Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Got the 'Tiny Changes' album of Frightened Rabbit covers yesterday, really amazing piece of work.

Gutted I only discovered the band when it was too late to see them live.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

The new National album is Sue Perb.

Agreed. The additional of some female vocals has made a real change to their sound.

I've been listening to all sorts of insane stuff...

Madlib & Freddie Gibbs- Bandana (new album from these two collaborators...decent)

Ithaca- The Language of Injury- Metal-core done properly

The Callous Daoboys- Die on Mars- Again, frantic heavy music. I've had a bit of a penchant for this as of late. Don't know why! Harking back to the old days I guess.

Etuk Ubong- Tales of Life (2017 record, very good, jazzy afrobeat kinda stuff)

Bonobo- Linked (new single from him and really good)

Prins Thomas- Ambitions (lovely etheral electronic music)

The Roots- Best of The Roots (great mixtape from a while back)

52 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Great band! Saw them at an ATP in 2006.

They were ace! Favourite record... Chutes Too Narrow

• Like 1

6 hours ago, king canary said:

Got the 'Tiny Changes' album of Frightened Rabbit covers yesterday, really amazing piece of work.

Gutted I only discovered the band when it was too late to see them live.

Did Frank Turner contribute to this? Used to know him back in da day and I know he was great pals with Scott Hutchinson.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I quite like the Shins but read an amusing story that one of them is suing a stripper as she has the same name as his daughter and he's trying to launch a lifestyle brand based on her name. Put me off them somewhat!

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Did Frank Turner contribute to this? Used to know him back in da day and I know he was great pals with Scott Hutchinson.

He's not on this album, although I believe he's done a cover of 'The Modern Leper' for something else.

This has Daughter, Manchester Orchestra, Aaron Dessner, Twighlight Sad etc etc. 

14 hours ago, king canary said:

I quite like the Shins but read an amusing story that one of them is suing a stripper as she has the same name as his daughter and he's trying to launch a lifestyle brand based on her name. Put me off them somewhat!

For real?? That's bonkers if true! 😂

On 05/07/2019 at 19:18, keelansgrandad said:

Just dug this one out this evening, My favourite version,

Prefer the Aeroplane album version personally. Not a fan of extended guitar solos 🙁

My fave version of Somebody To Love is the live one though (Grace Slick & The Great Society)

Currently just listened to Dido's Lament (Emma Kirkby version - understated & plangent) & Hear My Prayer O lord (Voices8 version). Sobbed my heart out as usual.

On 19/02/2019 at 20:46, Herman said:

Electronica-Rock-Jazz.

Brilliant band! Saw them at the Arts Centre a while back.

My friends are in a band called Mammal Hands. Check them out too, if you haven't heard them before. Absolutely brilliant!

• Thanks 1

In terms of solid music that perhaps people won't know... here's a few...

Firstly the Kilians, this is easily my favourite song of theirs - they have a very Stereophonics sounding vocalist, but maybe a tad more crunch in their music. You would not think they were German!

Secondly, Snow Patrol's lead singer (Gary Lightbody) broke into a new project with a more country sound. This is probably their least out-and-out country song as its not really my thing but I really like this cross-mix between soft rock/ alternative and country.

Lastly, this one has only amassed 1k more views since I first watched the youtube video about 8 -  10 years ago... Got to credit my dad for finding this one - lovely song and not sure why it hasn't got a bit more circulation!

This one is stuck in my head, even when I'm asleep. Checked the name but they are from Northumberland not Norwich.

Playing Cornwall later in the year so hopefully get to see them. Call me tight but I do refuse to pay ridiculous prices to see bands and sometimes there are six bands on a day festival and you only want to see one.

• Like 1

Some good tips today lads. I especially like The Kilians track. Has an early Strokes vibe.👍

The Icelandics don't stick to simple verse-chorus-verse songs👍. Like the Mammut track.

I agreed to go to a gig with a mate without checking them out. They make Hatari sound like One Direction.

https://youtu.be/NEuHGoIPRJ4

Secondly, Snow Patrol's lead singer (Gary Lightbody) broke into a new project with a more country sound. This is probably their least out-and-out country song as its not really my thing but I really like this cross-mix between soft rock/ alternative and country.

I have started listening to a lot more Country Rock. Bands like Nathaniel Rateliff, Whisky Myers and Chris Stapleton. These guys are carrying on from Neil Young, Byrds, Lynryd Skynyrd etc.

On 21/07/2019 at 16:55, Herman said:

The Icelandics don't stick to simple verse-chorus-verse songs👍. Like the Mammut track.

I agreed to go to a gig with a mate without checking them out. They make Hatari sound like One Direction.

https://youtu.be/NEuHGoIPRJ4

I enjoyed that up to a point, couldn´t quite go the whole 6 minutes though!

On 22/07/2019 at 20:59, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I enjoyed that up to a point, couldn´t quite go the whole 6 minutes though!

The heaviest band I have ever seen or heard. Not terrible, looked the part on stage but mercifully only a half hour set. 😀

Saw Daddy Long Legs tonight, cut back blues, worth a listen if you like that sort of thing.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

Just been to a festival up here with a few legends playing; Lee "Scratch" Perry (amazing for a guy in his 80s), The Skids, The Vaselines and Dr John Cooper Clarke being the highlights. 👍

Apples

14 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Just been to a festival up here with a few legends playing; Lee "Scratch" Perry (amazing for a guy in his 80s), The Skids, The Vaselines and Dr John Cooper Clarke being the highlights. 👍

Apples

Johnny Claaaaarke!

A few years ago had a very long, very drunk conversation with him at a friend's party (near Colchester). Can't remember much about it only that he was a lovely fellah. Love this one

• Like 1