder poet Simon Armitage waxed so lyrical about the lyric of This Charming Man too.

I've grown more respectful of Abba as I've got older ...they made songs sound so simple, so universal, but a look at their chords and progressions and there's some serious musicianship.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Honourable mention to coldplay. The band with the most bored sounding singer in the world. They had such promise early on. Shiver is my favourite still. But they seem to have got blander the more popular they've got.

Rant over. I apologise in advance for next week when I'm off work so drunken rants are likely to be way worse!!

In the meantime. Enjoy this classic from a underappreciated band (in my opinion)

How long were the Smiths together? What a fantastic band and legacy.

“Also the libertines and(probably mainly) Pete Doherty. I sounds like they made it up on the spot.

Perhaps worst of all is ABBA. They just make me so angry. I don't know what it is. I just have to turn then off if they come on the radio or walk out of the room if they're playing.l

Hallelujah! I thought it was just me 😁

I can understand why some aren’t keen on the Smiths but these two songs make for me a pretty much perfect single. They released a lot of great singles but personally  I never got to grips with the albums 

• Like 1

Two favourites from Meat is Murder.

I was a big fan of Marr's guitar style.