Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Not French PC but close (Belgian). One of the greatest troubadours ever wrote this song & it's ... well ..

One for Fenway Frank, a bit of Holland Dozier and Holland after they had left Motown...

Sounds like Chairman Of The Board, I notice that General Johnson (their lead singer) had a writing credit on this...

Great selection sonyc. Hadn't heard the first band before - very good. Long time since I heard The Stranglers! Got a few Siouxsie Sioux's lined up.

Can still see Wyatt rocking back & forth in his wheelchair on (I think) OGWT singing that song. Immensely moving - never realised it was written by Costello till years later. It's his song though, he inhabits it.

Edited by ron obvious

On a French note, here's my favourite and there's a bit of a story in this song.

Edited by sonyc

17 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Not French PC but close (Belgian). One of the greatest troubadours ever wrote this song & it's ... well ..

Forgive me but if we are talking Brel I prefer originals. 'Ay Marieke, Marieke, revienne le temps':

When in the sun, usually Spain, I have to play Blank & Jones, the masters of Chill and Lounge. They've released several stunning albums if this is your bag...

Ian Dury took me back. Loved NBAP and such musicianship.

Saw Richmond live once (small venue so could get close to the stage) and learnt to play his Egyptian Reggae number after watching the chords carefully! A weird, quirky kind of bloke.

Love the VW too, reckon a big favourite of yours.

And where the hell did Left Banke come from? A left fielde one that!

The Go-Betweens folded really when their songwriter/guitarist died young. Listen out for Streets of Your Town. It's bittersweet with an incredibly upbeat happy sounding melody but darker lyrics which just adds to a kind of pathos....which I think is quite a skill.

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Forgive me but if we are talking Brel I prefer originals. 'Ay Marieke, Marieke, revienne le temps':

Great stuff Purple...

I'm (sadly) a late comer to Scott Walker (but better late than never) and so much of his fantastic early stuff I believe was influenced by Brel. 

Indeed, I have one song I was going to post in days ahead (my favourite) and am tempted now but will wait.

19 minutes ago, sonyc said:

On a French note, here's my favourite and it's a bit of a story in it.

Didn't know this. It is charming, in a good way!

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Didn't know this. It is charming, in a good way!

I have to admit knowing very many french songs .....this one just makes me think of tree covered empty french roads in an old Renault 4! 

It's very well known in France, folk song along out loud which is a bit cringey, yet charming.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, I nearly always prefer originals but (to me) Harvey's roaring, weird, Glaswegian interpretation loads the song with the passion & anger that it deserves. It brings home the horror & humiliation, You go through it with him.

6 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Yes, I nearly always prefer originals but (to me) Harvey's roaring, weird, Glaswegian interpretation loads the song with the passion & anger that it deserves. It brings home the horror & humiliation, You go through it with him.

Ron, I will have another listen. The SAHB are new to me. My formative tastes were not so much in that direction. But as we are talking about troubadors, as Brel was, this is the nearest American equivalent. Sadly underrated in his time and little-known now:

Edited by PurpleCanary

There are some songs that make you a bit emotional aren’t there? Shipbuilding is one of those songs for me, along with a few others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Ron, I will have another listen. The SAHB are new to me. My formative tastes were not so much in that direction. But as we are talking about troubadors, as Brel was, this is the nearest American equivalent. Sadly underrated in his time and little-known now:

TBH I doubt you'll find much appeal in Alex Harvey. My fondness for SAHB is fuelled by the two mesmeric concerts I saw in the mid 1970s. As performances they are up there with Shostakovich 7 I saw at the Barbican, sat next to the snare drums. By any objective standards he had a terrible voice, but the power of personality & range of emotion he could express overcame his technical deficiencies. 'Anthem' is a wonderful example of this. And I love the way he deconstructed that macho piece of tripe that is Delilah.

Edited by ron obvious

Just had a listen to 'Jailbreak' the album (vinyl).....Loved Tin Lizzy an' lean Phil......I felt it was the best line-up for them as a group....Gorham & Robertson, dual guitars splendido......

On an evening of worrying news, no compilation feels easy. But...here goes:

1. Perhaps one of the greatest songs written? (How could I even say that). It just gets to you after even one listen (the first listen you're thinking WTF). 

2. Jean Claude Vannier...madness must be in the spirit of this 1972 largely instrumental 'song'... the drumming is great

3. Grand Funk Railroad & Zappa ..Featuring 2 quite ridiculous FZ guitar solos, the first is just genius and the reason to post this. A weird collaboration.

4. Typical time changes in this short Laura song. Could have chosen quite a few others.

Jazz, long ones too. I get that some hate it but I hope those give these a try.

• Like 1

Apocalypse night

First of all: time for the big one. The God machine.

Subject matter of the second v. appropriate. Like it or not, it's an amazing voice.

Third: more power Igor! Engage the phantastrons! My creation must live!!

Lastly something a bit lighter. Creepy but lighter.

Rock memorabilia. I found a drumstick at the "Save The GLC" gig in ´84 at Brockwell Park that I thought might´ve belonged to Rat Scabies, but it didn´t. I´ve got a few set lists, mostly The Fall and Reykjavíkurdætur

I wonder who ended up with this priceless item 😉

EDIT - I´ve just read the comments on youtube, someone who says they were there says it got thrown back at the stage!! 

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
additional comment

I know his name and have heard bits of his over the years but no albums in my collection. It does sound good, kinda bluesy👍

Tim Burgess from the Charlatans is currently having listening parties. You put on the selected album on at the same time on the same day. If you then go on twitter someone from that band tweets stories around the making of that album. Here’s a list of all those listening parties with dates.

https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/