Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

On 10/07/2020 at 23:16, kick it off said:

Any Stone Roses fans in here should check out the new DMAs album. some of the tracks are a bit experimental but there is a huge Stone Roses type sound running through the entire thing (They cite SR as one of their major musical influences so not completely unexpected).

My personal faves are 'Silver', 'Criminals', 'Never before', and the title track 'The Glow'..... Never before could easily be passed off as a Stone Roses song.

Never heard of the DMA’s, really liked that 👍

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Never heard of the DMA’s, really liked that 👍

Check out their album "Hills End" - Freely available on youtube - It's a belter.

• Like 1

Jarvis Cocker has gone a bit Nick Cave. It's interesting although will take a few listens. 

On 09/07/2020 at 16:18, FenwayFrank said:

Anyone got any music memorabilia? I’ve got a copy of Modern Nature by the Charlatans signed by all the band members and a tour poster of St Paul and the Broken Bones also signed. Got both up on the wall in my music room 😁

D586FB31-1A35-4120-9782-87D436E20630.jpeg.399b09ec411ea7ef3bbbaf2647d6d599.jpeg

A0EB4414-6670-4672-A4CE-7AF9D2155529.jpeg

Edited by Mr Angry
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Did a five year old sign that ? 😁😉

No, that’s his usual signature-or it was in the 80s. The gig was December 83-he signed it a year later at a Higsons gig at the Lyceum.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Who supported The Smiths? 

Felt and the Red Guitars-I don’t remember if we saw Felt-I think we were still in the pub-but I’m pretty sure we saw the Red Guitars.

• Like 1

Felt did ok for themselves. Decent cultish following if I remember them right. Red Guitars?? I'll have to youtube.😀

18 hours ago, Herman said:

Felt did ok for themselves. Decent cultish following if I remember them right. Red Guitars?? I'll have to youtube.😀

Yeah, Felt singles have become quite collectable-even some of their well known singles are worth £40+. The Red Guitars’ most well-known song is Good Technology:

Edited by Mr Angry
  • Like 1

As ever, best listened to through headphones (like the last track posted where the drums are too jarring without but mix in with).

This song is traced back to Norfolk in 1514! 

#timstwitterlisteningparty, 10 pm tonight. Soul Mining by The The 👍👍👍

My mum loved Uncertain Smile and I was amazed as she was in her 50s. Now I’m older than she was at the time-and I still love it ❤️

Edited by Mr Angry

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

#timstwitterlisteningparty, 10 pm tonight. Soul Mining by The The 👍👍👍

My mum loved Uncertain Smile and I was amazed as she was in her 50s. Now I’m older than she was at the time-and I still love it ❤️

Cheers for this Mr A.

Recall it was (I think) the first time I had heard drum machines used but I may be wrong (passage of time and all that). Uncertain Smile endures ....somehow hypnotic.

11 hours ago, sonyc said:

Cheers for this Mr A.

Recall it was (I think) the first time I had heard drum machines used but I may be wrong (passage of time and all that). Uncertain Smile endures ....somehow hypnotic.

I’m not sure if drum machines were used-the drummer on the record was Zeke Manyika, who was also drumming with Orange Juice at the time. Matt Johnson commented on Zeke’s drumming a few times last night and the comments suggested that it was human skill rather than computers 🥁🥁🥁

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I’m not sure if drum machines were used-the drummer on the record was Zeke Manyika, who was also drumming with Orange Juice at the time. Matt Johnson commented on Zeke’s drumming a few times last night and the comments suggested that it was human skill rather than computers 🥁🥁🥁

Wow, well that's amazing. Talk about metronomic then. Quite a skill to create that kind of feel.

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Wow, well that's amazing. Talk about metronomic then. Quite a skill to create that kind of feel.

Yeah, and totally different to his work with Orange Juice.

Here are a couple of comments from Matt-aggressive is about right!

238CB7DA-B01C-4469-8DB8-72B8FB69E773.png

CEE62F4F-3E14-4E66-AD23-034315CAE107.png

Good selection.👍 I don't know why but I was expecting the Blunstone one to be poppy.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Good selection.👍 I don't know why but I was expecting the Blunstone one to be poppy.

It's a right weird one.

I almost chose Misty Roses as an alternative.

The Blunstone one is the sort of thing I would listen to after my third glass of red and after lighting an incense stick 😁

• Haha 2

It's the laid back orchestration that makes it special and yes, feet up with a nice red wine would be the perfect accompaniment.

Cheers for that KG. Tame Impala's newer stuff is getting a bit too mainstream and bland but that really kicks off. Great stuff.👍

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

Cheers for that KG. Tame Impala's newer stuff is getting a bit too mainstream and bland but that really kicks off. Great stuff.👍

I listened to the newest album because one of my students is a huge fan and recommended.

I hated it.

It's just elevator music.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Herman said:

I couldn't believe how they had changed. Thing is Parker only uses them as a live band and is more of a studio writer.

I think people are a bit weary of studio music and want it raw.