Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

What we NEED is.....

not a new manager but...

...a LEADER on the pitch. We have no one who is grabbing the game by the balls and egging others on.

We must bring someone in- perhaps an old warhorse- who can take command out there when the going gets tough.

Worthy cant do it from the bench and noone in the squad seems to have the required character.

What do you reckon?

I think Worthy knows it too and that''s why he signed Andy Hughes - who was beginning to look like that kind of player................and then got injured!!

[quote]not a new manager but... ...a LEADER on the pitch. We have no one who is grabbing the game by the balls and egging others on. We must bring someone in- perhaps an old warhorse- who can take command...[/quote]

Spot on Vic; I would like to see 2 or 3 leaders who are all bought into a sound tactical approach to the game - 1 shaping the defence, 1 the midfield and one possibly up front.

It worked for the england rugby team at the world cup and was the platfrm for their win, and is desperately missing from our team.

My personal view is that the reason we dont have leaders is that worthy does not appreciate a challenge to his view, which is why he is surrounded by yes men and tactically astute comments from the likes of charlie lead to a ''resting'' couple of games. 

OTBC      

[quote]I think Worthy knows it too and that''s why he signed Andy Hughes - who was beginning to look like that kind of player................and then got injured!![/quote]

hopefully when he gets back, he will be eager to get back in the squad, come on as a sub, fire us back into the lead and win our first match!!!!

unfourtuantly thats highly unlikely.......

but if it did happen, that would shut a few people up and get them off his back, he started to show his class with that ball to ashton.... im pretty sure he can do that every game.

hoepfully we will find out sooner rather than later

It''s bizarre that he hasn''t put Jarrett in yet, unless he''s completely unfit. We need some kind of spine though - someone solid and experienced (with a little more pace and ball-playing ability than Flem) next to Shack and someone to lighten (the so far excellent) Safri''s load a little by getting into the box and picking up that second ball from the strikers (like that bloke Francis used to do). So many times against Leeds the ball came out of their area to the 18 yard line from our crosses, only for none of our players to be near it. For the last two years we had someone to do that - Francis - and if he didn''t score, someone would pick up the rebound. Our entire midfield seem afraid to get anywhere near the box at the moment.

Good point Vic.

The same thing occurred to me when someone mentioned Iwan shouting and firing up the team yesterday.

I can''t remember the last time I saw anything like that really, unless of course you can count Flem screaming abuse at people whenever a goal goes in.

Not sure if that has the same motivational effect though...

I definitely think there''s a lack of communication on the pitch. Not sure if Worthy does realise. After all he named Drury as captain for quite a while and I didn''t see him doing much talking.

[quote]not a new manager but... ...a LEADER on the pitch. We have no one who is grabbing the game by the balls and egging others on. We must bring someone in- perhaps an old warhorse- who can take command...[/quote]

What we need is some help from (ahem!) him upstairs.
You''re the man on that score Vicar, have a word would you?

Those who read Iwan''s book will also know the importance Paul Chrichton played in motivating and keeping high spirits off the pitch.

We seem to lack a big authorative footballing presense that was displayed by Malkay. The fall guy, who''d sort everything out when things go wrong and encourage and motivate the team during the game. Maybe we''re just lacking ''character'' in the dressing room

Spot on, this is exactly what we need (as I also said in a post yesterday). Basically a low-budget Viera or Keane.

Maybe Hughes will turn out to be this man, he certainly seems keen enough. Has anyone else noticed his habit of doing a lap of the pitch after every game applauding the fans? I personally find it quite endearing.

His passing and tackling''s a bit wayward at the moment, but maybe he''s just settling in. That cross he put into Ashton against Palace was a peach so there''s hope yet.