Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Dark Side of the Moon is one of my comparison albums because I know it so well. When I finally replaced the speakers that my two year old daughter poked her fingers into the tweeters of twenty years ago, one of the first things I did was to play my vinyl copy, then my CD, then Spotify high resolution to see if it actually was possible to tell the difference, or was I just fooling myself. Luckily I could (as I’ve said, vinyl was spoilt by the surface noise as I’ve owned this copy for nearly forty years! God, now I feel old).

Haven’t played my vinyl for years, could cope with the revolving click click click of a scratch, but when it was so deep it caused the needle( stylus) to jump then that was the end for me. Even tried putting plasticine on the arm to weigh it down so it would plough  through the jumpy bits😀 Never worked of course 😂

• Like 1

If anyone no longer wants their vinyl then I’d be interested in taking it off you, depending on what it is obviously 

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

If anyone no longer wants their vinyl then I’d be interested in taking it off you, depending on what it is obviously 

How about the Best of Cream jumping all the way through Sunshine of your Love😀

16 minutes ago, Van wink said:

How about the Best of Cream jumping all the way through Sunshine of your Love😀

Is that the one with the veg on the front or a picture of the band ? What sort of condition is it in ?

10 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Is that the one with the veg on the front or a picture of the band ? What sort of condition is it in ?

The veg, but it’s worn out, was played one hell of a lot in my formative years, and badly scratched I think. Loved that album though.

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

The veg, but it’s worn out, was played one hell of a lot in my formative years, and badly scratched I think. Loved that album though.

I think I’ll pass then, thanks for the offer though 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Dark Side of the Moon is one of my comparison albums because I know it so well. When I finally replaced the speakers that my two year old daughter poked her fingers into the tweeters of twenty years ago, one of the first things I did was to play my vinyl copy, then my CD, then Spotify high resolution to see if it actually was possible to tell the difference, or was I just fooling myself. Luckily I could (as I’ve said, vinyl was spoilt by the surface noise as I’ve owned this copy for nearly forty years! God, now I feel old).

You were lucky. My cleaning lady has a habit of accidentally switching  the turntable on and then dropping the needle on to the rotating rubberised surface for several hours, until I notice, at which point I think of firing my cleaning lady, until I chicken out...

10 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I have a few that are sitting around getting in the way. A lot 80s metal but some good, honest rock like Led Zeppelin, ACDC etc. If you are interested I'll write up a list of what I have. 

9 hours ago, Herman said:

I have a few that are sitting around getting in the way. A lot 80s metal but some good, honest rock like Led Zeppelin, ACDC etc. If you are interested I'll write up a list of what I have. 

That would be good thanks, I’m not really into metal but the classic rock definitely 

Ok. Give us a few days. I'll check to see what is still in good nick and let you know.

• Like 1

Any Furs fans around?

Couple of songs off their new album (first in 29 years!). Butler now 64 years old.

• Like 2

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 19:55, Nuff Said said:

No one told you when to run - you missed the starting gun....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

No one told you when to run - you missed the starting gun....

What? What gun?

Oh...

• Haha 1

On 02/08/2020 at 20:09, FenwayFrank said:

Got a nice acetate you could have for 10K

Laura Marling latest, Fontaines DC and the new Pyschedelic Furs. All great new albums...

Older stuff... Joy Division Closer (40th anniversary), old new wave Members, Au Pairs, Magazine etc

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

Great great song...

51 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Laura Marling latest, Fontaines DC and the new Pyschedelic Furs. All great new albums...

Older stuff... Joy Division Closer (40th anniversary), old new wave Members, Au Pairs, Magazine etc

I remember "Shot by both sides" ....a strange band really Magazine. Going to have to look them up now (post Champs final 😆)

Edited by sonyc

On 03/08/2020 at 21:59, sonyc said:

Any Furs fans around?

Couple of songs off their new album (first in 29 years!). Butler now 64 years old.

Amongst all the heritage acts can't understand why they arn't more popular. Will go to Cambridge next year to see them, last time out saw them at the Waterfront where they did the singles in chronological order.......not sure that worked really. Although India as an encore did

11 hours ago, BigFish said:

Amongst all the heritage acts can't understand why they arn't more popular.

Agree they seem less popular, yet the music press are often interested. I would have expected Bowie fans to like them for example. Yet Butler's voice may be the factor dividing opinion. Like Rufus Wainwright to give just one example, you like or really dislike the singing voice.

Have seen them twice, once as Midnight to Midnight was launched and it was a fantastic night.  The other time, Butler didn't even seem to be bothered (Book of Days era) and even just stopped the band playing halfway through the set telling the audience "this is f***ing sh*t". My son saw them in Leeds two years ago and they played stuff from across all their albums. India and Heaven were the highlights apparently.

I was astonished reading he is now 64 but then your mind plays tricks and somehow fixes things to a period of time. Then you remember your own age! I still recall where I was, who I was with etc etc listening to Sister Europe, Alice's House, Dumb Waiters. And so on.

The new album has 4 or 5 strong songs. Not a bad feat. Only one really harks back to the sound and style of the past. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

Agree they seem less popular, yet the music press are often interested. I would have expected Bowie fans to like them for example. Yet Butler's voice may be the factor dividing opinion. Like Rufus Wainwright to give just one example, you like or really dislike the singing voice.

Have seen them twice, once as Midnight to Midnight was launched and it was a fantastic night.  The other time, Butler didn't even seem to be bothered (Book of Days era) and even just stopped the band playing halfway through the set telling the audience "this is f***ing sh*t". My son saw them in Leeds two years ago and they played stuff from across all their albums. India and Heaven were the highlights apparently.

I was astonished reading he is now 64 but then your mind plays tricks and somehow fixes things to a period of time. Then you remember your own age! I still recall where I was, who I was with etc etc listening to Sister Europe, Alice's House, Dumb Waiters. And so on.

The new album has 4 or 5 strong songs. Not a bad feat. Only one really harks back to the sound and style of the past. 

Was in New York last year drinking in a lot of dime bars and the Furs were played everywhere... met Butler.. he is huge! Definite "presence"

• Like 1

Music, like virtually everything in life is subjective.

So just out of curiosity who really grinds your gears? 

Who would you draw the curtains on if they were playing in your front garden?

I quite like Al Stewart - although I get he is a bit Marmite - I once loaned one of his albums to a mate who returned it the next day saying he played the first track and that was enough!!!

14 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Jagged Little Pill ranks alongside Dido and David Gray for one off play forever albums.

And the lady is back

Not a massive fan of Ms Morissette I have to admit, but I love this cover, it’s a bit of an earworm once heard: 

(You might want to avoid KG. I do have a soft spot for White Ladder though).

Edited by Nuff Said

4 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

In the Army Now by Status Quo, just terrible 

Any novelty song

Many years ago got free tickets to see Quo at Alnwick, and a photographers pass, courtesy of the promoter!

Nice to get your own unique set of pictures!!

IMG_1545.JPG

Edited by First Wazzock

54 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Dexy's f'ing Midnight Runners. That faux soul and Kevin Rowlands' wailing voice, Iike he's in pain, has literally made me walk out of parties.

And Oasis, if I wanted a Beatles tribute act I can find better ones in most towns in the UK.

I'd better stop now, I can be quite intolerant of other people's tastes some times...

[I've just realised this is showing as Frank's question for some reason, sorry FW]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

Music, like virtually everything in life is subjective.

Who would you draw the curtains on if they were playing in your front garden?

I quite like Al Stewart - although I get he is a bit Marmite - I once loaned one of his albums to a mate who returned it the next day saying he played the first track and that was enough!!!

Went to see him at Leeds Varieties maybe 10 years ago. Expected to see some long haired hep cat (it was my wife that liked his 'year of the cat' album and the reason we went) and when he came on, there was a man who looked a bit like my dad in a pair of work trousers and smart M & S mid-blue cotton shirt. All very odd but pleasant enough as a set. A quiet introverted type and no doubt the Leeds gig alone will have paid for his yearly Spanish villa bills. We could just about imagine him in the taxi to his hotel  after "that's bleddy Leeds done for the next 5 years".

As to stuff I dislike I would have thought say opera, something like Carmen. Once had to see the film (was with a new girlfriend at the time and it was like the longest 3 hours of my life).

André Rieu on Sky Arts makes me cringe too ....all that Strauss stuff and folk being mawkish in the audience dancing about in their Sunday best...for f*** sake. I've watched it once but in a mixed state of open-mouthed curiosity, irony and contempt.

• Haha 1