Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

On 09/06/2020 at 21:52, keelansgrandad said:

The Temptations were probably my favourite Motown group but this is still one of my individual performances and shows the vocal range wasn't just doobee do wah.

Great to hear those voices.

Have you heard Colin Blunstone's Levi Stubbs Tears? A song with a story and a v good lyric (Billy Bragg).

Edited: may as well post here.

Edited by sonyc

13 hours ago, sonyc said:

Mellow theme...

Heard on 6 this afternoon as Guy Garvey's pick. 

Another recent Todd (co-written with his son)

One of many favourite Nick Drake songs

That Nick Drake song is such a brilliant melody. Haunting I believe is the word.

My favourite song on the Todd White Kinight album is Lets Do This, very much a song with massive reference to his songs from a different era.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That Nick Drake song is such a brilliant melody. Haunting I believe is the word.

My favourite song on the Todd White Kinight album is Lets Do This, very much a song with massive reference to his songs from a different era.

Agree on Let's Do This. Has a trademark guitar riff on it. Happy song too.

18 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Has anyone been taking part inTim Burgess’ listening parties on Twitter?

A little yeah, I saw him on Friday, he’s really pleased with how popular it’s been

A few songs tucked away. Cheers for the selections these past few months. It's been appreciated.👍

Apologies if I have repeated any.

• Like 1

Here's one for you Herman by your namesake 😉

Been played a lot on R6...Lockdown version.

And a peaceful piano peace

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And one for you Sonyc

Enjoyed that....Back atcha Kg...

Bit of a Deacon Blue vibe perhaps from David Scott here (or theatrical) but he's a big Rundgren fan and this is his tribute...

On 15/06/2020 at 17:54, FenwayFrank said:

A little yeah, I saw him on Friday, he’s really pleased with how popular it’s been

He seems like a nice bloke and very knowledgeable. Did he come up with the idea? I was listening on Friday, it was  Shed Seven‘s “comeback” album.

Edited by Mr Angry

Good to see Fontaines DC get a mention. They are coming up with consistently good music this lat year. And good to hear a strong Dub accent being used effectively.

Like that Woody Herman. Daydreaming of me curled up on the sofa with slippers, silk dressing gown, pipe and Grace Kelly.😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

He seems like a nice bloke and very knowledgeable. Did he come up with the idea? I was listening on Friday, it was  Shed Seven‘s “comeback” album.

He’s been doing them occasionally for some time on the anniversary of Charlatans albums, but not on this scale. His partner Nik is nice too. It still seems odd when he’s walking round the shop with a trolley getting some groceries 😁

7 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

He’s been doing them occasionally for some time on the anniversary of Charlatans albums, but not on this scale. His partner Nik is nice too. It still seems odd when he’s walking round the shop with a trolley getting some groceries 😁

He’s hard to miss with that haircut 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a lot of affection for Paddy MacAloon and Prefab Sprout who maybe were just too clever for mainstream. But have just been listening to a new and very different style.

• Like 1

Love that badfinger song. I cant hear it without picturing the end of a certain tv series. (not going to spoil that for anyone whos not seen it) 

Got a bit obsessed with them for a bit after that. Did some great stuff. As you say tho. A pretty tragic story. 

Mellow evening selection ... starting with a nice bass line and some lovely moves.

On 16/06/2020 at 23:58, ron obvious said:

We were due to see JCC again this year in April but of course it wasn't to be, perhaps it will be rescheduled for next April? That was a very young man's performance, his humour now being a little softer, with folk joing in a kind of celebration ("tw4t!!" for example).

Enjoyed the Ivor Cutler. What a unique man, so in command of language... winding itself round deeper meanings, never telling but pointing the way obliquely. Is there anyone left like him? 

Like many, I tend to live in the past now and efforts to get on with modern pop fall upon deaf ears. I've had many attempts at Ed Sheeran but cannot get infected.

Tastes vary with generations and I have finally come to understand why both my parents saw nothing to like about the Rolling Stones, thought 'Sgt. Pepper' was nonsense and just about had time for the Kinks when they sang 'Sunny Afternoon.'

So for me it's oldie stuff every time. The Waterboys have recently been resurrected and Steely Dan's 'yacht rock' has appeal. Throw in Neil Young's 'Down by the River' and it's all a bit wet by the standards of today's youth.

I did love punk at a local pub every Friday evening, but only enjoy that stuff live, never at home. 

I'm not clever enough to appreciate much classical music, but love it on the car radio on a long trip.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Takes me back to me yoof Ron, Cwrt Bleddyn in my case😘

Edited by Van wink