Sign in to follow this  
Indy

OT Stokes back in at the expense of young Curren

Can’t believe he’s been dropped, on form alone Curren deserves to be in that team!

That aside Stokes still has to face an ECB disciplinary board, surely he should be dropped till he’s faced this board!

What message does this send out, given Stokes had represented England that day and was still part of the squad at the time he decided to have a fight!

Just so sad and not a great advert for cricket IMO.

Stokes is a fantastic cricketer, England are a better team with him in it. Hes been found not guilty so can play. I don''t see any issue here.

Very harsh on Curren. I''d have dropped Jennings and promoted Bairstow, giving the gloves to Buttler.

Would make it a much stronger side, not that it particularly needs to be as the Indians seem to have lost some of their fight.

Sorry but this isn’t the first incident ECB have had well th Stokes there was that Vodeo he posted mocking young Katie Prices son.

While he’s waiting on his hearing he should be playing county cricket.

That aside Curren has had a huge impact taken his chance and shouldn’t have been dropped.

I don''t really care about Stokes playing- he''s been found not guilty.

Curren is really unfortunate to be dropped though.

Still to be decided about bringing the game into disrepute, so not yet.

But for form only, it has to be Curren, bet he’s pretty peed today!

At least it is a nice problem to have- Broad, Anderson, Curren, Woakes, Stokes, Wood is a great selection of pace bowlers to be picking from.

Absolutely, that’s why IMO you shouldn’t drop the MOM two tests ago without good reason.

We’ll wait and see if Stokes actually has an impact, I’m sure he’ll get a mixed reception from the fans.

Putting aside any drunken thuggery, this is what gets me - would professional athletes in training go out and drink when in training and in the middle of a series of events?   The answer ought to be no.  Completely unprofessional for any sportsman in training.  Top cricketers get shed loads of money these days and with that goes responsibility and over the years there has been so much cr*p associated with professional cricketers who think they are on some sort of jolly instead of partaking in a serious sport, for which they are well paid, ever since the days of Botham/Gower and co.  
Ok, they give it all on the playing field, but then one or other or a few of them spoil it all by letting the game and it''s supporters down. Don''t get me wrong it happens in all sports, but cricket seems to have more than it''s fair share of anything goes type wallies who bring the game into disrepute again and again.
Stokes, on the footage shown looks to be an experienced fighter, you can see that from the way he sets himself up in the street, before striking out. The posture and hands position is totally in tune with someone who is used to fighting, learned either through boxing or just experience with fighting. Shameful display imo, drunk or not and hasn''t even apologised yet.

Give it a rest. Like Cliff Richard, he’s not guilty and however much you think they fit the bill for the charges levelled, a selected group of his peers has found him as such.

As for gettingon the beers....they need to wind down as much as the next chap and if knocking out a few bigots is the way, then so be it...😂😉

I thinks there’s a long line with bait on it Lakey!

Just been out walking the dog chatting to my next door neighbor, he’s going on Sunday to the test match, he’s also not impressed with this, said that it sends the wrong message to youngsters.

I’d have left him out till the ECB dealt with him.

IMO the best thing would be Stokes in for Buttler - the latter being in the side for his batting is pretty ridiculous, there''s better options out there for Test cricket..

It''s tough on young Curran (note the spelling) but winning this test is most important.

There are matters concerning the trial that are suspicious. I read the two gay lads praising Stokes intervention in the homophobic attack in the Sun one Saturday morning on the way to a City Home match six months or more ago surprised they were not required as witnesses by the defence ( only get the Sun on Saturday on match days to read on train).

Knew he would get off when the charge was affray a charge difficult to prove and if found guilty could have a heavy sentence. Common assault which carries 5 years max would have been easier to prosecute should have been the charge. But CPS go for the glory shot and overcharge as usual. Maybe a cricket fan remember your taxes pay for this charade.

Pete
"There are matters concerning the trial that are suspicious."
He has been to trial and found not guilty by a jury, thats the end of the matter.

You cannot leave a fit and available Ben Stokes from any test eleven. On his day he is amongst the best in the world.

Very harsh on Curran who made such an impact with both bat and ball that he clearly would seem to have a very bright test future ahead of him. He''ll feel disappointed, but not discredited.

The fall guy is usually Chris Woakes, but he gets better and better as emphasised by his wickets and maiden test century last time out.

England are fortunate to apparently have three top class all-rounders now available to them.

I would have left out one of the two old boys, Anderson or Broad, and called it resting. There is quite a heavy test schedule ahead culminating in next years home Ashes series. It was previously suggested that these two would be treated sparingly this Summer in any case and we need just one more tilt at the Aussies from the pair of them.

It would have been a useful test and learning curve for Curran to open the attack. I don''t think that the Indians have got much left in the tank now are likely to present decent, but not demoralising opposition for a youngster finding his feet at the highest level.

Sorry about the spalling of Curran.

Back to Stokes, there’s no doubt he’s a tremendous players and certainly a match winner, yes he’s been acquitted in a court of law, but he’s under pending disciplinary review by the ECB and as said he’s already under warning about his conduct after his tweets.

While I agree it’s tough, the circumstances of the altercation are very sketchy so can see why the result went as it did but, the video footage was brutal by Stokes and certainly lost control for a few moments.

Taking away the legal side on form alone I have to agree that to get Stokes in Broad or Anderson could have been rested, but I doubt either would have taken it lightly, the easy option was taken to drop the youngster, how this might effect Curran we don’t know.

IMO the best thing would be Stokes in for Buttler - the latter being in the side for his batting is pretty ridiculous, there''s better options out there for Test cricket.

I thought that myself. Butler isn''t in form it seems and I doubt it would weaken the batting.

It does seem that many sportsmen seem to be found not guilty when there is plenty of evidence to say they were.

Bowyer, Woodgate, Gerrard, etc and Cipriani gets a fine.

But we cannot be judgmental when it comes to the law but people do have to realise they can''t jump in and out of the legal system when it suits.

Just because he was found not guilty doesn''t mean that people can''t disapprove of what he did.

Jumping in to defend a couple who are being subjected to homophobic behaviour is very admirable but there are other ways of getting that dealt with than just beating people up.

And he was mocking the gay couple himself a few minutes before and threw a cigarette end at one of them-so not all that admirable really, makes me wonder whether he was just looking for an excuse for a fight.

Regardless of anything else looks like he’s not making any impact on this game other than giving them easy runs!