Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

On 22/05/2020 at 16:55, keelansgrandad said:

One of the greats with one of his simplest yet atmospheric movie tunes

He was brilliant. Did the score for Walkabout and Out of Africa, and many others. There was also Ennio Morricone, who did the spaghetti westerns, but also a wonderful score for Once Upon a Time in America - a very long and very violent gangster film, which had a disconcertingly evocative theme tune:

• Like 1

Speaking of film scores...this music always matches the sadness of the film's ending and those brilliant Hamlet lines...

Loved this difficult film too (not that I am too influenced by Béatrice Dalle😉)

Is there synchronicity going on here sonyc? I've been watching some of Bruce Robinson's pieces about W & I over the past week or so.

7 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Is there synchronicity going on here sonyc? I've been watching some of Bruce Robinson's pieces about W & I over the past week or so.

I think it's possibly in my top ten of films. Never get bored of watching it. It's the music, the sadness, the hilarious. Dark too.

And it so much reminds me of my youth (watching others get wrecked as I watched on with my idealism and guitar mainly). I used to have some of the look of Grant so folk used to say. Plus it's set up north in the main not far from where I live.

So many favourite scenes Ron I would bore everyone explaining why. 

30 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I think it's possibly in my top ten of films. Never get bored of watching it. It's the music, the sadness, the hilarious. Dark too.

And it so much reminds me of my youth (watching others get wrecked as I watched on with my idealism and guitar mainly). I used to have some of the look of Grant so folk used to say. Plus it's set up north in the main not far from where I live.

So many favourite scenes Ron I would bore everyone explaining why. 

It's a great film sonyc. Can't say I've ever been in that sort of situation, certainly never achieved those heroic levels of squalor. I think the ability of such a film to make you so involved with characters you have no natural sympathy for or affinity with marks it out as a piece of true art.

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

It's a great film sonyc. Can't say I've ever been in that sort of situation, certainly never achieved those heroic levels of squalor. I think the ability of such a film to make you so involved with characters you have no natural sympathy for or affinity with marks it out as a piece of true art.

Indeed it is art. I would still be proud now if I'd been the script writer. The reason you empathise is because, despite a fairly limited plot, there is virtually no waste in every single scene. The script is so tight, full of meaning and with humour. The depth in the writing makes each character come alive. Astonishing.

It resonates closely because I used to visit a house like theirs (around 1982, just a couple of years before this was made) to make music. The characters are not even ridiculously drawn. I've met them all.

Yet, always I've been an observer Ron, never immersing in life, but watching on really closely. Hence the 'I' in W&I is meaningful. Like the egg frying scene (could have been me in that cafe watching and my internal dialogue). I even knew a W character and tried to 'save' him over many years but couldn't, so I had to get away.

Now I'm thinking about all this, no wonder it strikes me so much!

It's about that terrible battle between trying to keep artistic integrity at any cost and making a living isn't it. And that being true to oneself is difficult as one tries to make sense of society (Uncle Monty's loss and living in an unreal world).

So many levels though.

And how I wish I could have gone into that cafe and asked for cake after a few pints. Childish, outrageous and funny. They must have laughed themselves silly filming that, including the oldies.

An ex girlfriend loved them. But that's not the reason she's my ex. 😀

Marvellous Kim G. One of my all time faves.👍 Thanks to that I stumbled on this. No Kim, but a brilliant version.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Marvellous Kim G. One of my all time faves.👍 Thanks to that I stumbled on this. No Kim, but a brilliant version.

Love that whole Surfer Rosa thing

• Like 2

Can’t beat a bit of Fairport Ron.

Did they have an album cover that had an image of a bus? crashing into a wall?

It may be the time of night and a bit too much of the Billy juice, but I think it may have been a property in LIttle Hadham  which was on my patch many years ago.

Edited by Van wink

7 hours ago, Van wink said:

Can’t bear a bit of Fairport Ron.

It may be the time of night and a bit too much of the Billy juice, but I think it may have been a property in LIttle Hadham  which was on my patch many years ago.

I can't find the image VW, but I know I've seen it somewhere. It was a bad crash - injured most of them & killed Martin Lamble.

Sandy Denny had a tragic end too; drink did for her, such a shame, I loved her voice.

I'd forgotten they were in Little Hadham. I used to live in Stortford, so know the village a bit. Still go through it occasionally.

Liege & Lief was the first record I played on my 'hi fi' , bought with my married man's tax rebate. God I'm old.

31 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I can't find the image VW, but I know I've seen it somewhere. It was a bad crash - injured most of them & killed Martin Lamble.

Sandy Denny had a tragic end too; drink did for her, such a shame, I loved her voice.

I'd forgotten they were in Little Hadham. I used to live in Stortford, so know the village a bit. Still go through it occasionally.

Liege & Lief was the first record I played on my 'hi fi' , bought with my married man's tax rebate. God I'm old.

Used to work for East Herts DC and lived in Wareside. I think the house where the accident happened is by the Little Hadham traffic lights, you can see where the place was rebuilt, the bricks are a slightly different colour, at least they were 35 years ago.

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The new Reykjavíkurdætur / Daughters of Reykjavík album is out!!

NME review

A wonderful listen 🙂

Thanks for the recommendation HIWEM. Been listening to Spotlight, Late Bloomers and my current favourite Sweets (on YouTube).... those velvety voices.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Van wink said:

Can’t beat a bit of Fairport Ron.

Glad you edited that VW 😄😉

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, sonyc said:

Thanks for the recommendation HIWEM. Been listening to Spotlight, Late Bloomers and my current favourite Sweets (on YouTube).... those velvety voices.

They have headed for  a slightly different direction since the earlier work. I was a bit worried I wouldn't like it, but I  think it's great. They have gone for a slightly softer sound (as the title implies) but have kept the attitude that gives them an edge

Yes, that attitude is definitely not far underneath, maybe some understated sarcasm and irony which I like. Parts of songs do enter Spice Girls territory a little but not politically (in the widest sense of the term).

It helped to read the NME review too.  Cheers.