Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

[quote user="Herman "]

Mr C and John,glad you liked it.I heard it the other day on 6 and thought it was an oldie.First i had heard of Flynn so will check out his album[Y]

[/quote]Written and composed by none other than Johnny Flynn. [Y]Here''s a few more examples, if you''ve got the time Herman:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFCbacVw94Qhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OrmkE2DSB0http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDLgqNNFTkw

Sounds good mate.My laptop doesn''t music justice,so will whack it through my amp tomorrow.

[quote user="Herman "]Sounds good mate.My laptop doesn''t do music justice,so i will whack the album through my amp tomorrow.[/quote]

Well as it is almost 2am  and I am bit fed up with life, I hark back to olden days. Playing Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. Again.Quietly, It seems to soothe things, a bit. There are folk much worse off than I , including dead youngsters.ce

I''ve got to be honest to everyone above, I really can''t get into this so called ''New-Folk''/''Indie-Folk'' scene at all. When I first heard Mumford & Sons before their album came out, I really liked them. They stood out from all the ''Indie-Dance'' tosh we were over-inundated with in 2009. But then they released their album, got extremely over-played almost everywhere, we got over-inundated with ''Indie-Folk'' and Mr. Mumford himself turned into a right c*nt. The exact same thing happened with Florence and the Machine. I must admit though, Laura Marling at Lattitude last year was pretty special.

Anyway, now off to shoot and interview The View! Brilliant band, can''t wait for this. Listen to The View''s cover of ''Don''t Look Back Into the Sun'' on Youtube. I''ll link if I have time. It''s got a lovely drunk Scottish sound to it.

Cheers John and Shack for the tips.Both good albums which i will explore more.A couple of so-so tracks on each album,but the good ones outweigh the bad.Waits'' voice isn''t as grating as i was worried about,and their were a couple of songs that i recognised,(was Clap Hands a cover?).I can also hear his influence in many other bands (Deus esp.)

Flynn has a good mature voice (for someone that looks about 15).Not as pop as Mumford,with a touch of darkness to it.A hint of Beirut,and someone else,but can''t quite put my finger on it.

[quote user="Herman "]

Cheers John and Shack for the tips.Both good albums which i will explore more.A couple of so-so tracks on each album,but the good ones outweigh the bad.Waits'' voice isn''t as grating as i was worried about,and their were a couple of songs that i recognised,(was Clap Hands a cover?).I can also hear his influence in many other bands (Deus esp.)

Flynn has a good mature voice (for someone that looks about 15).Not as pop as Mumford,with a touch of darkness to it.A hint of Beirut,and someone else,but can''t quite put my finger on it.

[/quote]I personally found that first impressions didn''t do the album justice, and, bar a few tracks, it wasn''t until having listened to it a few times over that it really grew on me.I hope you go on to enjoy it as much as i did mate! [:)]

At the moment it''s...

Thirteen Senses - The Invitation

De-Phazz - Godsdog

Eagles - Long Road Out Of Eden

Soulwax - Remixes

That''s what you call a mix!!!

[quote user="Herman "]James Blunts new one.What a cracker![/quote]

Please, never say that again.

Listening to Klaxons debut and recently released second album, ahead of their UEA gig on friday. Can''t wait.

[quote user="Herman "]James Blunts new one.What a cracker![/quote]that is a joke right?

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="Herman "]James Blunts new one.What a cracker![/quote]

that is a joke right?
[/quote]

[Y]Of course.He''s been doing the rounds.So inoffensive it''s offensive.

Well in a political way I play odd stuff.I am a Tory but the left have the best tunes.And I agree with their points from Swift onwards.So I am giving Woody Guthrie a reunion.Not played for many years . Arlo is next.ce

I was just listening to Badge etcbut now Father rapers sittin right there on the bench next to me...haha

Good . Thanks for the links. It is nice to be one step ahead of the daughter''s partner who knows everything,Or at least close behind. My Christmas list has jumped from the basic to fun. Good car music.ce

So,what are people looking forward to in 2011?

Last year was a bit of a dissappointment.Some of my favourite bands brought out ok to average albums (Broken Social Scene etc) but i did ''discover'' some good new/old stuff thanks to some of you,but overall i struggled a bit.

This year i am hoping from something new by Godspeed YBE but other than that i''m going to see what pops up.

New Down album in 2011 is what I''m most looking forward to. Also the Phil Anselmo solo record. Just finally got round to buying Pride and Glory album (First Zakk Wylde album) is immense with Losin'' Your Mind the stand out track.

[quote user="Willmeister"] Just finally got round to buying Pride and Glory album (First Zakk Wylde album) is immense with Losin'' Your Mind the stand out track.[/quote]That is one Sh#t hot album, so many riffs that stand out but my fovorite is "I hate your guts" it always brings a smile.

As much as like Black Label Society, Zakk needs to go back to his Blues stuff. He always says how much of a fan of the Blues he is, a proper Zakk Blues rock album would be awesome.

Anyone aware of a Liverpudlian band called ''The Sand Band''? Only just came across them today, and the few songs of theirs i''ve listened to have interested me.

Has the potential to be rather mellow, if you suspect that''s not your thing they may be worth passing up, but otherwise:All Through The Night

Set Me Free

Just Like AnythingAnd a cover of a song from the band "Broken Social Scene" (one i''m also not familiar with) that i quite enjoyed...Lovers Spit

This report in The Independent draws up similarities between them and The Verve, Calexico, and Neil Young, all of which i''m a big fan of.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-the-sand-band-all-through-the-night-deltasonic-2180079.html

Apparently the lead singer is working with Noel Gallagher on his new album, which i am of course anticipating beyond reason as well.

[Y]Good stuff guys.Liking what i hear.

Many years late but i have just invested in some Joy Division.Dark,but good.Some cracking bass-lines.

Thanks John (again!). Hadn`t heard the Sandband but like it. Just Like Anything is a cover from the last cd i bought- Jackson C Frank, who was a big influence on Nick Drake,Bert Jansch and N.Young. Bit of a patchy album but worth it just for the entrancing "I Am Carnival".