Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

On 13/11/2019 at 23:59, ron obvious said:

I don't know what the hell this is (c'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre) ...

Actually I saw her do this live. Sensational doesn't cover it.

I couldn't find a suitable emoji or reaction for this. And there are hundreds to choose from.

A mixture of bonkers, genius and noise.

I adore the power & weirdness of this video. And I don't even like Welsh Male Voice Choirs:

And to restore the gender balance (& increase the weirdness):

12 hours ago, kick it off said:

That's quite cool - Reminds me of Postal Service

Yes I know Postal Service well! Used to listen to this record a sh!t tonne.

I was never a Death Cab fan but liked this stuff.

Ever heard One AM Radio? Quite similar style. This is taking me back!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Not heard one am radio but will check it out. I was same, not a fan of Deathcab except a few songs, but loved posal service's album.

My mate "dragged" me along to see this band. Not sure why he was so keen. Good, honest Aussie punk rock.

On 05/12/2019 at 10:35, BobLoz3 said:

Gave one am radio a listen but not a massive fan - couple of decent tunes but nothing that really grabbed me.

On topic of Postal service - My step-sis got married the other week and walked down the aisle to the Iron and wine version of Such great heights.

Owl City had some inspiration from postal service and did some decent tunes in a similar vein....

Ever get into The Fray?

22 hours ago, kick it off said:

Gave one am radio a listen but not a massive fan - couple of decent tunes but nothing that really grabbed me.

On topic of Postal service - My step-sis got married the other week and walked down the aisle to the Iron and wine version of Such great heights.

Owl City had some inspiration from postal service and did some decent tunes in a similar vein....

Ever get into The Fray?

Was going to ask if you'd heard the Iron & Wine version. That's a great cover! My favourite of his is Jezebel, though. Lovely song. That EP is excellent.

Yeah, must say that I haven't listened to One AM Radio in ages so maybe I was a bit off for your tastes! Have mainly been listening to hip-hop and electronic music these past few years. But recently started cranking out some guitar based tunes.

Bands I like in that vein recently:

PUP, Frog, Joyce Manor, Forth Wanderers, Ought... Then always been a fan of stuff like Broken Social Scene, Destroyer etc.

Nah never heard The Fray. Should I??

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Nah never heard The Fray. Should I??

If you've never heard The Fray you did well to avoid 'How to Save a Life' which was everywhere for awhile and not in a good way.

36 minutes ago, king canary said:

If you've never heard The Fray you did well to avoid 'How to Save a Life' which was everywhere for awhile and not in a good way.

Oh... Them.

Ha! Yeah. Not a fan.

Just now, BobLoz3 said:

Oh... Them.

Ha! Yeah. Not a fan.

To be fair there are quite a few bands who have more beyond their radio-friendly big hit. No idea if the Fray are one of them.

Yeah, of course! I may have avoided them purely because of that!

Like, I'm a huge Modest Mouse fan for some years now, but wasn't particularly into their radio friendly bangers!

On 07/12/2019 at 10:13, Herman said:

My mate "dragged" me along to see this band. Not sure why he was so keen. Good, honest Aussie punk rock.

Pagan are another good Australian band with, ahem, ulterior motives for some guys!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yeah, of course! I may have avoided them purely because of that!

Like, I'm a huge Modest Mouse fan for some years now, but wasn't particularly into their radio friendly bangers!

Modest Mouse's best tune by a long way is "Float on".

RE: The Fray - If you didn't like How to save a life then probably not going to be a fan of their other work either.

Chromeo in a similar kind of vein (although not really a similar sound) to Modest Mouse.

I've got really in to 90s Britpop over the last year or so - Seen Liam G 3 times (including one supported by Richard Ashcroft of the Verve), and Embrace once (playing 'The Good will out' in it's entirety - one of the best gigs I've ever been to and I've been to a fair few). Got tickets for Embrace again in March - Playing songs from 'The Good will out' and 'Out of Nothing' - Really can't wait for that - Saturday night in Leeds (which is pretty much a hometown gig for them).

Never heard of most of the bands you listed - Just listening to Broken Social Scene and I really like it, good shout. If you've not already heard of him - Patrick Wolf has a similar kind of vibe as do Deer Hunter. Think you'd definitely be in for Deer Hunter tbf - not so sure on PW.

14 hours ago, kick it off said:

Modest Mouse's best tune by a long way is "Float on".

RE: The Fray - If you didn't like How to save a life then probably not going to be a fan of their other work either.

Chromeo in a similar kind of vein (although not really a similar sound) to Modest Mouse.

I've got really in to 90s Britpop over the last year or so - Seen Liam G 3 times (including one supported by Richard Ashcroft of the Verve), and Embrace once (playing 'The Good will out' in it's entirety - one of the best gigs I've ever been to and I've been to a fair few). Got tickets for Embrace again in March - Playing songs from 'The Good will out' and 'Out of Nothing' - Really can't wait for that - Saturday night in Leeds (which is pretty much a hometown gig for them).

Never heard of most of the bands you listed - Just listening to Broken Social Scene and I really like it, good shout. If you've not already heard of him - Patrick Wolf has a similar kind of vibe as do Deer Hunter. Think you'd definitely be in for Deer Hunter tbf - not so sure on PW.

See, I don't agree with the MM best track at all! Most of my favourites of theirs are earlier stuff. Tracks like Dramamine from It's a long drive for someone with nothing to think about and Third Planet, The Stars are Projectors etc. from The Moon and Antarctica.

Can't see the Chromeo link myself, although I have seen them live before and enjoyed it.

Glad you like BSS! Great band. Brilliant live and they recently released some new stuff for the first time in ages. Remember Feist (1,2,3,4 and all that?) Well, she was originally in Broken Social Scene. Then there's another band called Stars who featured members from them too. They were pretty great also.

Yep, I know Deer Hunter (not a massive fan) and also have friends who are really into Patrick Wolf. As I said before though, this kinda thing isn't what I listen to all the time but always keeping my ears open for good stuff.

Good to see the BSS collective get a deserved mention. I will add Metric and Emily Haines as other good members of the alumni. 

I don't know if anyone caught it but Soccer a.m. had Sports Team (tune - The Races) on this Saturday. Decent tune and the frontman put on quite a show.  🤣

Apples

On 12/12/2019 at 17:35, Herman said:

What will tonight bring us?

Absolutely brilliant. Love so much of that Kranky/Constellation stuff...

• Thanks 1

Cleaning out the loft today and found a load of old CD's. And my Blue Nile collection. Paul Buchanan not a chap you ask to a party to liven it up but great musician, writer and producer. Great layers of sound were his trademark.

On 14/02/2019 at 21:05, keelansgrandad said:

A little masterpiece from the greatest guitarist of them all, according to Hendrix anyway, the late Terry Kath who also had the voice of a soulful angel

I finally got around to buying this album. A hint of the Chicago they would turn into in a few songs, but the album gets better and rockier as it goes on, finishing with that great track. A brilliant version of I'm A Man on there as well.