Sign in to follow this  
Feel The Force

Webber's 'Brand of Football'

When Webber arrived he talked a lot about how Norwich teams of the past lacked a clear identity, in terms of style of play, or brand of football I think he called it.

So now that we have a clear brand of football – slow, ponderous, possession based and so far not that successful, at what point will he rebrand?

Perhaps a Sporting Director is different to a Director of Football but I always thought the latter had a direct influence on the style of play and was their to make sure a footballing philosophy was embedded at every level throughout the club. It seems though that Farke is solely responsible for our brand of football and any change to that brand would mean him leaving.

Which begs the question why has Webber appointed Farke and allowed him to persist with a possession based style which doesn''t work in the Championship. Surely Webber knows the english league well enough to know what type of teams get out of the Championship. Unless you have the kind of cash Wolves had it tends to be teams like Cardiff that have a great work ethic, are athletic and powerful and play a direct game that focuses on getting the ball into the box at every opportunity.

I guess the problem with Cardiff''s brand of football is that it doesn''t work in the premier league and they will probably be relegated as a result. So it''s catch 22 - play like Cardiff, get promoted and then relegated or prepare for premier league football but never get out of the championship.

"So now that we have a clear brand of football – slow, ponderous,

possession based and so far not that successful, at what point will he

rebrand?"
You''ve obviously not watched any Norwich matches this season then.  We are moving the ball much faster, and are much happier to mix it up a little.  I know the old adage about statistics, but with the amount of shots and, importantly, shots from inside the six-yard box before long we''ll start seeing results go in the right direction.  I hope!

Webber’s job isn’t to set the brand of football, that is determined by the board in partnership with Webber.

When he was brought it there was lots of talk of ‘The Norwich Way’ - which was described as passing, attacking football with young players developed by the academy.

Farke was targeted as he coaches a possession style passed on passing the ball and came from a position where he focused on developing young players. If Norwich had decided their ‘way’ was long balls and percentage football then Webber would have targeted a Warnock style manager.

I think it is a misnomer that possession football can’t work in the Championship, Fulham player that way and had success and if you look at Huddersfield when they went up they averaged well over 50% possession also.

There are plenty of teams that play like Cardiff in the Championship, and they rarely get promoted. I’d say that last seasons Cardiff are more an anomaly. Going back to 2015 when Norwich were last promoted out of all the teams promoted I’d say only Burnley and Cardiff went for a direct style, most had a more considered passing style.

Norwich are the most attacking team in the league so far this season, nothing ponderous going on so far. In fact they could do with a bit more pondering in order to stop leaking goals.

Norwich weren’t going to be able to change style, cut costs and overhaul the academy all in one season. So far this season I wouldn’t say I’ve seen a bad performance from Norwich - some silly individual errors definitely, but no failings in the system or huge tactical errors. Norwich have had a tough start - WBA and Sheff U will both be around the play-offs come the end of the season and a little perspective is needed. If Norwich keep playing the way they have (and cut out the errors) this will be a much improved season than last year.

Have not seen a league game yet this season so super excited about game tonight.

Went to the cup game and was bored stiff with the same old passing across the middle rubbish we saw most of the time last year.

Everything changed once the subs came on and we could have scored 5 or 6.

Am off to pump up tyres ready for ride to the ground.

OTBC

Webber is obviously too young to remember that Norwich City''s identity and style of play goes back to 1973 when Sir Arthur and John Bond got together in order to play passing football based on the West Ham model. This style carried on throughout the Chase years and beyond.

Webber doesn''t know what he is talking about.

Norwich City''s identity and style of play goes back to 1973

In 1969 Jethro tull brought out ''Living In The Past'', some people are still there...

If we have a brand, why when we make changes for a cup game do the team look like they met on the bus?

I thought the brand would be from top to bottom in the club - if you are playing a role at any level you know what is expected.

Slow, boring one paced. 35 mins in and their keeper hasn’t made a save. Relegation battle under farke.