Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

The entire list was a little bit weird!

It''s a good song, but not the best in the past decade!

The top ten was a bit disappointing,but then these polls normally are. I think the one song per band rule distorted the results,but then I suppose it stopped one or two bands hogging it. Swings and roundabout....

Good listening though overall.

Iron Maiden on radio2!!Wasn''t expecting that first thing in the morning.

I quite like this at the moment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_iWolgTR9o&list=LLW8TLKDaM6aWqbGgzdp0P9g

Saying that, after seeing the rest of the line up, quite glad I didn''t get tickets.

Record it and spend the money on a trip somewhere warm. And not in a tent.

The Great Summit by the Duke and Satchmo. Bring a smile to even non-jazz fan''s faces. Class.

Me and the wife had a nice afternoon/evening yesterday listening to vinyl-Graham Parker''s Stick To Me, Memorabilia by Soft Cell, The Clash''s first album, Closer by Joy Division, a couple of Smiths'' 12 inches and then Hatful Of Hollow. Put me in a great mood, which was ruined by the 1st e-mail I read when I got into work this morning!

I''m doing 60''s (and early 70''s) soul right now, music from Chess, Stax and early Motown - don''t know if it will end up as a magazine piece or just a 2 or 3 hour playlist for my disco!

Anyhow...

''Soulful Dress'' by Sugar Pie DeSanto

''In The Basement'' by Etta James and Sugar Pie DeSanto

''Wang Dang Doodle'' - Koko Taylor

''That''s What Love Will Make You Do'' - Little Milton

''Mr Big Stuff'' - Jean Knight

Amongst others!!!

I love any song with a damned good bass line and a lovely infectious rhythm to it. I heard Sympathy for the Devil (Stones) on the radio today and it reminded me what an underrated bass player Bill Wyman is. That song has a brilliant bass line and, of course, the percussion is spot on.

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"]

I love any song with a damned good bass line and a lovely infectious rhythm to it. I heard Sympathy for the Devil (Stones) on the radio today and it reminded me what an underrated bass player Bill Wyman is. That song has a brilliant bass line and, of course, the percussion is spot on.

[/quote]

It may not have been Wyman on bass on this song. My research suggests either Keith Richards or some uncredited session man played the bass.

After this I hope the SGs are not going to make a comeback.[:D] Some of the prices are surprising.

Albums by the Spice Girls and the Now That''s What I Call Music compilations are among the unlikely releases which are now prized by enthusiasts.

Record Collector magazine said discs by the likes of Keane, Blur and Abba are also selling for high prices - sometimes hundreds of pounds.

Enthusiasts often spend a fortune on rare acetate copies, music by cult performers or vinyl versions.

The magazine''s biannual list of the UK''s rarest records now highlights mainstream acts and run-of-the-mill albums or singles which can fetch a decent price.

They include releases such as the long-running Now That''s What I Call Music albums, featuring various artists.

Number 35 in the series, which was released in 1997, can command £80, mainly because at the time of its release few people were buying vinyl copies and it is now scarce.

Conversely, a CD version of Now 4, which was released in 1984, is valued at £200, because at that time the CD was a novelty.

Also on the list is the Spice Girls'' second album Spiceworld, with original vinyl copies fetching around £30 - mainly because the vast majority of sales were on CD.

Other acts on the list include Girls Aloud, for a 12" version of Long Hot Summer, valued at £20, and Dido for a vinyl version of her Life For Rent LP, costing £40.

Higher prices are commanded by the likes of Coldplay''s 12" single Don''t Panic - of which very few were pressed because record label Parlophone decided to concentrate on CD versions.

And a 7" copy of Abba''s Voulez Vous/Angel Eyes dating from 1979 on red or yellow vinyl may go for £400.

Other big prices include Keane''s Hopes And Fears, which can make £80 as only 1,000 numbered copies were released on vinyl.

Duran Duran''s Lay Lady Lay/Ordinary World/White Lines can fetch £150 as it was released in Italy with only some 12" copies making it to the UK.

Baggy Trousers by Madness can sell for £75 as most copies of the single had the incorrect songwriting credit and it was changed, removing the name of M Barson, only as the release drifted out of the chart.

The correct copies are the valuable ones.

Blur''s The Great Escape LP box set can make the owner £70 as just 2,000 copies of this version were made, even though the band were at the height of their success.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]I wonder what my acetate of ''I Can Hear Music'' by Larry Lurex is worth?  [^o)][/quote]

Its up for sale for £650 on eBay, getting it is another thing.

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]

[quote user="First Wazzock"]I wonder what my acetate of ''I Can Hear Music'' by Larry Lurex is worth?  [^o)][/quote]

Its up for sale for £650 on eBay, getting it is another thing.

[/quote]

But that''s an ''Advance Promotion Copy'' - with no photo!!!

Mine is a white label Trident Studios hand written copy. I''ve turned down £1200 for it so far!

[quote user="Herman "]How much for a signed copy of Iron Maiden''s Soundhouse Tapes?[/quote]

Rare Record Price Guide says for The Soundhouse Tapes - and I quote - (EP, pic sleeve; Matrix ROK-1A EG SA LYN 7627-1T / ROK-1B EG SA LYN 7628-1T, Counterfeits have slightly glossier sleeves. Any with different Pic sleeves and colour vinyl are also counterfeits) £150.

Do bear in mind this is the dealers top price for a mint condition copy. If you as ''the man in the street'' were to sell the same you''d be looking at a third to a half of that price. As it''s signed it should increase the value but who knows what by!

Got it when I was a teenager so it isn''t mint. I''ll keep it until I am desperate for money.

I can''t remember what band it was but an album cover had sandpaper on it to deliberately knacker up other album covers. Amusing and annoying but now worth a few quid itself.