Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

[quote user="pennywise "]

has anyone on here heard the cd `friends of mine` by adam green ?  it is an absolute hidden gem  [:D]

[/quote]

No,but i have one of his album as The Moldy Peaches.Very lo-fi,rude and a bit mad.If it''s anything like that i might check it out[Y]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVgyccBOpEc

[quote user="Delia Out"]That second one is very good [Y][/quote]

Agreed.Not a massive Morrisey fan,but that is a true classic.It brings up great images in my head.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Delia Out"]That second one is very good [Y][/quote]

Agreed.Not a massive Morrisey fan,but that is a true classic.It brings up great images in my head.

[/quote]The combination of "Subway Train" by the New York Dolls blending seamlessly into the main track is genius.[:)]

Haha,that threw me for a few seconds.I was about to moan you had the wrong song title[:$]

[quote user="Delia Out"]That second one is very good [Y][/quote]Good work for having a listen and not just thinking "Ewww, Morrissey, nuts to taht old depressing shite"[Y]

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Herb"]Bizarrely, Squeeze and the Clash today.Bit of a late 70s early 80s thing I have going on at the moment.[/quote]

Here you go.Squeeze live in 1982! Tonight on BBC4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v7xjd

[/quote]For me, the best lyricists / musical genius bands of the last 20 or 30 years are :-Morrissey / SmithsSqueezePaul Weller / The JamIan Dury

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Herb"]Bizarrely, Squeeze and the Clash today.Bit of a late 70s early 80s thing I have going on at the moment.[/quote]

[/quote]For me, the best lyricists / musical genius bands of the last 20 or 30 years are :-Morrissey / SmithsSqueezePaul Weller / The JamIan Dury[/quote]

And all four heavily influenced by Bowie - especially Morrissey and Weller.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]For me, the best lyricists / musical genius bands of the last 20 or 30 years are :-Morrissey / SmithsSqueezePaul Weller / The JamIan Dury[/quote]

And all four heavily influenced by Bowie - especially Morrissey and Weller.[/quote]Theres undiscovered tribes in darkest Africa that knew you''d bring Bowie into this [;)](Don''t worry, I rate him too, though he''s no Morrissey)

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]

And all four heavily influenced by Bowie - especially Morrissey and Weller.[/quote]Theres undiscovered tribes in darkest Africa that knew you''d bring Bowie into this [;)](Don''t worry, I rate him too, though he''s no Morrissey)[/quote]I''m going to take Morty''s side on this i''m afraid. Bowie is a great groundbreaking artist, the influence he commands in the music industry stretches out far and wide, and he''s very effectively derived the influence of many of the other great artists that preceded him into his own songs (so as to put it into context for Shyster that music didn''t start with David Bowie in case he ''may'' of thought otherwise [;)]).... But then of course, he''s no Morrissey.

[quote user="John"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]

And all four heavily influenced by Bowie - especially Morrissey and Weller.[/quote]Theres undiscovered tribes in darkest Africa that knew you''d bring Bowie into this [;)](Don''t worry, I rate him too, though he''s no Morrissey)[/quote]I''m going to take Morty''s side on this i''m afraid. Bowie is a great groundbreaking artist, the influence he commands in the music industry stretches out far and wide, and he''s very effectively derived the influence of many of the other great artists that preceded him into his own songs (so as to put it into context for Shyster that music didn''t start with David Bowie in case he ''may'' of thought otherwise [;)]).... But then of course, he''s no Morrissey.[/quote]

Yes, I realise music didn''t start with Bowie, John, but there''s no denying that he IS the most influential artist of all time.The sight and sound of Morrissey on stage almost caused my first ever walk out (or more accurately, drag out) of a Bowie concert - nothing against Morrissey myself, but it was my wife''s first big concert and it was a hard sell even to get her to go to something like that - her suspicions that it would be some musically inept egomaniac caterwauling over an abominable sound being more or less confirmed by Mozza, she looked at me menacingly and said "If Bowie''s not 100% better than that, we''re leaving, you cu*nt".Ever since then, she insisted we time our arrival so that we don''t have to endure support acts, and the sight of Morrissey is still enough to start her ranting.

Whilst I like Bowie a lot, I wouldn''t go as far as calling him THE most influential artist of all time.

[quote user="Herman "]

Discounting Bowie,what would your other top favourites be?

[/quote]To list a few:BeatlesStonesSyd Barret/FloydSimon & GarfunkleT RexLennonLou ReedIggy PopThe JamVelvet UndergroundThe ClashZappaBucks Fizz [;)]

[quote user="morty"]Whilst I like Bowie a lot, I wouldn''t go as far as calling him THE most influential artist of all time.[/quote]

"I think everyone is influenced by Bowie. ''Low'', which is the first of his Berlin albums, has always been my favourite record, and even more so recently the more I''ve listened to it. I think that slightly experimental edge of that record is in the music that I''m currently making." -- Paul Weller

Now, I''m pretty sure Weller knows more about music than you, morty.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"]Whilst I like Bowie a lot, I wouldn''t go as far as calling him THE most influential artist of all time.[/quote]

"I think everyone is influenced by Bowie. ''Low'', which is the first of his Berlin albums, has always been my favourite record, and even more so recently the more I''ve listened to it. I think that slightly experimental edge of that record is in the music that I''m currently making." -- Paul Weller

Now, I''m pretty sure Weller knows more about music than you, morty.[/quote]Not really, one man''s opinion doesn''t make it right (two if you count yourself also)I don''t think that any one person or band can claim the title of the most influential, most artists would name a whole host of influences, and from a listener''s point of view I would say that the list that you posted above all contributed different things in their own right. And lets face it, Bowie was pretty shite after about the mid 90''s.

Today has been abit of a arty indie day, with Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Horrors in full swing.

To anyone who hasn''t heard it, listen to ''Sheena Is a Parasite'' by The Horros. It''ll blow you away. 2 minutes of pure epic noise.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="John"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]

And all four heavily influenced by Bowie - especially Morrissey and Weller.[/quote]Theres undiscovered tribes in darkest Africa that knew you''d bring Bowie into this [;)](Don''t worry, I rate him too, though he''s no Morrissey)[/quote]I''m going to take Morty''s side on this i''m afraid. Bowie is a great groundbreaking artist, the influence he commands in the music industry stretches out far and wide, and he''s very effectively derived the influence of many of the other great artists that preceded him into his own songs (so as to put it into context for Shyster that music didn''t start with David Bowie in case he ''may'' of thought otherwise [;)]).... But then of course, he''s no Morrissey.[/quote]

Yes, I realise music didn''t start with Bowie, John, but there''s no denying that he IS the most influential artist of all time.The sight and sound of Morrissey on stage almost caused my first ever walk out (or more accurately, drag out) of a Bowie concert - nothing against Morrissey myself, but it was my wife''s first big concert and it was a hard sell even to get her to go to something like that - her suspicions that it would be some musically inept egomaniac caterwauling over an abominable sound being more or less confirmed by Mozza, she looked at me menacingly and said "If Bowie''s not 100% better than that, we''re leaving, you cu*nt".Ever since then, she insisted we time our arrival so that we don''t have to endure support acts, and the sight of Morrissey is still enough to start her ranting.[/quote]1. Haha, no Shyster, David Bowie is not. He''s up there, but he''s not (i should reckon we''re simply going to have to agree to differ on this one, seeing as Bowie is quite obviously the be all and end all in your catalogue of music your in the know of).2. "her suspicions that it would be some musically inept egomaniac

caterwauling over an abominable sound being more or less confirmed by

Mozza" - Wow. Deary me, as a ''memory'' one would of thunk it to be just a little vivid. Unless she wrote that very description to you herself, in black and white, the depth of loathing repugnance in that statement could surely only be conveyed by the protagonist?3. Pardon the intrusion Shyster, but you''re wife has made one tragic decision in trying to avoid supporting acts because of one solitary disappointment, and i certainly hope this has no reflection on your good self. On so many occasions you can find the highlight of the night is the support act. My mother''s boyfriend for one has played in tons of bands in the past, and boasts a berth of knowledge about music of all genre''s i''ve never known anyone else to have, and because of it, the authority he speaks on the subject is matched by a very rare few. I should imagine your take on Bowie, and your wifes take on the ''deplorable'' idea of the "supporting act", makes you exactly the type of people that he, in all fairness, would want burnt at the stake. I''m genuinely sorry to say it, but it all stinks of being way too close minded in a subject that has so much to offer, that your wife, you, me, as well as most, if not all the world, know but only a tiny fraction about in the grand scheme of it all.One example out of the other few others thousands that escape my mind, is that of Arcade Fire as the supporting act to U2 in their 2006 Vertigo tour, and utterly dwarfed Bono and his ''disciples'' on stage. A band David Bowie has not only regularly performed with in the past few years, but has himself dubbed as the best band he''s heard since "YONKS!!!", and one of the many great bands you and your wife would miss out on because of a mere distasteful outing one night so many years ago.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"]Whilst I like Bowie a lot, I wouldn''t go as far as calling him THE most influential artist of all time.[/quote]

Now, I''m pretty sure Weller knows more about music than you, morty.[/quote]Not really, one man''s opinion doesn''t make it right (two if you count yourself also)I don''t think that any one person or band can claim the title of the most influential, most artists would name a whole host of influences, and from a listener''s point of view I would say that the list that you posted above all contributed different things in their own right. And lets face it, Bowie was pretty shite after about the mid 90''s.[/quote]

''Buddha of Suburbia'', ''1 Outside'', ''Earthling'', ''Heathen'' shi*t? - not a patch on his Seventies work, but certainly not shite - it''s his seventies material that is still influencing artists today.The Eighties was his worst period with the dreadful ''Tonight'' and ''Never Let Me Down'' albums, ''though one could still derive a cracking record from singles and selected tracks from that decade.In his own words the eighties were his ''Phil Collins'' years [:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"]Whilst I like Bowie a lot, I wouldn''t go as far as calling him THE most influential artist of all time.[/quote]

Now, I''m pretty sure Weller knows more about music than you, morty.[/quote]Not really, one man''s opinion doesn''t make it right (two if you count yourself also)I don''t think that any one person or band can claim the title of the most influential, most artists would name a whole host of influences, and from a listener''s point of view I would say that the list that you posted above all contributed different things in their own right. And lets face it, Bowie was pretty shite after about the mid 90''s.[/quote]

''Buddha of Suburbia'', ''1 Outside'', ''Earthling'', ''Heathen'' shi*t? - not a patch on his Seventies work, but certainly not shite - it''s his seventies material that is still influencing artists today.The Eighties was his worst period with the dreadful ''Tonight'' and ''Never Let Me Down'' albums, ''though one could still derive a cracking record from singles and selected tracks from that decade.In his own words the eighties were his ''Phil Collins'' years [:D]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"]Whilst I like Bowie a lot, I wouldn''t go as far as calling him THE most influential artist of all time.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Paul Weller is a f*cking c*nt. I absolutely hate him. I love his music, f*cking hate him. Tosser of the highest order. Someone once called him a ''c*nt'' at a gig and he stopped the whole song and said ''Ooohhh, whoever said that get up onstage and I''ll knock you out''. He''s too far up himself for me, way to f*cking far. He pretends he''s up there with the very best in the music business, when actually he''s had 3 records worth noting. I work for NME, and I can''t believe we gave him the ''Godlike Genius'' award. F*ck off.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="John"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]

Yes, I realise music didn''t start with Bowie, John, but there''s no denying that he IS the most influential artist of all time.The sight and sound of Morrissey on stage almost caused my first ever walk out (or more accurately, drag out) of a Bowie concert - nothing against Morrissey myself, but it was my wife''s first big concert and it was a hard sell even to get her to go to something like that - her suspicions that it would be some musically inept egomaniac caterwauling over an abominable sound being more or less confirmed by Mozza, she looked at me menacingly and said "If Bowie''s not 100% better than that, we''re leaving, you cu*nt".Ever since then, she insisted we time our arrival so that we don''t have to endure support acts, and the sight of Morrissey is still enough to start her ranting.[/quote]1. Haha, no Shyster, David Bowie is not. He''s up there, but he''s not (i should reckon we''re simply going to have to agree to differ on this one, seeing as Bowie is quite obviously the be all and end all in your catalogue of music your in the know of).2. "her suspicions that it would be some musically inept egomaniac

Mozza" - Wow. Deary me, as a ''memory'' one would of thunk it to be just a little vivid. Unless she wrote that very description to you herself, in black and white, the depth of loathing repugnance in that statement could surely only be conveyed by the protagonist?3. Pardon the intrusion Shyster, but you''re wife has made one tragic decision in trying to avoid supporting acts because of one solitary disappointment, and i certainly hope this has no reflection on your good self. On so many occasions you can find the highlight of the night is the support act. My mother''s boyfriend for one has played in tons of bands in the past, and boasts a berth of knowledge about music of all genre''s i''ve never known anyone else to have, and because of it, the authority he speaks on the subject is matched by a very rare few. I should imagine your take on Bowie, and your wifes take on the ''deplorable'' idea of the "supporting act", makes you exactly the type of people that he, in all fairness, would want burnt at the stake. I''m genuinely sorry to say it, but it all stinks of being way too close minded in a subject that has so much to offer, that your wife, you, me, as well as most, if not all the world, know but only a tiny fraction about in the grand scheme of it all.One example out of the other few others thousands that escape my mind, is that of Arcade Fire as the supporting act to U2 in their 2006 Vertigo tour, and utterly dwarfed Bono and his ''disciples'' on stage. A band David Bowie has not only regularly performed with in the past few years, but has himself dubbed as the best band he''s heard since "YONKS!!!", and one of the many great bands you and your wife would miss out on because of a mere distasteful outing one night so many years ago.[/quote]

Oh well, that''s it then, end of debate - John''s mums'' boyfriend plays guitar in several second-rate bands making him an authority on all things music.

[quote user="Talk Show Host"]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"]Whilst I like Bowie a lot, I wouldn''t go as far as calling him THE most influential artist of all time.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Paul Weller is a f*cking c*nt. I absolutely hate him. I love his music, f*cking hate him. Tosser of the highest order. Someone once called him a ''c*nt'' at a gig and he stopped the whole song and said ''Ooohhh, whoever said that get up onstage and I''ll knock you out''. He''s too far up himself for me, way to f*cking far. He pretends he''s up there with the very best in the music business, when actually he''s had 3 records worth noting. I work for NME, and I can''t believe we gave him the ''Godlike Genius'' award. F*ck off.

[/quote]

You work for the NME! WTF do you know about music?[:P] Keep it quiet,but i never really got into The Jam.Overplayed by my older brothers.

I''m only a photographer Herman! I get paid to meet my favourite bands and chat and take a few pictures of them. It''s a great life. I''ve only been here for about 4 months so I''ve had no one really of much note other than Klaxons. I mainly do the Radar section of the mag.

Only joking and tbh i haven''t read the NME since the White Stripes first broke.Sounds like a good job though.I have a friend of a friend etc who does the festival circuit,photo wise.I will try and get her website.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="John"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="John"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]

Mozza" - Wow. Deary me, as a ''memory'' one would of thunk it to be just a little vivid. Unless she wrote that very description to you herself, in black and white, the depth of loathing repugnance in that statement could surely only be conveyed by the protagonist?3. Pardon the intrusion Shyster, but you''re wife has made one tragic decision in trying to avoid supporting acts because of one solitary disappointment, and i certainly hope this has no reflection on your good self. On so many occasions you can find the highlight of the night is the support act. My mother''s boyfriend for one has played in tons of bands in the past, and boasts a berth of knowledge about music of all genre''s i''ve never known anyone else to have, and because of it, the authority he speaks on the subject is matched by a very rare few. I should imagine your take on Bowie, and your wifes take on the ''deplorable'' idea of the "supporting act", makes you exactly the type of people that he, in all fairness, would want burnt at the stake. I''m genuinely sorry to say it, but it all stinks of being way too close minded in a subject that has so much to offer, that your wife, you, me, as well as most, if not all the world, know but only a tiny fraction about in the grand scheme of it all.One example out of the other few others thousands that escape my mind, is that of Arcade Fire as the supporting act to U2 in their 2006 Vertigo tour, and utterly dwarfed Bono and his ''disciples'' on stage. A band David Bowie has not only regularly performed with in the past few years, but has himself dubbed as the best band he''s heard since "YONKS!!!", and one of the many great bands you and your wife would miss out on because of a mere distasteful outing one night so many years ago.[/quote]

Oh well, that''s it then, end of debate - John''s mums'' boyfriend plays guitar in several second-rate bands making him an authority on all things music.[/quote]You haven''t quite caught the jist of what i was saying Shyster. It''s more that the impression you give to everyone on here when it comes to music is that your very close minded, and more stubborn in defending what you know than you are in expanding and diversifying your taste and knowledge of music. Thus you making such an enormously contentious and rather firmly put statement is bound to be attacked by many, especially considering that the ground on which you preach the greatness of Bowie is a very thin one, not only because of the brief and tenuous argument you put behind it, but your own ''unique'' approach to music as it is.

Anyway, it''s not just the fact he''s plyed his trade as a ''drummer and singer'' for plenty of bands that don''t field in the mainstream, but that his life revolves around music, and it always has. Records take up approximately 75% percent of the entire mass of our household, without even going into how many LP''s he has placed in storage, he goes to local gigs very regularly, performing or not, and he''s mixed with artists high and low, from The Ramones to The Damned, in the industry in his time. He decides no one''s taste but his own though, of course, but people with that kind of well versed understanding of the industry are those more apt to substantiate such a discussion, and i''d gander not one person of that ilk would dare make as bold a statement as you have, and they''d rather sensibly choose not to do so also.