Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Thanks Ron. This is probably one of my favourite Sting songs (and on that Blue Turtles album, they're all strong tracks...Set them free is joyous and Russians clever for example). But deconstructions like this are right up my street (as a guitarist (amateur) and more so, as a former songwriter. It helps understanding and getting underneath.

I've been watching this fella who does YouTube videos of time signatures and I attach a Thom Yorke one here just for interest  (I love what Yorke does with a few sparse chords). 

Anyway, cheers. Will be looking up Rick Beato now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sonyc said:

Thanks Ron. This is probably one of my favourite Sting songs (and on that Blue Turtles album, they're all strong tracks...Set them free is joyous and Russians clever for example). But deconstructions like this are right up my street (as a guitarist (amateur) and more so, as a former songwriter. It helps understanding and getting underneath.

I've been watching this fella who does YouTube videos of time signatures and I attach a Thom Yorke one here just for interest  (I love what Yorke does with a few sparse chords). 

We've come a long way since The Moon In June ...

@ron obvious I was even looking at some of Abba's work, which is far more complex than what I thought (lots of major chords with some dramatic minor chords added).

I guess its the work of genius ....to make something quite complicated sound very direct and accessible.

Bought the Healing album and this track wasn't on it. Had to buy a second hand cassette to get this version. Before downloading of course.

Edited by keelansgrandad

That guy with the time signature stuff is great. I'd not come across him before. I think ive actually learnt something today! Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

I just watched an interesting documentary on Duran Duran and am now on Sky arts, Rolling Stones at Hyde Park 

17 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I just watched an interesting documentary on Duran Duran and am now on Sky arts, Rolling Stones at Hyde Park 

There was also one on Eric Clapton last night if you are interested in him. BBC.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 23:05, sonyc said:

Just listened to this and loved it. I find this sort of thing really interesting ( until it gets really complicated 😁). I would never have thought the time signature was 4/4

Edited by FenwayFrank

51 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just listened to this and loved it. I find this sort of thing really interesting ( until it gets really complicated 😁). I would never have thought the time signature was 4/4

Totally agree. It's amazing how he plays the chords in different places to give an imbalanced vibe about it.

This is also worth a watch... showing either that 'classical' composers were the pop stars of their day (which I think they were) or a lack of imagination today (though I think art often borrows ideas so it's fine). Anyway I found it a fascinating 19 minutes ( excusing the advert!).

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just the one tonight but a good one. Always loved the lyrics, dark underneath ... & how the song hinges on the drum roll after the beautiful line "and the moon rose over an open field". 

• Like 1

Good video makers make things you wouldn't normally be interested in, interesting. And I dig the way she says Jethro Tull. 

And why do I not have any Simon and Garfunkel in my collection?? 

Edited by Herman

3 very different!

Almost bizarre 'protest' song

And included here this one for pure pop but mainly for the video (especially like the moment when she takes off her welding helmut!)

Very strange Matt Monro song SonyC, The lyrics as you say were a protest song whereas the melody is a jolly little ditty. Sinatra said Matt was the real Guvnor

I heard Barry Lee and the Planets sing this at the Royal Norfolk Show about 1964. Loved the song and found out who did the original and then came to know Motown.

• Like 2

The Temptations were probably my favourite Motown group but this is still one of my individual performances and shows the vocal range wasn't just doobee do wah.

• Like 2

Heard this on 3 this morning. Something to drift off to.

Had this on in the car. Something not to drift off to.

• Like 1

Mellow theme...

Heard on 6 this afternoon as Guy Garvey's pick. 

Another recent Todd (co-written with his son)

One of many favourite Nick Drake songs

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1