Sign in to follow this  
FCC

Leitner

Absolute waste of a shirt.

Lightweight bottler with nowhere near enough ability on the ball to justify his lack of everything else.

Good with the ball but incredibly lightweight, slow and seems to lack the desire in a battle!

Yes he may have played in the Champions League but from what I''ve seen of him so far is very unsuitable for the Championship!

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]😀😀 1/10[/quote]
The trouble with that post FF is that the OP is absolutely spot on. Yesterday he had a stinker.

Leitner has been at some good clubs and was held in high regard. Historically he’s never been a regular goal scorer or creator. He’s not good defensively either. He’s technically good and a good passer but in my opinion that’s about it. A centre midfield player, especially in England, needs more strings to his bow, and I don’t think is suited to us. I think he unbalances us a little when he plays.

The trouble with that post FF is that the OP is absolutely spot on. Yesterday he had a stinker

Thing is, if you go with that theory then Krul, Hanley, Rhodes, in fact pretty much everyone apart from Hernandez is a “ waste of a shirt “.

It won''t be the first time a player who looked good on loan seems to under perform after a transfer fee is paid. He seems to lack a bit of fire in his belly and what with Tettey looking ropey and Maclean struggling to step up from Scottish football (surprise surprise) our whole midfield looks under weight, increasing pressure on the back four. I think we are actually missing Vrancic too.

McLean has started just one game - not a lot to judge whether he''ll ''make the step up''. Some really don''t give players much of a chance, do they, particularly when he (and Leitner) were lauded for playing well from the bench at Brum.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]McLean has started just one game - not a lot to judge whether he''ll ''make the step up''. Some really don''t give players much of a chance, do they, particularly when he (and Leitner) were lauded for playing well from the bench at Brum.[/quote]
So has Farke given him much of a chance? If not, why not.

At what point will people realise that these players have been signed for the purpose of Norwich City remaining in the Championship this season? This is not a team assembled for a promotion push. They will be good enough to avoid the drop into league 1 and continue our transition into a mid table championship team. That is the blue print of this so called project that the board has set the club upon. So no, he’s not a waste of a shirt, he will do the job he was bought in to do.

I’m not convinced he is a player good enough to keep us out of League 1. I actually thought Tettey was excellent yesterday, appeared to chase everything and had more energy and muscle than the others in midfield.

Maybe Leitner needs more time, maybe he is a good player, but for us - I don’t think he is what we need.

[quote user="JF"]At what point will people realise that these players have been signed for the purpose of Norwich City remaining in the Championship this season? This is not a team assembled for a promotion push. They will be good enough to avoid the drop into league 1 and continue our transition into a mid table championship team. That is the blue print of this so called project that the board has set the club upon. So no, he’s not a waste of a shirt, he will do the job he was bought in to do.[/quote]
Much too simplistic. You aim to do the best you can and that could mean just staying in the league, it can include being comfortably mid table or it can mean a promotion push.  No one sets limits on what a team can or cannot do during a season.

Leitner is a good player. But when he missed that one on one his head dropped and was rightfully subbed.

But a waste of a shirt? Some people need to get a real fucking grip on reality.

I believe Leitner could become an important asset over the season if he can stay fit & Norwich show some consistency. With some good coaching & a little bit of luck injury-wise, positional indiscipline around the defensive midfield area should improve (Thompson?). Of course he needs to pitch in defensively & track runners but he is a "Farke-philosophy" player.

Jamal on the left flank will hopefully solve a problem. Right-flank looks problematic currently. None of Marshall, Pinto, Aarons or Passlack look solid or reliable defensively in the current formation. If Marshall is to be first-choice here, I think Tettey & Thompson (or perhaps Godfrey for increased flexibility) could shield and cover while simultaneously giving Leitner more freedom to look forwards rather than get sucked in covering marauding full-backs. The return of Vrancic should add another dimension to the midfield mix - difficult to see how to incorporate Vrancic, Leitner & McLean into the same 11 if all fit & available together, while remaining solid.

Not convinced his end product has been anywhere near good enough, but it''s early days so not going to write him off. That said, it does seem some fans rate him highly just because of his pedigree; if someone like Vrancic had made some of the errors he had done in the last couple of days he would have been right vilified.

That said, the offside chance was one of the worst misses I''ve ever seen. Yes the keeper made a decent save, but he shouldn''t have been given that opportunity - Leitner should have either rounded the keeper, or played the percentages and laid in Hernandez for a tap-in. Very, very poor and ultimately lost us the game.

Finishing clearly isn''t his strong point but he''s not in the team to do that.

He impressed me v Birmingham with his willingness to drive forwards. That is what we lacked last season so if he''s happy to do that rather than just receive it and pass it 10 yards sideways then I''ll be happy.

Certainly last season, his role was to carry the ball from the defence and give it to Maddison to create the chance or shot. At times I felt they got in each other''s way.

This season so far, he seems to be the creator, with the willingness to find attacking players. I like the way he always tries to find space and looks calm in possession, but I agree he does look lightweight in the tackle and doesn''t have the same shooting/scoring ability as Maddison.

I suspect there is a confidence issue - with unsuccessful spells at his last couple of clubs probably on his mind and affecting his finishing. I hope that once he gets one he will kick on.

He is not as robust in the challenge there are positive. Like Wes, he is always demanding the ball (only player to have a touch more than once a min, incl the back 4) and we need that outlet to connect to the front three.

He has created more chances than Pukki and loses possession less than either Hernandez or Pukki - who have both had their contributions recognised.

For me he is a key part of the coming success of the attacking 4 and at the moment I would not want to change that emerging dimension to the side; Srbeny, McLean, Vrancic and Buendia to supplement each as fitness and form fluctuate.

No entirely his fault,

Asked to play right center mid against SU, with absolutely no one wide right for him, meaning he had no option but to come inside or back every time he got possession.

He''s crying out to be used as proper No.10

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]The trouble with that post FF is that the OP is absolutely spot on. Yesterday he had a stinker

Thing is, if you go with that theory then Krul, Hanley, Rhodes, in fact pretty much everyone apart from Hernandez is a “ waste of a shirt “.[/quote]
FF he is lightweight and is too easily closed down and challenged when he is on the ball which is something he will have to get to grips with in the Championship. On Saturday he ended up in a heap on the floor numerous times when physically challenged for the ball with no foul being given.
While you mention Tim Krul i also have to say that having watched him twice now the Tim Krul i wanted to see based on his Newcastle and International CV appears at this moment in time to be a long way off. Hesitates with crosses and not at all commanding.
Rhodes is a six yard box poacher as his two goals have shown which is exactly why we signed him. He does not have much else in his locker but hey did you expect more and Hanley is a good honest strong CB which is what we need in this division. If Hernandez gets injured or picks up a ban God help us.

Leitner is a ‘nice’ player whom I expect could look very good in the right set-up. However, for me, he is currently where Vrancic was this time last season. The difference being Leitner has already had half a season in this league to adapt so I would be expecting much more from him by now. Vrancic had improved massively half a season in.

From what I’ve seen so far, I would be playing a fit Vrancic ahead of Leitner as he just seems to have a bit more about him and more aggression/conviction in his play.

Completely agree that Leitner does need to work on his core strength to help adapt to the physicality of the championship game.

But in context he has been dispossessed 3 times so far this season, compared to Onels 4 and Pukkis 9 (and the far more robust Trybull 5 times and the same 3 as Tettey)

Does this mean Leitner is this seasons scapegoat or is it anyone apart from Hernandez that isn’t fit to wear the shirt?

[quote user="JF"]At what point will people realise that these players have been signed for the purpose of Norwich City remaining in the Championship this season? This is not a team assembled for a promotion push. They will be good enough to avoid the drop into league 1 and continue our transition into a mid table championship team. That is the blue print of this so called project that the board has set the club upon. So no, he’s not a waste of a shirt, he will do the job he was bought in to do.[/quote]

If that is so, can I have my season ticket money back? I foolishly thought i was paying to watch a Norwich team that wanted promotion.

@Clint

Agree with that- Vrancic seemed to get to grips with the pace and style of the game here by Christmas. Hoping Leitner does the same as he does seem a bit easily bullied at times.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Does this mean Leitner is this seasons scapegoat or is it anyone apart from Hernandez that isn’t fit to wear the shirt?[/quote]
He could well be FF as Husband is on his bike to Fleetwood. [:P][;)]