Sign in to follow this  
rich

does the pinkun have the guts

to print a selection of our responses, our even run
an article or poll questioning worthy. I''d guess not,
but shouldn''t the job of the paper to show the mood
of it''s readers, the club needed to know that worthy
has lost the faith of many of us.

Can see your point, but are the comments of a relatively few people on these boards actually a true or fair representation of those of the majority of supporters who don''t post?  As with all things, it is those who feel strongly this way or that who will comment, but the majority who are happy don''t do so....and there is also the fact that the vast majority of people probably don''t have pc/internet access.

I guess the pinkun could always run an article saying that there is ''increasing unrest'' amongst some sections of supporters, or something.

I personally am not in the Worthy out brigade (yet), am willing to give him more time to gel the players together into the side we know they can be - it seems only fair to give him a decent chance as he did get us promoted, and we only got relegated by the finest of margins last season after no one had really given us a chance of staying up.

[quote]to print a selection of our responses, our even run an article or poll questioning worthy. I''d guess not, but shouldn''t the job of the paper to show the mood of it''s readers, the club needed to know t...[/quote]

It''s not about having the guts.  It''s whether the views are a true representation of fans in general, which they are not.  The posters on this board, generally and I know there are exceptions, are very negative on the whole.  There are also other "bandwagons" that run on this board, such as the Flemmo is the devil bandwagon, that are again not representative of the fans in general.

Some fans I know who have posted in the past have got bored with the negativity and not bothered coming on again, so I suppose the moaners continue to grow as a percentage of the overall.

I agree Dicky. As stated in an earlier post, from what i saw last night, there were a very small group of boo boys, but a very vocal section supporting Worthy. The Worthy out poll here seems to be posted to by people who''ve mostly just appeared. Nothing wrong with that, but t''s sad that a few would seem to have joined merely to scream for his resignation. They''ll be the same in five minutes claiming he''s a god if it''s turned round. Some might just be posting ''cos they''re windup merchants who''ve got nothing better to do with their time except annoy proper supporters ;-)

it''s the same old posters in the "worthy out brigade".

we know who they are and most of us can probably make a good list of them.
they are the minority and if you said black they would always say white.

[quote]I agree Dicky. As stated in an earlier post, from what i saw last night, there were a very small group of boo boys, but a very vocal section supporting Worthy. The Worthy out poll here seems to be pos...[/quote]

Agreed, by the sounds of it the fans at Stoke last night gave them a standing ovation. They didnt really deserve it, but thats what loyal fans do.

I''m probably going to get shot down for saying this from those who won''t like it (Wiz & his gang) but last night listening to the game on canaries world it made me realise how much more frustrating it is than actually being there.

It seems, when you don''t go to the games you can''t physically pick out the positives in each game (Norwich were all over Leeds on Saturday for example, but our strikers just couldn''t find the net) but those who listened to the commentary only had one factor to reflect on which was the scoreline.

This is the reason the posters on this board are obsessed with ''doom and gloom'', scapegoating and calling for Worthy''s head.

I''m no supporter of Worthington and I believe that if things continue the way they are he''s on his way out - Portman Road will be his D-Day methinks...

However, as an exile without even the radio to listen in to I have to agree with Beds re his comments on Saturday.   I was actually driving down to Norfolk on Saturday for a long overdue visit - obviously ticketless, I picked up Radio Norfolk as I came through Peterborough and listened to the whole 90 mins of the game.

Now to me, it did indeed seem that we were all over Leeds for large parts of the game and that we were not outplayed at all - but we couldn''t get the ball in the net...I didn''t hear the inquest on the game as I pulled up my folks drive as the final whistle blew, but as far as I was concerned the impression I got was good performance, poor finishing (and feel free to correct me if I''m wrong).   Perhaps I''m not such a bandwagon moaner as the others?

I don''t know where all the other "moaners" like me get their information on performances,  but I like to base my opinions on the club''s performance over the past few seasons - me I want City in the Premiership as an established club not as a yo-yo club.   Sorry if you don''t like where I''m coming from but I don''t see Worthington as the man for the job...there are other candidates out there.

[quote]I''m no supporter of Worthington and I believe that if things continue the way they are he''s on his way out - Portman Road will be his D-Day methinks... However, as an exile without even the radio ...[/quote]

Again, somebody who does not watch the team, with all of the answers!  And before I get criticised for calling people 2nd class supporters or whatever, if you don''t watch the team, how can you comment?

" ........but shouldn''t the job of the paper to show the mood
of it''s readers, the club needed to know that worthy
has lost the faith of many of us."

Replace guts with stupidity.

It''s job is to report news not make it up. Just because a few of the (toilet) papers hide cheap titillation under the guise of the readers need to know it doesn''t follow that every paper has to follow this line.

If you feel so principled then stop trying to get the Pinkun to do your duty work. Write to the club, phone them up or better still parade up and down Carrow Road with a sandwich board saying the "end is nigh" accompanied by the multitude of your fellow malcontents.

Maybe the club and the rest of us can then gauge how many of this so called ''us'' have lost the faith.

[quote]Again, somebody who does not watch the team, with all of the answers! And before I get criticised for calling people 2nd class supporters or whatever, if you don''t watch the team, how can you comment...[/quote]

Another post insulting a fan dicky. 

There are no 1st or 2nd class distinction in being a fan - you either one are or are not.   Plastic scousers comments maybe antagoistic to some but they bear the whiff of truth and some reasoning, whether he has seen the games or not.   Is his opinion wrong simply because it does not match yours?  I dont think so.

OTBC

[quote]Another post insulting a fan dicky. There are no 1st or 2nd class distinction in being a fan - you either one are or are not. Plastic scousers comments maybe antagoistic to some but they bear the ...[/quote]

Stick to my point - I did not go to the Stoke game yesterday, so I would not dream of commenting on it based on what the papers say, or what Neal Adams says.  I gather we were crap, but that''s about it.

How can anyone who has not seen the team play this season possibly comment on the important issues? 

If you look back at some of the comments some of the non-attenders are writing about, for example, Flemmo, it shows that there is a lot of jumping on bandwagons.

I realise that there are valid reasons why some people cannot go to games, but for them to make statements about this that and the other has about the same credibility with me as the "Old Trafford Faithfull", who have never been to Manchester.  My opionion, OK?

[quote]Can see your point, but are the comments of a relatively few people on these boards actually a true or fair representation of those of the majority of supporters who don''t post? As with all things, i...[/quote]

I''m not fielding my position on the matter of where I stand with the hot topic of debate, but I have managed to get to all the home games so far and if I had a list of things that we see on this board (all posters, and no doubt the other messageboards have similar ideas), I could tick them all off almost word for word with the different people that are sitting around at each match. These comments come from the young (15 upwards?) right up to the older people who have been supporting for the last 40/50 years.

Therefore I do think that what we see here is a broad representation of all fans'' opinions - it''s just that some posters and their opinions are more visible.

I agree with dicky, if you don''t go you can''t comment. simply listening to Neil "not a bad word to say about anything or anyone" adams - no longer cuts it.

To make bold statements about calling for a managers head without having seen them play is madness.

simply rewriting comments that you read a national newspapers also counts for very little.

i''m not stupid I''ve worked for local papers I know
that they don''t have a leg to stand on, but some kind of poll
would be useful just to see how much of us so called doom
and gloom merchants they really are.

it''ll surprise you.

Why don''t Archant (regional) or Anglia TV, run a text message poll asking fans if the club are heading in the right direction?

Premium rate calls only, don''t ask the phone owner''s permission, and the generous profits to be donated to the "Mello Yello Benevolent Fund Worldwide!"

Well a bloke''s got to make a livin'' ain''t he! OTBC ;~) 

PS. Don''t forget, donations to the M.Y.B.F.W.......:cool:

Which really stands for: My Big Fat Wallet!

There is no groundswell of opinion for Worthy to go as far as I can see.  This board skews the way things look considerably.  I was at Stoke and thought the fans there were unbelievably supportive in a difficult situation.  Amongst those fans at least I would say that there were remarkably few voices calling for managerial change.

It is important to recognise that all Message Boards are self selecting and by definition are never representative samples of opinion, either positive or negative.  I think it is true that "moderates" who don''t see every issue in the club as an extreme positive or negative are put off this Board by those who find it necessary to relentlessly and repetitively push their views.  They have every right to those views and I am interested to read them from time to time but it does become tedious to come on here and read the same people spouting the same old recycled views over and over again.  I, like many others I suspect, just switch off and think to myself "I''ll not look at the Board for a week or two to escape all the endless carping and repetition of tired old views" 

Things are tough at the club right now and need to improve pretty dramatically if the season is not to be a huge failure, but that does not translate into a demand for sackings amongst the large majority of fans in my opinion.

August 64

I would guess that if you took a straw poll now through any medium, be it "The Pink''Un", Radio Norfolk, Radio Broadland, on the net, in the street or outside Carrow Road before a match then a significant number of people would say they would want W to go. 

If this wasn''t the case, why is Mumby defending him?

[quote]Stick to my point - I did not go to the Stoke game yesterday, so I would not dream of commenting on it based on what the papers say, or what Neal Adams says. I gather we were crap, but that''s about i...[/quote]

Well said.

Probably the best example was the Fleming bashing still going on Sunday morning, despite the fact that Flem was one of the best City players on the pitch against Leeds. Those who weren''t there didn''t see how good Flem was.

To be honest I think it is to be expected that newspapers, radio stations etc will run polls when a club is in the situation we are in now. However - two points:

1. They never run polls when the team is doing well. Did the Pink''Un, Evening News, Radio Norfolk or anyone else run a poll saying should ''Worthy stay or go'' when we got promoted? There''s no real reason why they shouldn''t have, but unfortunately the whole media in our country are obsessed with being negative and trying to convince us how terrible everything is.

2. The answers to these polls sometimes demonstrate that the fans are actually pretty ...er ...daft. The classic case in point was a poll run in the Manchester Evening News asking should Ferguson stay or go in about 1994. They had just won their first title in yonks but Ferguson had then sold Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes. 68% of the respondents said that Ferguson should go. What many of those who said he should go didn''t realise was how good the generation of young players that Man U had coming through at the time were.

Dicky

I and obviously a few other posters are getting a little tired of your knee jerk reactions to valid comments posted on this board.

If you took the time to read my post, you would have seen that as a so called "second class supporter" I actually posted some positive comments on the performance against Leeds (based on the radio I know, I''s so sorry that I wasn''t able to get to the game - will you ever forgive me?) - but then if you were there then you would have agreed that we should have won the game because (shock horror) we played better (or was the radio wrong - again)...so why no comment on the fact that I was saying the team played well?  But of course you choose to focus on the fact that I don''t go to the games and therefore have no right as a fan of the club to comment on their performance over the course of 35 odd years of support....?

Sorry mate but if you think that we band of exiles who support City from afar don''t deserve to have any say on how we feel the club is performing at the moment then I feel sorry for you.

I love City - have done since I went to my first match aged about 5.  Don''t you dare try to tell me I have no right to make comment on a team that I love and will do to my dying day.   If you don''t like what you read - make some sort of reasoned argument - try to avoid the insults as they only show you up for what you are...

"I would guess that if you took a straw poll now through any medium, be it "The Pink''Un", Radio Norfolk, Radio Broadland, on the net, in the street or outside Carrow Road before a match then a significant number of people would say they would want W to go. "

What about inside Stoke''s ground on Monday night ? If vocal support was anything to go by then the whingers are well in the minority.

Funny how that when the time to stand up a be counted their only response is nothing more than an extended whine.

If they feel so strongly they should stop bleating on here, make up they placards, leaflets and banners and go and make their voices heard at Colney or Carrow Road.

Then we''ll see whose has the guts (and the numbers)

This whole I am superior because I wont talk about the teams problems, will sing all game, attend more games than you, wont leave untill all other fans are out of the stadium debate is simply ludicrous and in the end only dividing us as fans.  FMF summary is perfect for me - FFS indeed

By taking on board posters views, telly highlights, paper and interweb reviews, , it is possible to form a view. I have identified a set of sources that seem to see the game in a similar manner to me and that enables me buld up a picture of how the individual players have performed - if the papers all have a player at around 4/5 out of 10 then they have had a poor game,  if the score varies itis impossible to comment, if they are all around 6/7 then they have been average and over that they have played very well.   

With a smidgeon of intelligence, not relying on just one source to form your opinion and listening to commentators you trust it is possible to analyse the info, form a decent opinion and share your views with the posters on this board.

Where do people draw the line on ''you can only have an opinion if you have lived the event'' A stupid example would be I have a negative opinion of a certain Adolf Hitler but did not live through the war or ever met him - does that mean my opinion is wrong?

I was at the leeds game and I saw that none of the defenders played ''well'', and I can see from the Stoke goals that the same errors on saturday were present again on Monday, when I did not attend, to enable me to establish that the defenders have not improved nor got any worse between the games, its just Stoke exploited our weaknesses better than leeds did.  Defending is more than just about winning a header, its about shape and organistaion,and we simply dont have it.  Others disagree and you are as entitled to that view as I am mine.

A local papers remit is to report the goings on in that locality; it that means reporting a reflection of the fans concerns then that should be published but should be balanced with a set of views that oppose the concerns from those requesting stability and probably a response from the club - that is balanced journalism.      

OTBC

[quote]To be honest I think it is to be expected that newspapers, radio stations etc will run polls when a club is in the situation we are in now. However - two points: 1. They never run polls when the team...[/quote]

Someone mentioned a Broadland call in today which puts it at 54% wanting worthy out.

But as with all these polls its only the fanaticsone way or another who vote (for the record I did not vote, but would vote Keep Him for few more days yet.

OTBC