Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Early Rod Stewart.Just checked ... unplayed for a while.If it includes Gasoline Alley, Only a Hobo, Country Comfort, that is a fiver well spent.The vinyl I am presently looking at is "The Vintage years 69-70 " (Double) @£3.99 .ChristopherE

Interesting few lines about using music for video, sometimes you only need a few notes for transition moments.But for old soundless cine you need a bit more, I used The Cinematic Orchestra some years ago to fill out an old cine from 1957 of Das Island. I had previously tried to make my own by music maker programmes but I was useless!So I do see the point that I had acted unfairly to the performers, even though I had bought the music on CD.Trouble is that I also used 30 seconds of Mercedez-Benz from Janis Joplin. I ended up posting on youtube.For ages there was no trouble but suddenly music companies put their foot down. Against a complaint from Sony there seemed a sensible option.... delete. A bit annoying, as it seemed zillionswere infringing copyright. (Never had a problem with U2)....Einaudi "Le Onde is also good for a few notes.Again  (for home viewing only). The music from "The Piano", Michael Nyman, has some great short video moments.Buy the music as he is a neighbour of mine!ce

Cheers guys.I was listening to Robert Elms going on about him,and the Faces connection tempted me[Y]

Every Picture Tells A Story.

[quote user="ChristopherE"]Early Rod Stewart.Just checked ... unplayed for a while.If it includes Gasoline Alley, Only a Hobo, Country Comfort, that is a fiver well spent.The vinyl I am presently looking at is "The Vintage years 69-70 " (Double) @£3.99 .ChristopherE[/quote]Weeks money back then....when I was a wee Saturday lad....Tesco tearaway days.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e2/James_Beck-1973.png/200px-James_Beck-1973.png Made a nice little earner during the sugar shortage£££££YouTube - Jeff Beck - You Shook Me

Herman. You''ll be happy with that one too.Includes "Reason to Believe" by Tim hardin. "Mandolin Wind". & Maggie May. £5.00  you say.... My kids are going to be rich when I finally reach "The Departure Gate"My copy was reduced from £2.40 to £2.10 The internal sleeve has turned brown with age.But no scratches!.ce

[quote user="Marty"]Graham, I found 2 Lush albums recently whilst sorting through a box of old cd''s that was in the loft, maybe I should give them a whirl.[/quote]Somehow missed this post!  That''s a nice find - what ones did you have?  If you''ve got Spooky and Split then I definitely recommend giving them a whirl.

Well Graham I seem to have put them back in the box and then in the

loft! I know one was spooky. Next time i''m up there i''ll get them out,

I just have too many cd''s lying around all over the place at the

moment, I am trying to have a bit of a cull.As for me, the

White Lies albums seems good also listening to Thomas Dolby, a most

under-rated 80''s electronic musician. One of my favourite albums that I

stuck on my iPod during my 10 mile run at the weekend was Frames by

Oceansize, how they are not better know i''ll never know.

[quote user="Marty"]Well Graham I seem to have put them back in the box and then in the

loft! I know one was spooky.[/quote]Well here''s some of their videos if anyone''s memory needs jogging, or anyone else who missed them first time round would like to take a look:For Love | Superblast! | De-Luxe | Nothing Natural | Hypocrite | Desire LinesWouldn''t bother with their third album Lovelife though as it''s a really crap Britpop cash-in.  Other than that I think they''re a very under-rated band and put out a lot of really good songs in their time.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Marty"]Well Graham I seem to have put them back in the box and then in the

loft! I know one was spooky.[/quote]Well here''s some of their videos if anyone''s memory needs jogging, or anyone else who missed them first time round would like to take a look:For Love | Superblast! | De-Luxe | Nothing Natural | Hypocrite | Desire LinesWouldn''t bother with their third album Lovelife though as it''s a really crap Britpop cash-in.  Other than that I think they''re a very under-rated band and put out a lot of really good songs in their time.[/quote]I''ll have a listen at home tonight. I guess back then I was in to the "shoe gazing" music, Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Chapterhouse, Sugar, Cocteux Twins, Swervedriver and others. There was some good stuff around that time.  

Marty, you have just given me a slight trouser tent reading those names ;-) Saw all those bands live and have to say i`ve seen little to match them since as a live experience. Slowdive at the arts centre and cocteau twins at the uea probably my best ever gigs. Lush were good live too and i wouldn`t be surprised to see them tour again at some point.

I love Ride - Nowhere, it is a classic, porbably my most played cd of the early 90''s. I even had the t-shirt of the cover art in both white and black.

Just listened to some of the Lush songs, wow, De-Luxe really takes me back, now I remember how fit the lead singer was.

Great memories.

Oh, another way underrated band from that time was the Telescopes. Fair bit of their stuff on youtube now so i recommend checking them out.

Can''t remember what it''s called by I have a cd single by the Telescopes. Just you-tubed them and found a couple of other gems from that era....

The Paris Angels - perfume followed by Northside - shall we take a trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-iUiIL1oLI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AShsOgwCG0

now listening to Neds Atomic Dustbin.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Anyone know any good Ska bands that are worth a listen to?[/quote]Stay the heck away from third wave Ska is my first piece of advice on that one. I''ve tolerated a ''Reel Big Fish'' song all the way through before, but that is truly the highest compliment i can pay it.Quick background lesson; first of all (this is only going by my interpretation of what i''ve read) you need to be aware that their were three waves of Ska, each wave forming as a beacon in each stage of the genre''s periodic progression in the social environments it impacted upon. The first wave was of course the origins, where it found it''s basis in Jamaica, pre-empting genre''s like Reggae and Dub. The second wave was when it hit the shores of England, and as a genre born out of suffering itself; in the heyday of 80''s Conservatives rule, there was of course a degree of mutual empathy between the two cultures, amid social deprivation, as communities integrated motivated by unity in such circumstances. This particular wave is also known for the birth of the ''Skinhead'', while it quickly became embraced by the punk rock scene. The third wave signalled it''s downfall, where it had reached America in the 90''s, and had ultimately succumbed to the demands of what it was created in opposition of in the first place. By this point it had been stripped down, and constructed rather blandly in accordance with what music exec''s believe "the industry wants", in order to see if it, as a genre, could swim in the mainstream (and by my understanding it could barely paddle in those waters; not compatible).

The Specials is the obvious place to start, if not for their originality, their influences are rooted in some of the best music the genre would have to offer. I say The Specials, not because they started it, or even headlined it (although that is debatable), but because they''re a band true to it''s essence whilst integrating the best of what the pacier and heavier second wave in England had to offer, and are consequently easy to branch off for someone starting off listening to Ska. The song "Ghost Town" should ring some bells, for being the song to have pierced the core of the Thatcher reign, galvanising the disenfranchised area''s of society in a way that was only matched by The Smiths.Beyond The Specials, the music can be utterly great, but from experience, i find it to be rather scattered. I think it would be advisable to acquire a ''Best of Ska'' or summary of Trojan Records sort of CD (make sure it''s focused on the earlier waves), work your way from their, see if any of the artists take your fancy, and from that point on you can look at it in further depth.By my reckoning, you''d do well to focus on the first wave initially; some great bands and numbers, like:Derrick MorganThe MaytalsDave & Ansel CollinsThe EthiopiansDesmond DekkerDavid IsaacPrince BusterAnd it''d be ill advisable to evade classics like:The Israelites (by Desmond Dekker)Tom Hark (by The Pirahnhas)54-46 Was My Number, Pressure Drop and Monkey Man (by The Maytals)A Message To You Rudy and Too Much Too Young (by The Specials) Doubel Barrel (by Dave & Ansel Collins)Skinhead Moonstomp (by Symarip)House of Fun, It Must Be Love, Our House, Baggy Trousers and One Step Beyond (by Madness)There''s plenty more, but i''m afraid i''ve got the responsibility of getting up early tomorrow. Hope i''ve helped.

I like third wave ska :P

Reel Big Fish are great. Although, after listening to a lot of Big D and the Kids table, and Streetlight manifesto, its kinda makes them seem a bit less great..... Between the three bands, there is so much repetition in beats, i don''t know how they all released more than 1 album each :P

Thanks for your advice though :D