Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

This came up on Radio 3 this morning. I always forget how gorgeous it is. You need time to submerge yourself in it. Truly Ravishing Ravel:

Just finished my 10 items of ironing and listening to the two tracks that the Psychedelic Furs have released in advance of their first new album in almost 30 years. The latest is called "You'll be Mine" and to say YouTube has suggested it as a new thing to watch/listen to is astonishing such is the distopian nature of the song. But I love it. Taken me back to 1979 period right up to about 1985. I wonder though if there any Furs fans on the Pinkun board! ....hence my enthusiasm is like me simply pi**ing into the wind.

Went to see Embrace in Leeds last night - playing songs from The good will out, and Out of nothing.

1) FirstDirect Arena in Leeds is a cracking venue. Really top class place to watch live music.

2) Embrace are unbelievably good live. Last night was comfortably the best gig I've ever been to and I've been to a fair few. Knocked Liam Gallagher's Manchester homecoming gig into second spot on my all time list.

Saw Embrace last year in Nottingham but it was a Tuesday night - they were brilliant but obviously people had work next day and weren't drinking as much so atmosphere wasn't that great. Last night they were biblical.

On 15/03/2020 at 18:52, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I'm supposed to be coming to the UK to see Cyber and Hatari in Manchester and Brighton the weekend after next 

I really can't see it happening 😣

"An announcement from HATARI in lieu of Svikamylla ehf. Thanks to the crumbling
of Europe at the hands of CoVid-19, HATARI is forced to reschedule the latter
half of the Europe Will Crumble tour to a later date. We are currently working
on rescheduling the shows for later this year. All tickets will remain valid.
More information will be announced in the near future on the rescheduled shows.

With respect, Hatari & Svikamylla ehf."

No surprise there 

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

"An announcement from HATARI in lieu of Svikamylla ehf. Thanks to the crumbling
of Europe at the hands of CoVid-19, HATARI is forced to reschedule the latter
half of the Europe Will Crumble tour to a later date. We are currently working
on rescheduling the shows for later this year. All tickets will remain valid.
More information will be announced in the near future on the rescheduled shows.

With respect, Hatari & Svikamylla ehf."

No surprise there 

Aye, no gigs or anything of interest for a while. Got a load of emails from cultural sites and they are all shutting from the Tate group, British Museum to the Southbank and Barbican. The last gig for me was a band called Anathema at the London Palladium, the first time I have ever been in there.

On 14/03/2020 at 11:07, ron obvious said:

This came up on Radio 3 this morning. I always forget how gorgeous it is. You need time to submerge yourself in it. Truly Ravishing Ravel:

One of most favourite Ravel pieces is the slow movement in his Concerto in G. The way the piano works its way during the 8 or 9 minutes is beautiful and moving like some kind of sonic (maybe I should say sonyc 😉) waterfall.

I could fill a whole thread with selections of music (of all types) but here's just one choral piece that is worth a listen if only because of the voice of the main singer (Rececca Moon....from c.50 seconds in)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I could fill a whole thread with selections of music (of all types) but here's just one choral piece that is worth a listen if only because of the voice of the main singer (Rececca Moon....from c.50 seconds in)

That's very lovely. Possibly a bit sweet for me? I like a bit more dissonance in my choral pieces. I like a lot of Eric Whitacre's stuff. This knocks my socks off:

22 minutes ago, sonyc said:

One of most favourite Ravel pieces is the slow movement in his Concerto in G. The way the piano works its way during the 8 or 9 minutes is beautiful and moving like some kind of sonic (maybe I should say sonyc 😉) waterfall.

Ravel is the composer most able to make me burst into tears for no reason I can fathom. Bitter, melancholy joy.

Do you know his piano trio in A minor? The opening is so tender, it's like cradling a new born baby in your arms.