Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

22 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Great stuff HIWEM. I take it the last track provided your nom de forum? The Fall are a band I've been meaning to check out when I've got time ... oh ...

The Good Captain is just a total enigma. Someone said how they put Trout Mask Replica on the player & gave up after a few minutes, tried it again out of curiosity months later, gave up, tried again later, tried again ... now they can't do without it.  The other Cannes track is prob my favourite 

I saw The Fall around 100 times, between 1984 and 2017, so yes, that's where I chose my username 🙂

I never saw Beefheart, I was just a few years too young, but I did get to see The Magic Band reunions in the early 2000´s, which were fantastic. I thought John "Drumbo" French did a great job on vocals

Help! I'm starting to run an aural deficit. Loved your latest selections sonyc & mostly new to me (apart from The Kinks & Carole King); the Beach Boys track was sooo beautiful, must have heard it before but I'd forgotten it. keep 'em comin'!

Such fantastic stuff tonight. I've enjoyed them all. Loved that Debussy and just forgot how good that PIL track was. Nantucket Sleigh to look for more tomorrow, amazing. Cyber...how mad was that. Purdah lovely too. So much music.

Think tomorrow night will be a themed one from me ... the Seventies 👖

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

That wouldn't be out of place in most of John Hughes' films.👍

On 02/04/2020 at 22:35, sonyc said:

Okay...leaving these tonight for tomorrow. More rock/pop and I could have picked so may examples but limiting myself to just one from each...

1. From the 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus ... Spirit, 1970. Could have chosen any of the 12, they're that good. Has to be in my top 10 album list. Ahead of their time.

2. Early Carole King. Class. The album "Everything's been said" is uniformly strong. 

3. Again, I could choose maybe 50 Rundgren tracks (Keelansgrandad is fan) so I picked a very recent one of the 70 year old (at the time). Todd was the soundtrack of my youth.

4. Love John Watts guitar (biggest influence when I played). This 80s vibe might now seem dated (with cold war theme too) but I love the interplay of guitars and his taut voice. Still going is the old fella (big in Netherlands/Germany/Belgium)

Love this thread btw. It's just the antidote to what's happening.

I saw Todd Rundgren at Knebworth in 1976. Along with Lynrd Skyrnd and the Stones. Todd was the highlight for me. 10CC were good as well. A wonderful day 

I've come to this thread a bit late but it's great reading. I love The Birds and The Band, Gene Clark and lots of stuff from that era. I've been listening to Jason Isbell who won awards for the album Something More Than Free. 

https://g.co/kgs/M5V78M

I also love the music of Ryan Adams. A disgusting man but a brilliant musician and lyricist 

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02uKYNQDS2KrPOU2xi85ymj8v0vtg:1585989079022&q=Ryan+Adams+Gold&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLUz9U3MDQzLzNR4gIxU4osTasqtcSzk630c0uLM5P1E4tKMotLrBJzkkpzixex8gdVJuYpOKYk5hYruOfnpOxgZQQAXIMsBkcAAAA&sa=X&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=2ahUKEwjw2a_drc7oAhUSY8AKHZoCCdMQ9OUBMAN6BAgJEAk&sxsrf=ALeKk02uKYNQDS2KrPOU2xi85ymj8v0vtg:1585989079022&biw=360&bih=612&dpr=2

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Listening to Embrace relentlessly at the moment. Phenomenal live too. Good Will Out is arguably one of the strongest debut albums ever.

I saw Todd Rundgren at Knebworth in 1976. Along with Lynrd Skyrnd and the Stones. Todd was the highlight for me. 10CC were good as well. A wonderful day 

I missed that one Dylan but I was at the 1978 Knebworth event. Still have the T shirt!

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've come to this thread a bit late but it's great reading. I love The Birds and The Band, Gene Clark and lots of stuff from that era. I've been listening to Jason Isbell who won awards for the album Something More Than Free. 

https://g.co/kgs/M5V78M

I also love the music of Ryan Adams. A disgusting man but a brilliant musician and lyricist 

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02uKYNQDS2KrPOU2xi85ymj8v0vtg:1585989079022&q=Ryan+Adams+Gold&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLUz9U3MDQzLzNR4gIxU4osTasqtcSzk630c0uLM5P1E4tKMotLrBJzkkpzixex8gdVJuYpOKYk5hYruOfnpOxgZQQAXIMsBkcAAAA&sa=X&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=2ahUKEwjw2a_drc7oAhUSY8AKHZoCCdMQ9OUBMAN6BAgJEAk&sxsrf=ALeKk02uKYNQDS2KrPOU2xi85ymj8v0vtg:1585989079022&biw=360&bih=612&dpr=2

I looked up to see what made Ryan Adams a "disgusting man". Oh!! OH!!  Not pleasant at all.

This did meke me laugh though;

At a concert in October 2002, at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium, someone in the audience yelled out a request for "Summer of '69", a hit by the similarly-named Bryan Adams. Ryan reacted with a stream of expletives, and ordered the house lights turned on........😀

• Like 1

This started my adoration for Todd Rundgren. Not the same as the album version but such a well written song and the beginnings of Utopia. Only Kasim Sulton missing. And a couple of years later, the Hermit of Mink Hollow just completely left me speechless (what do you mean, impossible) and I played it until the groove went through to the other side.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Keelan. Never seen that. Incredible he just taught himself to play keyboards by just 'feeling' his way around it. Same for his drumming, bass playing and saxophone.

I love listening to his thoughts on life too (quite a few interviews online). 

Here's a Motown puzzle for you...

This track was released on a Motown compilation in 2002, It's called 'Lead Me And Guide Me' by Holland and Dozier, recorded I think in 1963.

Now, this track is actually called I've Got A Right To Cry, and it has been speculated it was written (and probably produced) by Holland and Dozier - they certainly didn't sing it. Then the fun really starts! Motown have stated that it's LaBrenda Ben singing, although Motown aficionados have stated they think it's a lady called Gloria Jean Williamson...

Answers on a postcard!

Anyhow, it's a great track and, I would guess at the time this was recorded Motown were fighting against Phil Spector's 'Wall Of Sound', which results - I think - in a Phil Spector sounding arrangement. See what you think...

• Like 1

A 1970s fiesta for this evening. 

Van Der Graaf...my first gig to see a band... deaf for an hour after

Tom Verlaine...enigmatic 

Caravan...love this clip

Steely Dan..."at the grotto with the greasy chair sits the Charlie with the lotion and the kinky hair" and a guitar solo simulating a couple (filter prevents)

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

Good stuff lads👍 Television's Marquee Moon took me an age to get into but once it clicked it turned into on of my favourites.

First of all i give you the inimitable, the incomparable, Mr. ian Dury. These are my people, people. Please pay close attention to the last line.

Secondly something I've only just found. It's beautiful & unmistakable as to the composer.

Thirdly an old John peel favourite. I feel enormous affection for this guy. So sweetly naive - but was he? He got played a lot.

Fourth starts & ends with a big fat overdose of brass - amazing! The composer was chasing a woman 40 years younger than himself in his 70s. Whaddaguy. 

• Like 3

sonyc  Steely Dan WOW I bought the album The Royal Scam just for the track Haitian Divorce. One of my fave bands, Gaucho is such a stunning album.

20 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

RO, You Wear It Well is by far my favourite Rod track. I never tire of hearing this, such a cool track, it sounds effortless.

Yeah, Rod the Mod was fab. I dunno how, but somehow the ageing ugly tart plastered in makeup look really worked for him. Every Picture Tells a Story prob my favourite - or maybe this one

• Like 1

Out of interest does anyone here go to any of the Motown/ soul nights in the city when they’re on ? I know there are plenty of soulies with season tickets, just wondered if any of them post on here.

I was looking at the year I was born, 1971, and boy, what a year. I'll put up 4 of my favourites, but I could fill the next few pages.

• Like 1

SonyC. I love you. Caravan. The Canterbury boys who if I could do it all over again I would do it all over you! Seen them so many times in the early days and sat mesmerised at the Gala. Obviously darlings of the varsity circuit in their time so little if no chart success to advertise to the great unwashed.

Permit me to post their greatest song IMO

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Out of interest does anyone here go to any of the Motown/ soul nights in the city when they’re on ? I know there are plenty of soulies with season tickets, just wondered if any of them post on here.

I've never been to one, although there appear to be several to choose from. I could probably do a decent Motown/Northern Soul night, but there is just one problem...it wouldn't be using vinyl. And that is the thing, all of these nights are vinyl based.

A Motown /Northern Soul gem...

A 1980s palette this evening:

Go Betweens. This one introduced for me by John Peel. Lindy Morrison the drummer produces such a tight performance and adds in a beat (5/4 timing?) in the half chorus which is unusual but makes this song

Stranglers. That Cornwall voice ... half speaking over this melodic song

Siouxsie and the Banshees, 1981. At their shimmering best.

Robert Wyatt, his aching voice always makes me really feel inside this song and it's moving. I believe it's a better version than Elvis Costello's

I will post later on about tracks uploaded before by other posters. I'm still listening again and have so many new things now to go to, thanks everyone.

Edited by sonyc

For your delectation tonight ...

Ist up pushes a song to its limit & beyond. Verging on certifiable.

2nd is a composer most people only know for one work. Think Platoon. 

3rd: did you know they wrote one of The Four Tops biggest hits? This one is ethereally romantic (might be useful to know if you fancy a ballerina)

4th VW setting Bill to music. If you can think of a better combo I'd like to hear it.

I intend to hunker down and listen to all these songs. In the meantime, not Nordic Noir TV but a Nordic song, chanelling Lord Byron!

---

And while French pop music is the worst in the world, French chanson is one of the great popular art forms: