Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

One of the most beautiful songs I've come across only recently (even a mention of Yarmouth in it which is an odd thing to say in the same sentence 😐)

Trains, full of symbolism, an acoustic guitar solo, claps and banjo. Incredible.

@sonyc I've probably said it before but the Cerys Matthews show, Sunday mornings on 6music. plays a lot of stuff similar to what you post up, from sea shanties, New Orleans jazz, Chicago blues, French chanteuse and everything in between.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Herman said:

@sonyc I've probably said it before but the Cerys Matthews show, Sunday mornings on 6music. plays a lot of stuff similar to what you post up, from sea shanties, New Orleans jazz, Chicago blues, French chanteuse and everything in between.

I listen to her every now and then Herman (but not in the last few months) and yes, she is a good listen with a varied menu which I particularly like. I heard the Shoals of Herring song on R3 (used to wake up to R4 playing but after a while the politics depressed me...all angry shouting and points scoring so switched to R3 and all is now great! #mustbegettingold).

Scala occasionally has decent stuff (The Space) and Late Junction used to be interesting (to say the least) but since it was pared to one show, it's less so.

I paint and like to listen to non vocal stuff as it just helps with the process ... got lots of inspiration from this thread, saving all kinds to my mobile.

So much great music about.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Sweet song. 

Looking at the hair, some of them have been in lockdown too long, especially Jesus.😀 Coming from a non-fan of musicals it is a nice piece of music.

36 minutes ago, Herman said:

Looking at the hair, some of them have been in lockdown too long, especially Jesus.😀 Coming from a non-fan of musicals it is a nice piece of music.

Another 73 lockdown song.

Political message and anger beneath the surface, belied by sardonic lyrics

Rusbie

Vintage Wonderstuff

• Like 1

On 22/05/2020 at 15:55, keelansgrandad said:

One of the greats with one of his simplest yet atmospheric movie tunes

A piece of music that underscores the pathos and sadness in such a great film. Perhaps one of the best scores to go so well with a film?

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

One of my favourite lines of a lyric in this song because it's so hopeful for a better tomorrow. It strikes right at the core of my foolish idealism.

"Maybe a great magnet pulls all souls towards truth. Or is it life itself, that gives wisdom to its youth"

22 hours ago, sonyc said:

I listen to her every now and then Herman (but not in the last few months) and yes, she is a good listen with a varied menu which I particularly like. I heard the Shoals of Herring song on R3 (used to wake up to R4 playing but after a while the politics depressed me...all angry shouting and points scoring so switched to R3 and all is now great! #mustbegettingold).

Scala occasionally has decent stuff (The Space) and Late Junction used to be interesting (to say the least) but since it was pared to one show, it's less so.

I paint and like to listen to non vocal stuff as it just helps with the process ... got lots of inspiration from this thread, saving all kinds to my mobile.

So much great music about.

Been listening to R3 for about 50 years now. It's been a huge influence on my life.

I went through a stage where I was getting up at 7 a.m., working on my house for a couple of hours, going to work for the core hours necessary then back to the house by 5 p.m, usually finishing just after Late Junction. The intro music for Through The Night told me it was time to stop.

Got made redundant after a few months (surprise surprise) so worked full time on the house, about 9 months in all. I went from 11 & a half stone to 10 stone (I missed quite a few meals).

They were strange days. By the time late Junction came on I was often in an almost hallucinogenic state.

I don't think I could do it again.

• Haha 1

50 years! You're lucky. I've only had about 10 solid. But intermittently I listened (hearing Stenhammar's Serenade brought me to tears I recall). They played some weird stuff on LJ didn't they. Maybe 20% was so special but you had to stay the course.

I turn off at Through the Night too as it changes mood then quite weirdly.

BBC R3 (and daytime / evening R4) are fascinating stations (institutions?) if only for the sheer variety / diversity of material.

36 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Quite naughty lyrics but a great song proving that acoustic guitars do have a place

Saw them supporting Travis a couple of years ago, a good night

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Been listening to R3 for about 50 years now. It's been a huge influence on my life.

I went through a stage where I was getting up at 7 a.m., working on my house for a couple of hours, going to work for the core hours necessary then back to the house by 5 p.m, usually finishing just after Late Junction. The intro music for Through The Night told me it was time to stop.

Got made redundant after a few months (surprise surprise) so worked full time on the house, about 9 months in all. I went from 11 & a half stone to 10 stone (I missed quite a few meals).

They were strange days. By the time late Junction came on I was often in an almost hallucinogenic state.

I don't think I could do it again.

I'm not sure whether this is your dry sense of humour or more serious (possibly both) Ron but looking again being 10 stone sounds a considerable drop in weight and hints at either a difficult time or a more mad response to redundancy (which is understandable), keeping busy. Possibly music helped though. It has that power.

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

50 years! You're lucky. I've only had about 10 solid. But intermittently I listened (hearing Stenhammar's Serenade brought me to tears I recall). They played some weird stuff on LJ didn't they. Maybe 20% was so special but you had to stay the course.

I turn off at Through the Night too as it changes mood then quite weirdly.

BBC R3 (and daytime / evening R4) are fascinating stations (institutions?) if only for the sheer variety / diversity of material.

Words & Music frequently moves me to tears, sometimes it's rubbish though. The most poignant one I heard was nominally about death, although it was really about love. I wept buckets.

It does go switched off Thursday afternoons (opera)(shudder) & Sat/Sun late afternoons (jazz)(ditto).

22 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I'm not sure whether this is your dry sense of humour or more serious (possibly both) Ron but looking again being 10 stone sounds a considerable drop in weight and hints at either a difficult time or a more mad response to redundancy (which is understandable), keeping busy. Possibly music helped though. It has that power.

A bit of a personal crisis sparked it sonyc, which resulted in a necessity to make the house as saleable as possible. I've spent most of my working life on contract, so a job ending was no big deal (in fact a blessed release in this case!).

Never been so fit though. I looked down when I was having a shower & thought I'd got some horrible disease till I realised it was a six-pack.

Only just introduced to Elgar this year (heard of Pomp & Circumstance and Enigma variations but no more). So that last piece was interesting and enjoyable. 

Not sure if I've posted it or not but I've been listening to Elgar's Lux Aeterna by Voces8 recently.

May as well leave it here...

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

That's a lovely setting of Nimrod. I'm a sucker for choral music.

I've got a selection of Elgar's part songs & sea pictures. Total nostalgia. Where Corals Lie is so ... Edwardian. I think this is my favourite though

• Like 1

I thought you lads might like this clever bit of music and video making.

Hmmm, twitter vids struggle on here now. Click near her name and it will take you to it.

Edited by Herman

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I thought you lads might like this clever bit of music and video making.

Hmmm, twitter vids struggle on here now. Click near her name and it will take you to it.

I saw that on my feed but didn't open, though tempted. She has deconstructed it and felt she needed 8 of her to make it work....an old fashioned 8 track.

On 24/05/2020 at 00:32, ron obvious said:

Words & Music frequently moves me to tears

Had a chat with someone at work about this, we both came up with a list of songs that set us off 😁

"I was more than usual píssed" 🙂

9 minutes of one riff

I love and miss MES

EDIT - youtube has the spelling wrong, it should be BREMEN NACHT

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man