Sign in to follow this  
Meeky

FAO: Mr Munby ...

I have shamefully nicked this off the official site and thought I would post it here.

I hope the gentleman who posted it gets some answers!

If you really are going to check what is being said on this site then I have some advice for you: check the Wrath of the Barclay as well. But anyway here''s some things that I, as a shareholder and supporter, don''t understand, that perhaps you can explain to me.
1. Transfer policy. I''ve been watching City for longer than you, but I bet you know just as well as me that signing new players is a hit and miss affair. We can all think of signings that looked great on paper - but didn''t work out. And the reason is simple - you simply don''t know how a player will fit in with the new environment, with his new team-mates. Much better, and almost certainly cheaper, to retain the services of players who have done a good job for us, or to develop players through the Academy system whose characters are known, and who know the ethos of the club. The present manager''s transfer policy flies in the face of this. I will give you two examples. Marc Edworthy had proven that he was a more than capable right back at this level. He has been promoted time and again, and played excellently for us in the championship season. Yet in the blinking of an eye he went from being first-choice right back in the premiership, to not being worth even an offer of a contract in the championship. He has been replaced with a player who has never played in the English game, and who thinks of himself as a centre back anyway. That appears to be transfer dealing for the sake of transfer dealing.
Then there is the case of Matty Svensson. Again we know for certain that he could do an excellent job for us - yet the club would not offer him the security of a two-year contract. His replacement? Bizarrely it''s Peter Thorne - actually older than Matty - and, as I outlined above, a gamble as are all transfers. Again this appears to be transfer dealing for the sake of transfer dealing.
2. Playing players out of position. I think the last game we started without at least one player playing out of position was at Crewe. Over the past few months Jonson, Bentley, Stuart, Henderson, Huckerby and now Marney have all been played out of position on the right wing. And, frankly, and unsurprisingly, none of them has starred there. But the manager has no choice in this regard - because despite being more generously supported by the board than any manager in our history, he has failed to sign one genuine right winger. And players have been available. Which colour shirt would you rather have had Kevin Harper in last night? Or Kevin Cooper? Both low-risk transfers, but no attempt was made to sign them. Instead we have a Tottenham reserve playing out of position.
3. Favouritism. There seem to be some players who, no matter how poor their performances, are played week-in week-out. Last season it was Gary Holt. It was transparently clear that he simply was not good enough in the Premiership. Yet in the end the manager told us that Safri (and Helveg) were finally included just so that they wouldn''t moan. And what happened next? This year it''s Craig Fleming. Last year was our worst defensively since 56/7 yet any defensive combination we try has "Fleming" in it. Why? When we won the league that success was built on the rock of the Fleming / Mackay partnership, that was unquestionably greater than the sum of its parts. Selling either was, in my view, a nonsense, but if one or other had to go - why Malky. The team clearly lacks a leader. Malky is a leader. The defense is disorganised. Malky was the organiser. The Charlton / Fleming partnership that the manager tried was lacking in height. Malky is a monster. Charlton is a very similar player to Fleming so on paper a MacKay / Charlton partnership has a lot more logic than Fleming / Charlton. Yet Fleming has started every single game, MacKay got not even one second of time in the Premiershi

Well he''s had the dreaded "vote of confidence" now, I wonder if it came with a copy of this mail. The board appear behind him now so we''ll have to see what the next 4 to 6 games bring. More telling will be if Worthy is given that Â£2mio to spend tomorrow or not ......

Firstly, can i say what a well-written, and well-justified argument you have made.  I never thought i''d say this, but i wholeheartedly agree with all your sentiments.

I watched a documentary about Jose Marinho recently and it was very interesting to see his qualities as a person, coach and student of the game.  Yes, he has all the money in the world at his disposal and yes, Norwich are not Chelsea, but what his example shows is the importance of the manager in any walk of life. 

Nigel, as you rightly say, has done a brilliant job, one that all true fans will be thankful for.  However, his sell-by date has been reached.  I know Francis was a big loss, but apart from him we have the same team as last season.  I recognise that there were serious problems then, but the team gained motivation from the quality of the opposition.  In this division the true talents of a manager are tested.  We won the league two seasons ago because we were an unknown quantity and we gained momentum (the three loan signings obviously helped as well).  This year we have the burden of expectation and i don''t believe this has been managed well.

Nigel comes across as a competely unispiring cliche-uttering bore in the media and i can''t help worrying that he is the same in the dressing room.  ''Togetherness'' is a key phrase that he was fond of, and it is this that is blatantly missing.  We need real insight and a manager who has fresh ideas and the ability to motivate our talented squad.

Huckerby''s sending off is symptomatic of a collapse of respect for the management and the welfare of the team as a whole.  Until someone else is found to retrieve this i fear thing will continue in their current vein.

A fanstically well-written piece and probably the most convincing piece of evidence the Worthy Out brigade have produced so far! I won''t big you up for it though Meeky, cos you didn''t write it...

Seriously though, I must admit I''m starting to have my doubts, but I still think its a little early to be calling for his head. Give it a little more time, I say, and see where we are at the end of September.  We could see an enormous up-turn in our fortunes between now and then and then there will be nowt to complain about other than one horrid month... We never know.

We never know what is around the corner - it is human nature to make knee-jerk reactions, and very easy too, but I think it is something we should avoid for at least another month.

From the home games I''ve seen, and from the sounds of the radio (and I may be wrong due to this second-hand info), Norwich have played reasonably well - certainly not relegation fodder, just not promotion contenders either! On performance I think we should be mid-table, but this just isn''t so.  Is this bad luck, poor shooting, poor defending or poor management?

At this moment in time, I don''t think any of us can say for sure that it is one or the other........

without knowing the identity of the author I cannot congratulate him/her, or otherwise, suffice to say nothing in that long piece is new, or indeed rocket science

last night we were shocking in defence and despite playing nice footie in the first half we didn''t capatilise on it (again).  So we are finding our feet, but how much of a head start do we want to give the others?

I don''t want to be arrogant, but for god''s sake, on paper we should be up there, we have had the chances but there is now something really wrong and something has to happen to change our fortunes and happen fast

if we carry on losing (or not winning) and playing unconvincingly, we are going to have another of those days at Portman Road  .........

if we play there like we did last night worthy will go - he has a couple of matches to get things together, let''s hope he can do it, though i fear he won''t

I am reluctant at present to call for his head, as a constant change of managers hasn''t served us well in the past - but there is only so much we (and that includes the club as a whole) can take.

Here''s my question to Mundby.. Why is it "Unthinkable" to sack Worthington? Surely after no league win in six with eight goals conceded, it''s highly thinkable. The sooner the board stops thinking that the sun shines out of Worthington''s backside, the better.

I agree that it would be a mistake to sack Worthington now as this would be a knee-jerk reaction as you say, but I still would like to know how many supporters feel that we have significantly improved our style and pattern of play since the start of our Championship winning season. We have better players for sure and Worthy (& the board) should be commended for these purchases/loans, but I just cannot see the hugher level of football that I would have expected to see with Huckerby, Marney, Ashton, Safri, Bentley etc.

We relied very heavily on Hucks when we were promoted and he was absolutely breathtaking at times, but all I have seen so far this season is either the same tactic or lumping it forward to the big guy. Hucks HAS lost a yard of pace and Deano scored an awful lot of goals from through passes on the ground when he was with Crewe so why are these the only apparent routes to goal?

The respective boards of Bolton, Middlesborough, Charlton, Birmingham have all stood by their respective managers because there were clear signs of continuous improvement in the quality of the football being played. I really would like to know who believes this to be the case with NCFC over the past two seasons. And if we are NOT progressing then something or someone needs to change.

I wish I could lay claim to writing that particular piece of text as it makes it clear how many of us feel...it''s a mixture of frustration, dispair and even a little bit of anger.

We are as passionate about the Club as the Worthington supporters, it''s just that we question many of his decisions in the light of the subsequent results, which over the last 15 months or so have not been good enough.

There are times when we should practice "just one more time" and times when we should practice "fail fast" and make incisive decisions. That time is right here, right now.