Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Preston

It seems to me we need Godfrey in there to act as a holding midfielder able to drop back to being a third centre back so either wing back can get forward safely.  Flexibility is the key.
                     Krull
  Marshall Hanley Klose Lewis
                  Godfrey
  Hernandez Leitner Trybull Pukki
                   Rhodes

I also agree that perhaps it would be good if Tettey was rested and Godfrey was given his opportunity. I’m not sure if it’s age, or still feeling the effects of his recent illness, or both but he isn’t quite at the races imo, and I think Godfrey not only deserves his chance but will improve us as a unit. I agree with Jordan Rhodes in that we’re not a million miles off clicking, so I would stick with the formation for now. That said, if we reverted to 3 at the back then I would probably play this line up (if Klose still here) - Krul, Marshall, Hanley, Klose, Zimmermann, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia, Pukki, Hernandez, Rhodes. 4 at the back then Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Klose, Lewis, Buendia, Godfrey, Leitner, Hernandez, Pukki, Rhodes.

I think we’ll get the better of Preston with a much needed confidence boosting win to settle some sections of the fans, and set us up for the visit of Dirty Leeds on Saturday.

Trybull has been poor so far this season so I''d be tempted to drop him.

I''d switch to a back 3 also.

Krul

Hanley, Godfrey, Klose

Marshall, Leitner, Tettey, Lewis

Pukki, Rhodes, Hernandez

Back 3 for me also with Pinto and Lewis wing backs and Tettey holding, allowing Marshall to play further forward.

Krul

Godfrey Hanley Klose

Pinto Tettey Lewis

Marshall Pukki Hernandez

Rhodes

.........Krul......

Pinto..Hanley...klose..Lewis

Marshall..tettey...leitner..hernandez

.............pukki...............

..............rhodes. ........

Tryball for tettey if he isn''t fit

....cannot have marshall ever at right back again

........krul.........

......Aarons Hanley Klose Lewis.....

......Godfrey Thompson......

.....Marshall Pukki Hernandez......

.....Rhodes

I can''t see Tettey being able to manage both Preston and Leeds. Certainly one of thos games should be for Godfrey to start, and maybe Thompson.
Vrancic and McLean look to be out, possible, until after the binners.
The question is whether Klose will still be here (Pinto?) as I''m not too sure in Zimmerman for all his commitment is up to the rigors of the Championship. Which may well be one of Farke''s failings.
Players who look good outside of the UK may not fare so well in the ''rough and tumble'' of the Championship until they have had time to adjust.
I think we will have to just battle through the next couple of games until we know the final comings and goings on the 31st.
Perhaps we can see Buendia tread the hallowed turf over the next two games.

Krul*

Hanley* Zimmermann Klose

Matthews.* Thompson* Lewis*

Onel. Leitner. Pukki

Rhodes*

Subs

McGovern Passlack/Aarons/Pinto, Godfrey* Trybull Steipermann, Buendia Srbeny

Krul

Aaron, Klose, Hanley, Lewis

Marshall, Leitner, Trybull, Hernandez

Pukki

Rhodes

Lets start putting round pegs in round holes. Marshall is not a rightback and Tettey has been rubbish this season so far but won''t play 2 games in 4 days anyway.

Subs: McGovern, Zimmermann, Godfrey, Thompson, Srbeny, Buendia, Cantwell

I like it Bonzo.

Git of a gamble throwing both Thompson & Godfrey into the engine room together but there is positional flexibility there. Neither Tettey nor Trybull look to be in form at the moment, McLean & Vrancic unavailable, Leitner still in there in (possibly) his ideal position further forward & linking the play. Looks dangerous on the break, looks solid enough defensively (is Pinto fit enough? Right-back is a bit of an issue). Marshall, Stiepermann & Srbeny off the bench.

4-1-4-1 / 4-2-3-1 seem the formations adopted all of pre season I can’t see him dropping to 3 at the back as much as it may seem to make sense looking at the lack of real solid LB/RB options.

Krul

Aaron’s Hanley Klose Lewis

Trybull

Marshall Leitner Pukki Hernandez

Rhodes

If tettey isn’t going to make 2 games in a week I’d prefer him to play against Leeds.

Marshall looks a threat going forward and quite clearly isn’t a right back despite his best efforts. Arguments for a fit pinto to play instead of Aaron’s or Thompson to be given a go in place of leitner.

[quote user="Bonzo"]Krul

Pinto Hanley Klose Lewis

Thompson Godfrey

Pukki Leitner Hernández

Rhodes[/quote]

Krul

Pinto Hanley Klose Lewis

Thompson Godfrey

Marshall Pukki Hernández

Rhodes

Leitner to drop to the bench and replace Pukki for the last 30 minutes.

DF has got to be positive. We have made a poor start and no amount of pleading that we did this or didn''t do that will alter anything.

We need three points first and a top performance to go with it would be great but not essential for the moment.

Krul

Godfrey Hanley Klose

Marshall Thompson Leitner Cantwell Hernandez

Pukki Rhodes.

I am confused by who qualifies for the home grown rule so will ignore the subs.

You have 7 homegrown there already so you can pick who you like on the bench...

Zimmerman has been an inspirational part of all our best defensive performances last season. Got injured and lost form.Definitely good enough for this division.

I''d like us to go to 3(5) at the back, when we were defensively frail last season it helped us a lot. Especially if we''re going to continue with Marshal at RB, RWB would be more preferable.

Krul

Zimm, Klose, Hanley

Marshall, Lewis

Thompson/Godfrey(preferably Thompson for me)

Pukki, Leitner, Onel

Rhodes

Zimmerman impresses me against the like of arsenal and chelsea where football is played on the ground, but less so against the more physical sides like sheff weds and, QPR etc.

I think he would be perfect to face leeds at the weekend though.

I’d be amazed if Farke didn’t set-up with 3 CB’s against Preston, given how we’ve started the season defensively and the fact he can’t really afford another defeat with Kkeds up next.

If we’re able to switch fluidly from 5-3-2 to 3-5-2 it doesn’t have to stifle the attacking threat. I would only play one defensive midfielder rather than two, which is what he did last season. For me, that would be too defensive for a home match against Preston.

[quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]Zimmerman impresses me against the like of arsenal and chelsea where football is played on the ground, but less so against the more physical sides like sheff weds and, QPR etc.

I think he would be perfect to face leeds at the weekend though.[/quote]
I pretty much agree with you about Zimmermann but I''d be concerned about playing him sparingly because he''d never really be match sharp. The back 4/5 really need to play together as often as possible.

Cant disagree with that NN;

my concerns about Zimm only really apply with a back 4; I dont have them with a 3 as the other two make up for it and they compliment each other well.

4-3-3

GK. Krul

LB. Lewis

CB. Klose

CB. Hanley

RB. Pinto

CM. Trybull

CM. Godfrey

CM. Thompson

LS. Pukki

ST. Rhodes

RS. Hernandez

Subs: McGovern, Zimmermann, Passlack, Stiepermann, Tettey, Buendia, Srbeny

Krul
       Hanley    Klose/Godfrey    Zimm
Marshall                                       Lewis
                        Thompson
Hernandez          Pukki             Buendia
                          Rhodes
SUBS:
Oxborough
Godfrey (if Klose not starting)
Aarons
Trybull
Leitner
Steipermann
Srbeny

despite my view that 3 at the back suits us better I suspect that Farke will stick with Saturdays back 4 on the premis that we could have won all three games and focus on removing the individual errors in the back line through repeated defensive coaching.

Thompson (or Godfrey) in for Tettey and perhaps buendia in for Trybull as he continues to go for a more attacking 4141 at home.

I think I saw a stat that Farke had more game to games starting XI changes than any other manager last season - and it looks like 4 different starting XIs come tomorrow night too.

Krul

Hanley Klose/Godfrey Zimm

Marshall Lewis

Thompson

Hernandez Pukki Buendia

Rhodes

i Agree Indy that team should win more games than they lose !

It has a good mix of attacking players also the youthful legs of Thompson to get up and down the pitch i would maybe play Godfrey on the right of the 3 at the back with Hanley in the middle if Klose is not going to play