Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Classical themes tonight...with a focus on short melodic pieces that lift you.

• Thanks 1

My brother is a big Steven Wilson fan and he persuaded me to see this band, one that Wilson has produced. More emotional rock than I am used to but really good live. Pleasantly surprised with them.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2020 at 17:24, FenwayFrank said:

Tim Burgess from the Charlatans is currently having listening parties. You put on the selected album on at the same time on the same day. If you then go on twitter someone from that band tweets stories around the making of that album. Here’s a list of all those listening parties with dates.

https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/

A little follow up.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/10/tim-burgess-twitter-listening-parties

@Ron,

That's a Stravinsky I've not seen. Reminded me of Pan's People at one point. Very light. I have Firebird, Petrushka and Rites in my collection. He is a genius and an acquired taste too. 

Not heard Skellern for years! What a voice.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

@Ron,

That's a Stravinsky I've not seen. Reminded me of Pan's People at one point. Very light. I have Firebird, Petrushka and Rites in my collection. He is a genius and an acquired taste too. 

Not heard Skellern for years! What a voice.

Thought it time for a light selection (after the apocalypse).

The ballet made me burst out laughing when they nodded their heads. Such a sweet little dance.

Love the backing group in Genius. i'd forgotten what a babe Tina Weymouth was. Just a fun little song.

Did you recognise the Shostakovitch? It was the perfect opener for the programme - Ever Decreasing Circles indeed!

Skellern was a great example of  a singer who can't sing - well, not by any objective standard. But it doesn't matter, it's a wonderful voice; soothing, gentle, full of love, romance & compassion. RIP Peter.

In case you were worrying I've made a list - I've got a million of 'em, so won't run out. You lucky people :classic_laugh:

34 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Thought it time for a light selection (after the apocalypse).

The ballet made me burst out laughing when they nodded their heads. Such a sweet little dance.

Love the backing group in Genius. i'd forgotten what a babe Tina Weymouth was. Just a fun little song.

Did you recognise the Shostakovitch? It was the perfect opener for the programme - Ever Decreasing Circles indeed!

Skellern was a great example of  a singer who can't sing - well, not by any objective standard. But it doesn't matter, it's a wonderful voice; soothing, gentle, full of love, romance & compassion. RIP Peter.

In case you were worrying I've made a list - I've got a million of 'em, so won't run out. You lucky people :classic_laugh:

Yeah, wasn't so much my thing the apocalypse thread! But I stayed with it.

Ever Decreasing Circles...no I didn't know. But I have a renewed admiration for some of those 'sitcoms' of the 70s and 80s for some reason plus Richard Briers was an interesting character!

I'm going for an ambient theme later.

Edited by sonyc

Poppy Ackroyd, very good.👍 There's some great neo-classical out there at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Here are four more for today. 1 @BobLoz3 recommended. A group of Norwich lads and  good it is too. One something brand new I heard on radio Scala yesterday. And two of more utmost favourite artists, Richter and Johannsson.

16 hours ago, Herman said:

Here are four more for today. 1 @BobLoz3 recommended. A group of Norwich lads and  good it is too. One something brand new I heard on radio Scala yesterday. And two of more utmost favourite artists, Richter and Johannsson.

Glad you're vibing on Mammal Hands mate! Those lads have another group called Sunda Arc. Can't remember if I mentioned it? Anyway... Enjoy!

Edited by BobLoz3

12 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Never heard of mammal hands, enjoyed it

Good to hear, Franko. @Feedthewolf is also a pal of those lads. They're very talented musicians. You might also like Sons of Kemet who have a similar vibe

On 09/04/2020 at 22:33, Herman said:

My brother is a big Steven Wilson fan and he persuaded me to see this band, one that Wilson has produced. More emotional rock than I am used to but really good live. Pleasantly surprised with them.

That was my go to song as a teenager when I was drunk and feeling maudlin, never thought I'd see it on here, I'd forgotten about it actually. Good to hear it again

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 09:18, FenwayFrank said:

As it’s Easter Sunday 

Excellent album Jordan the Comeback. Not a weak song on it.

• Like 2

A broad basket of goodies this evening:

1. Kate Bush. Such emotion in this particular piece

2. Sam Lee. Unusual piece. Only heard of this bloke a month ago (Jasper Sea)

3. Still Corners...breathy vocals, about 4 simple chords and occasional dropped snare beat. The metronomic beat is music to drive to (but not beyond your lockdown area)

4. Yusuf Lateef ..... nice ....just to end with (from 1962)

Edited by sonyc
  • Thanks 1

That Kate Bush song never fails to bring a tear to the eye. A real beauty. 

23 minutes ago, Herman said:

That Kate Bush song never fails to bring a tear to the eye. A real beauty. 

Yes, the lyric in the chorus has a universal quality, perhaps archetypal is an even better description. And... "make it go away" seemed apt for these times too.