Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Selection inspired by very different songwriting styles and very individual voices.... Best Dylan song? The emotion cracks in his voice and the lyric is wonderful, likewise the lyricism in 2, 3 & 4 . Like poems set to music and worth the look up.

Edited by sonyc

A mix of Ruth Gipps and The LA's (the curious case of Lee Mavers).

These two cannot ever have been put together in the same sentence before!

• Like 1

@ron obvious...a quick thank you for the Tumbleweed Connection Elton John selection a week or so back. I'm going through the album and it's great. I would never have considered EJ to listen to (not that I have anything much against his output).

There was a decent TV programme a while back claiming 1971 was a golden year for music. 

Thanks sonyc, Ruth's definitely a keeper. I've got Alan Rawsthorne oboe concerto on my to listen to list along with Arnold Cooke, Tubin & some Messiaen. I heard a piece with harpsichord by Hugo Distler yesterday which I'm going to look up. There's a lot of music out there ...

Saw REM twice, once earlier in their career and one later. Great performances both times. 

But this is my favourite track

Daughters of Reykjavík released a new video a week back 

A good example of social distancing, and nice to see Kolfinna make a cameo appearance 

I get a little mention from Steiney, bottom left, at 3:20 😊

• Like 1

Currently going back through The National's discography- lots to love there.

On a totally different note, I've been a big fan of anything from Rn the Jewels of late.

• Like 1

Classical pieces....Think my favourite piece is Stenhammar's Serenade. Here included just two of the five movements ...3 & 4 (difficult to choose) ...the whole piece is about 35 minutes. Ending with Bradford -born Delius and a Lenehan piano piece in the middle.

Edited by sonyc

Thanks Ron (no reactions left today). Always Loved Peter Buck's guitar. His sensitive style is either a great counterpoint / or adds to Stipe's voice

On 10/05/2020 at 17:17, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

"So Mr Williamson, what have you done to find gainful employment since your last signing on day?"

CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE

Loved that HIWEM. Big fan of vicious anger like that

• Thanks 1

Obsessed with DMAs at the moment - You can hear the huge influences of Oasis, The Charlatans, The Verve, Stone Roses etc etc in their tunes.

Here's a selection of my top tracks by them.

• Like 2

Here are artists I feel are under-rated. Billy Franks was one of those musicians who died in 2016. Spent a lot of time supporting local people. And he put his whole soul into his political songs. Just two Faith Brothers songs here. 

An odd wistful one here from The Passions ("I'm in love with a German film star" fame)

And ending with an atmospheric song that just grows in your head the more you listen...a band that stated true to their art and never compromised

Cheers, I had only ever heard German Film Star and Driving Away From Home from them. More of those bands from the 80s like Talk Talk and the Blue Nile that I missed at the time, (too focused on heavy metal.)

Here's another I've only just "discovered" in the last few years.

I remember going to see Billy Bragg at the UEA. The original support band had cancelled so this band played instead. I promptly went to Backs records and ordered this, I’ve still got it and play it quite regularly. Hopefully you’ll like it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Cheers, I had only ever heard German Film Star and Driving Away From Home from them. More of those bands from the 80s like Talk Talk and the Blue Nile that I missed at the time, (too focused on heavy metal.)

Here's another I've only just "discovered" in the last few years.

My favourite Go Betweens song. They have a nice backlog. Bittersweet often. I love the guitars in this and that strange extra beat she puts in. It gives the track an asymmetrical feel, uncertain and not completely at ease. In so doing it adds to the meaning of the lyrics. Sheer class.

It's Immaterial...I have all their albums and EPs even. They produced two main albums but after an amazing first album (all strong tracks ...album is called "Life's Hard and then you die") they followed with a very unusual and fiercely uncommercial second album which the record company refused to market. They wanted a hit. The band (a pair of songwriters) refused and so they folded essentially. They crowd funded an 'album' in recent years. Their second album was full of social commentary, about the cuts, people's lives in real close up. And it wasn't as 'musical'. My son loves them too (in his twenties) which I'm proud of. New Brighton is a strange part of Liverpool and the track I've included is haunting. The video they made themselves echoes the song so well.

Edited by sonyc

37 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I remember going to see Billy Bragg at the UEA. The original support band had cancelled so this band played instead. I promptly went to Backs records and ordered this, I’ve still got it and play it quite regularly. Hopefully you’ll like it 

Great stuff FF. One of my other favourites of his is Greetings to the New Brunette. 

Very mildly controversial but after The Bends, Kid A is the best Radiohead album.