Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Went to see Jesus Jones at the Bull & Gate in Kentish Town last night. Strange gig, they payed their first album all the way through then did a few other songs as an encore. Didn''t seem to have rehearsed much and didn''t play their most sucessful record, but it was still good to see a reasonably famous band playing such a small venue-much smaller than I remembered it being.

Savages.

Getting a lot of hype and deserved for once. Post-punk, gothy and a nod to Siouxsie. Well, the singing anyway. Worth checking out.

"Wings of a Sparrow"A bit of Patti Smith delivery in there too?

Yeah, I can hear it now. Luckily she hasn''t Patti''s moustache.

Wazzy, would love a browse of your record collection. (Particularly the punk/new wave section).

Anyway come Wednesday I will mostly be listening to MUSE at the Ricoh Arena.

Strange support acts in Bastille and Dizzee Rascal while Europe get Biffy Clyro. What''s that all about?

Just about to give the new Vampire Weekend album a spin. Also if you like acoustic stuff then The Tallest Man on Earth and Benjamin Francis Leftwich are very good.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]A bit of Patti Smith delivery in there too?[/quote]

''Free Money'' is a great song. (was gonna say I love free money...but don''t we all)

Just my ticket to see Babyshambles at UEA on the 16th Sept. Hopefully the place has improved their sound system :/ 

Steve Reich - Drumming.

For any artist, writer, daydreamer, yogist or meditator. Marvellous.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Wazzy, would love a browse of your record collection. (Particularly the punk/new wave section). Anyway come Wednesday I will mostly be listening to MUSE at the Ricoh Arena. Strange support acts in Bastille and Dizzee Rascal while Europe get Biffy Clyro. What''s that all about?[/quote]

It would probably disappoint you !!!

I have about 4500 singles from the 50s to 1980. Mainly 70s and predominantly commercial stuff (I DJed from about 74-79 - still in my teens [:$]).

I do have some odd stuff and some more valuable stuff too, but the vast majority is bog standard. I still have an interest in vinyl and buy and sell some. Since I finished DJing my interest has grown to areas of music I don''t know or was too young to appreciate - I now have a bulging CD collection. Three years ago I was recruited to be ''Dr Vinyl'' on David Whiteley''s Saturday morning show on BBC Radio Norfolk, and then encouraged to write in ''Let''s Talk'' every month (about music!). This has now reignited my passion for it and I bought myself a nice new stereo disco (which I am now touting for work for, and doing the ''Weddings and party'' things!

If the vinyl ever makes an appearance I''ll PM you!

Yes I''ve heard you on a Saturday!

There''s something very tactile about the feel of a vinyl record as you carefully remove it from it''s sleeve while trying to grip it by it''s edges and not touch the playing surface.

Several albums that I owned and subsequently replaced with CD (I still have the vinyl) were sometimes a bit of a disappointment. I would know where every click and buzz was and missed getting up to flip it over and play the second side.

I inherited my brother''s sixties record collection: The Who, Small Faces, Beatles, Dave Clark, Dusty, Petula etc, etc (not many Stones for some reason) sadly it went missing during a house move. Still at least it got me into decent music.

I''ve got a few (rare at the time, but seem readily available now) punk rarities in Siouxsie,The Buzzcocks, Pistols etc in various gatefold versions, pic sleeves and cololured vinyl (latterly).

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Yes I''ve heard you on a Saturday! There''s something very tactile about the feel of a vinyl record as you carefully remove it from it''s sleeve while trying to grip it by it''s edges and not touch the playing surface. Several albums that I owned and subsequently replaced with CD (I still have the vinyl) were sometimes a bit of a disappointment. I would know where every click and buzz was and missed getting up to flip it over and play the second side. I inherited my brother''s sixties record collection: The Who, Small Faces, Beatles, Dave Clark, Dusty, Petula etc, etc (not many Stones for some reason) sadly it went missing during a house move. Still at least it got me into decent music. I''ve got a few (rare at the time, but seem readily available now) punk rarities in Siouxsie,The Buzzcocks, Pistols etc in various gatefold versions, pic sleeves and cololured vinyl (latterly).[/quote]

You certainly have some cracking music there, as I think Dusty Springfield is terribly underrated, she had a stunning voice. I Can''t Explain by The Who is one of my very fav singles.

Not too long back I bought a lot of LP''s via a friend for £30. Once I had looked through it I found the first five albums by The Rolling Stones. A very good friend of mine wanted them so I let him have them.

Just been to see Patti Smith. Scatty, mistake strewn but absolutely brilliant. Wasn''t overly looking forward to it but was blown away. Voice is still great and she has a sense of fun I wasn''t expecting. Money well spent.

if you go on the nme website wings, they''ve got the new babyshambles album ''sequel to the prequel'' streamed on there. I think it''s in shops on the 2nd Sept. Personally think its great, better than their last and gives me a bit of hope for new music