Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

People have mentioned Jimmy S and here is an incredible retake 30 plus years later. He hasn't lost his voice for sure

• Like 1

Thank goodness there were bands still using the saxophone in the late 70's. Roger Hodgson one of the nicest men in the music business

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 16:50, PurpleCanary said:

He was brilliant. Did the score for Walkabout and Out of Africa, and many others. There was also Ennio Morricone, who did the spaghetti westerns, but also a wonderful score for Once Upon a Time in America - a very long and very violent gangster film, which had a disconcertingly evocative theme tune:

RIP.

• Like 1

Aye just seen that. Some fantastic music left as his legacy.

RIP Ennio.

Needed a little positivity and an uplift...music gives that. A small selection...

And breathe...

123!

Hints of tubular bells I reckon

What a bummer. First time in a record shop for months and I have a complete mind blank. 

2 hours ago, Herman said:

What a bummer. First time in a record shop for months and I have a complete mind blank. 

If you still cant decide what to buy I'd like some Gary Clark Jr and the wu tang clan back catalogue 😉 thanks! 

😀

I was trying to trawl back through this thread for ideas but the internet goes very slow in the shop for some reason. Got to keep notes.

21 hours ago, Herman said:

Can’t wait to get back in a record shop, there’s a charity shop I use that opens on Saturday where I occasionally find a bargain, can’t beat that feeling can you ? 😁

• Like 1

Not that I can afford the prices, but I love flicking through the racks of vinyl seeing if I stumble across anything. And because people are replacing their collections CD prices have plummeted. Having a largish collection already it is increasingly harder to find something I haven't already got or heard.

• Like 1

I'd never heard of Terry Kath ot at least I didn't think i had until i looked him up. I just wasn't familiar with the numerous members of Chicago! 

Love Stevie Rays cover of Taxman. 

Gotta say. I think i prefer the non football section of this forum! You can have a civilised discussion and I'm actually learnimg stuff.

Just to be clear this isn't a criticism in any way of anything. I think also its a good distraction. Everyone's annoyed football hasn't quite gone as we'd hoped. 

Anyway.. Keep up the good work. Loving discovering new tunes. And of course mocking Trump! 

27 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Gotta say. I think i prefer the non football section of this forum! You can have a civilised discussion and I'm actually learnimg stuff.

Just to be clear this isn't a criticism in any way of anything. I think also its a good distraction. Everyone's annoyed football hasn't quite gone as we'd hoped

Been thinking the same myself 👍

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Been thinking the same myself 👍

And me too. The main thread has not been great this last week. 

I've learned too who to trust in terms of adult and reasoned responses.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Anyone got any music memorabilia? I’ve got a copy of Modern Nature by the Charlatans signed by all the band members and a tour poster of St Paul and the Broken Bones also signed. Got both up on the wall in my music room 😁

A few setlists I've grabbed from various gigs. They might be giants, echo and the bunnymen and ocean colour scene.

A signed drum head from Steve white. 

Nothing more than that unfortunately. I'm never giving up my quest to own one of moonies drum kits tho. That would be the ultimate for me. The trouble is he had a habit of destroying them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Anyone got any music memorabilia? I’ve got a copy of Modern Nature by the Charlatans signed by all the band members and a tour poster of St Paul and the Broken Bones also signed. Got both up on the wall in my music room 😁

Just a few autographs from backstage (Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe et al).

I do have an amp bought from a fella who bought it from Allan Holdsworth (died last year), the famous jazz guitarist. He got given the amp from the Beatles! Yet, that's the story and I cannot prove its provenance of course. I guess the story might make the amp worth something (it's a pre 1964 one). More likely not.

My best music 'memory' if you like,  (not really memorabilia but a chance to tell the story, which itself is self-parodic) was when in a band we supported Wilko Johnson in the 80s and after I asked whether we could do other support gigs. He seemed to just stare at me or through me, in what seemed like a long 10 seconds, (accompanied by Lee Brilleaux) and simply said "No".

It required no follow up questions and I made a sheepish retreat. I suppose if you don't ask, you don't get a chance ("it's a sh*t business" ...Les in League of Gentlemen).

• Like 1

Got a couple of signed Iron Maiden items, one being their rare first EP.

Also had a drumstick that Thurston Moore had used on his guitar. My dad used it to stir a tin of paint so that went into the bin.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I'd never heard of Terry Kath ot at least I didn't think i had until i looked him up. I just wasn't familiar with the numerous members of Chicago! 

Love Stevie Rays cover of Taxman. 

Just to be clear this isn't a criticism in any way of anything. I think also its a good distraction. Everyone's annoyed football hasn't quite gone as we'd hoped. 

Anyway.. Keep up the good work. Loving discovering new tunes. And of course mocking Trump! 

Its lovely not being accused of anything or taking sides.

No music memorabilia. Last music performance was singing Chamapagne Supernova while my 14 year old Grandson played guitar at a Jam Session.

Given up playing the bass badly and was having some success with the saxophone until we got a dog who doesn't like my playing.

A couple of lesser known tracks from what I class as 5 star albums. Not a duff track on them imo.

• Like 1

Any Stone Roses fans in here should check out the new DMAs album. some of the tracks are a bit experimental but there is a huge Stone Roses type sound running through the entire thing (They cite SR as one of their major musical influences so not completely unexpected).

My personal faves are 'Silver', 'Criminals', 'Never before', and the title track 'The Glow'..... Never before could easily be passed off as a Stone Roses song.

• Like 1

Jangly guitars...end of 1980s I think...from a band who look like junior accountants

• Like 1

Liking the DMAs. I see what you mean about the roses influence. To underline  that point you can get a CD and bucket hat package!

Nice one Herman. 

Here's one from about 1988. Saw them play on an island stage in the middle of a lake on a warm late summer evening.

• Like 2

I’ve just bought a compilation album released for record store day 2017. It’s called Garage Daze, full of  60’s garage rock like this.

• Like 2