Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Referees

What is it with these people ? Why can´t they start by giving ALL who make protests yellow cards before they start sending somebody off on first dissent ? OK, so let´s see how many times Rooney and Keane get red cards this season. ManU will finish with 5 or 6 players if the referees are consequent about this. (which they of course aren´t. Come october, and this have settled to the same level as last year)

And I think it is no good swearing to anyone on the footballpitch, but is it right that Roy Keane got banned for 4 matches for the awful attack on Alfie Haaland, and Hucks gets 3 mathes for using words ?

GET UP, NORWICH - I WANT YOU ON MY TELLY AGAIN !!!

Roberth - Norway

For those that have never read the laws of the game dissent should result in a caution and abusive, offensive or insulting language a send-off. You cannot give a yellow card for abusive, offensive or insulting language - even for a first offence. Use the wrong words and it is a straight red. It does not matter if the words are aimed at the referee, his assistants, an opponent, a team mate or someone in the crowd, the law states that the use of such language is a send off offence, regardless of the target.

So what is abusive, offensive and insulting language? This is not defined anywhere, it is purely in the opinion of the referee. Any player who has missed an open goal has probably shouted "Oh dearie me!" in frustration. Now if everytime a frustrated player opened his mouth he was sent off the game would be abandoned due to lack of players after about 5 minutes.

Most referees will use the tone and volume of the offending language and maybe even his body language as a guide. However a parks referee in Norfolk who was also a priest sent off any player who blasphemed - regardless of the situation. To him taking the Lord''s name in vain was offensive. In law he was not wrong and no appeals against him ever stood.

At the end of the day it will come down to the individual referee''s personal tolerance level. It may even come down to his mood on the day. If he has a row with the wife before the game he may be quicker to dismiss a player than on the day she kisses him sweetly as he leaves for the game.

The FA have said that the use of abusive, offensive or insulting language must not be tolerated. However, the referee has to hear it before he can take action.

Imagine how little you can hear at Old Trafford with nearly 70,000 people in there. Unless you stand next to someone then it is difficult to communicate properly. That''s why Schmeichal always seemed to yell so loudly at his defenders - it is the only way to be heard.

The TV cameras pick up Rooney mouthing at the referee. But as he is 30 yards from the ref then the guy has no chance of hearing it. I have refereed in front of crowds of under 200 and not heard something said by a player which has then been brought to my attention later.

So it comes down to self-control by the players. Today''s professional footballer tends to have very little self-control. If they did not show dissent at every decision then their supporters would accuse them of a lack of passion. With their high wages they will do everything possible to justify their place in the team to the manager and fans. What is done at Old Trafford on Saturday will be replicated at Sloughbotton or on the Beaconsfield on Sunday.

So where do we go from here. Either the game cleans up its act or it justifys itself and allows standards to slip. We already see the police turning up at Thorpe Rec and other grounds across Norfolk to investigate complaints from local residents. Why shouldn''t they turn up at Carrow Road or Highbury?

Thank you for a very serious answer !

And as I said; I think it´s very good that one takes action in this matter, no problem there. It is good as an example for the youth, good for the tone og the game and everything.

But as with all refereeing: It has got to be fair ! I haven´t been out on a footballpitch myself and can´t say how much a referee hears, but if Norwich misses play-off because the ref is very strict, and shows the red card, and another lets everything pass, there has to be something wrong ! Perhaps they should start with microfones in the same way as they do with video and give match bans based on audio evidence ?

Roberth