Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

Bye Bye promotion

Again, as soon as anyone speaks out against Worthy, the ''rose tinted glasses'' brigade comes out in force.  Lets face facts, Worthy is not a man to admit it when he is wrong, BUT, is quick to slate others.  Dropping down was a shame, but a good chance to really set the team and club up for the future.  We may not have had the transfer kitties of alot of other clubs, but we had the nucleus of a great squad.  Many managers would kill to have Green, Safri, Ashton, Shackel and Hucks, but you have to be able to build on that.

Worthys summer signings have reaked of ''steady ship'' syndrome!  Jarrett and Hughes were only at most ''handy'' players for their respective clubs, Colin has potential, but Louis-Jean is no better than Edworthy.  Where is the creativeness needed in midfield to supply the front men (hucks is no midfielder)?  Where is the defensive strength needed to give Green and Shackell a fighting chance?

As for the chance to actually spend some cash from the Francis sale, nothing.....maybe a couple of loan signings because it worked a couple of years ago.  The future is now, not two seasons ago.  All we can expect now is the same tactical mistakes, playing people out of position and then having a go at them for not being good enough! Oh....and coming out with the same excuses!

I agree entirely

The situation is a total shambles. Why has it taken him 12 months to repalce Macky? and why is he now in desperation trying to sign players at the last minute? He has NO STRATEGY or a plan, he just reacts; a recipe Delia, for disaster as you will find out when we are visiting teams likke MK Dons for real!

Forget about promotion we are looking at relegation!

I agree. We''ll be VERY lucky to make the play offs. I don''t need that kind of stress again. What shambles.

Small time Norwich.

You watch the attendances drop drop drop after this. I found it depressing going to Stoke which is half full. Well all I can say is that Norwich are lucky that they sold 20,000 season tickets. See how many they sell next year if the carry on this debacle.

your all being ridiculously optimistic - "we''ll be lucky to make play offs" - heres some news for you - we havent a chance of play-offs and will be lucky to avoid a consecutive relegation! we''re a joke - ive lost all respect for worthington - its a disgrace the way we''re playing, its a disgrace that we all work bloody hard to watch our team and worthington invests none of that money in players to entertain us, its probably in his holiday fund as we speak - in our position - not to sign any1 is not only ridiculous but its dangerous aswell....absolute DISGRACE - the performances, the attitude, and the lack of ambition.

goodbye promotion......

hello relegation fight, lower gates and less parking hassle!

" You watch the attendances drop drop drop after this "

No suprise there then. Off would go all the ''johhny come lately''s'', the whingers and the rest of the rag bag of so called supporters. Not much of a lose really.

As to the remark about ''''rose tinted glasses'' it merely highlights the stupidity of the post. It is not the criticism of Worthington that is objected to, however ill founded it is, but the inevitable kneejerk response that follows.

He isn''t going nowhere, no more than any of the heroic armchair whiners that are routinely filling this board up with their endless bleats, so get used to it.

No City fan is happy with the present position. The difference is what you do when we are in this position. Whinge like a spoilt child that life isn''t fair or accept where we are and do your best to support the club.

That''s not pro Worthington it''s pro Norwich City Football Club.

Shut the door on your way out as well.

We are paying the price for two years of continual wasted money in the transfer market and opitomised by the failure to replace Iwan and Malky 12 months on . We have been left with a very ordinary team whose only hope is surviving relegation . Wworthington won''t resign as he will be walking out on a big pay off , so it''s up to the board . How many games will it take for this to happen ? I guess no more than 10 - i hope !

Even if we start winning a lot of games now - fat chance on current form, I know - it''s the ATTITUDE of the management that is so poor (as well as the Board, if they say that sacking Worthy is "unthinkable"). Worthy has shown himself to be poor tactically, inflexible and now seems to be unable to motivate the team. How can a team that was beating Man U, Birmingham and Charlton not so long ago be playing so poorly? We were meant to have improved the squad over the summer, but the signings have been unambitious and lacking in flair or quality. Today''s lack of action in the transfer market - "we nearly signed a centre half"! - was the final irritation for me! I''m beginning to think that we won the Championship a couple of seasons ago IN SPITE OF Worthy, not because of him! We need some fresh blood on and off the pitch, otherwise we''ll spend the next 9 years in the wilderness again.  

Well guys, you can take strength from the fact that those who are in "moaning" camp are evidently in the minority as seemingly the "majority" of fans are ok with W, as are the board.

The day of a rude awakening will slap them in the face, wait and see

[quote]I agree. We''ll be VERY lucky to make the play offs. I don''t need that kind of stress again. What shambles. Small time Norwich. You watch the attendances drop drop drop after this. I found it depre...[/quote]

I dont think we can say that promotion has gone just yet, we can only really be certain of that by Xmas at the earliest and more likely March.

Fundamentally the squad has a first (prem) class core in it supported by provem championship standard players.    If worthy can get the team playing as a team, select his best 11 but more importantly get the 11 organised and structured so each knows what their role in the side is then we have EVERY chance of promotion.

It is just a shame that little wordif has such a big influence on the outcome of our season already.

OTBC   

[quote]your all being ridiculously optimistic - "we''ll be lucky to make play offs" - heres some news for you - we havent a chance of play-offs and will be lucky to avoid a consecutive relegation! we''re a jok...[/quote]

"it''s a disgrace the way we are playing" - I have news for you, and it''s not what you want to hear.  If you look back at our promotion season, have a look at some of our performances in the first half of the season - Reading at home, Derby at home spring readily to mind - we were AWFUL, and very very very lucky to win those games.  I don''t get to many games anymore at FCR, but was there against Leeds on Saturday - if Deano and Leon had taken their chances, we would have won the game comfortably, and we certainly played equally as well as we did in the first half of our promotion season.

I am neither pro nor anti Worthy - never have been.  He has simply been the right (or only) man for the job for the last couple of years.  Is he still?  Not sure - it looks like he may have lost the dressing room to me, but the next few games will tell.  I have certainly never been convinced of us while he has been in charge, there are not too many games where we have completely destroyed the opposition (not even when we won 4-0 at Derby, the first half we were outplayed by them).  But for me, this is the difference:

Confidence - that is the missing ingredient.

You can always hope, but it''s mid-table mediocrity at best, I fear.

When week by week over the summer we saw good players being signed up by rivals, there was a gnawing feeling that we were going to finish up with a few average players who were not going to be influential this season. We kept reading of good players about whom we had a made an enquiry or expressed an interest. Surely one or two of them would be signed, and the squad would be improved?

Our worst fears were realised, even more when Francis was not replaced, and worst of all we now have a squad smaller than last year, and with more league games to play!

I suppose we should be glad that having left things too late again we have not resorted to last minute panic buys (or poor quality).

Of course, we could be lucky and find one or two outstanding players on loan, after all Hux came! Does lightning strike twice? In any case these would hardly cover the period until January, when we MIGHT buy a good player or two, or we might not!

[quote]You can always hope, but it''s mid-table mediocrity at best, I fear. When week by week over the summer we saw good players being signed up by rivals, there was a gnawing feeling that we were going to ...[/quote]

And clutching at straws there is always the hope of an out of contact player signing on for free; or persuading a playing to end their current contract with a club on a mutual basis...

But they are hardlylikely to be ones to set the world on fire I know

OTBC 

I think it should be put into a bit of perspective. Good players are hard to come by.

Liverpool have failed in their bid to sign a central defender and a right midfield player. Ring any bells ? And they were last seasons champions of europe !

Wigan have had to put in a bid of up to £3m for an average journeyman like Connolley and WBA have just stumped up £3m for a relative unknown defender from Luton.

This lot have to shape up. They''ve got the ability. One or two short term loans should help. What is certain is that we have Worthington here for the short term at least.

Again I would ask the fans to be patient. No one is enjoying this. Every City fan is hurting like hell but most are behind the club.

Last thing we need is to be going to poorman road at each other''s throats.

Come on guys! do you really think Worthy and the board just sat on their hands until it was too late to sign anyone?

Smell the coffee boys and girls! Good midfielders are hard to come by, ditto centre-backs, I''m convinced they''ve been trying since before the end of last season.
It''s just a sad fact that we will struggle to attract the right players - look at Spurs buying a dozen midfielders this summer, with other Prem clubs close behind - with another half dozen Championship sides scrapping for the crumbs dusted off the Prem table.

Even as a Prem side we had trouble getting players unless, like Ashton, they were unproven at top level. Do you think it will be easier this season?

I trust the guys who run my club. They''ve been honest with me, for the last few seasons anyway, and that means a lot these days. If they say (as they have today) that lots of enquiries were made and deals attempted, then I BELIEVE them. It''s not their fault if players, or agents, won''t agree terms.

I agree with most people on here - seems this is a thread mainly for ''reasonable'' people who realise that things aren''t always as black and white and simple to sort out as others seem to think! 

The idea that the Club''s management doesn''t realise where the gaps in the squad are is surely laughable - these are people who have been in the game for more years than most Posters here have been alive - but they also realise that there is no point getting people in who are rubbish just to appease the fans.  I''m sure they have been and still are busy looking for replacements - but they have to ''fit''.

It is far too easy for us to sit at our pc and say  "we should sign x or y", and moan when they don''t turn up - or when someone else does.  Take Ian Pearce: imo he would have been a decent loan signing - 6''3" and at 31 has plenty of experience (but not yet is far from an old man) to help bring on Shackell; on all the sites they say he is a good footballer, comfortable with the ball, good at passing - features crucial for our squad.  Yet on most threads people seem to think he''d have been a rubbish signing.  Quite why, I''m not sure!

I''m fast beginning to realise that these forums are more for moaning about things about the club than actually discussing things - I guess it is no surprise that at times the dissenters drown out those who are backing the management, as they are just louder and post more frequently!

[quote]I agree with most people on here - seems this is a thread mainly for ''reasonable'' people who realise that things aren''t always as black and white and simple to sort out as others seem to think! The...[/quote]

Obvioulsy the club knows where the deficiancies are and will have been looking to bring in ''suitable'' alternatives.

Because we all care about NCFC and are deeply passionate about our club, its difficult to accept that nothing could be done to bring in the replacements we needed over the summer. Especially when all through the summer we were joint favourites for promotion, were keeping our strikeforce and would surely have been an appealing option to players.

Damien Francis is typical example. There were those of us who didn''t want him anymore and there were those of us who did. Most of us thought he would probably go and that there would be a gap to fill. Worthys approach seems to have been to hope nothing would happen and that Francis would stay and therefore no replacement was lined up in time (unless you seriously think Worthy took Jarrett/Hughes as adequate replacements).

I''m sure Worthy knows he needs more creativity in midfield and a solid defensive partner for Shackell, but there have been several players bought by championship outfits who would have provided that and it doesn''t appear that we made an approach for them, otherwise we should have been able to get them.

I don''t know whether it is the club that is not appealing to the players or whether it is the club not approaching the players but either way, in most cases it boils down to a problem at the club, either in not being able to attract players or in not trying to get them when they are desperately needed.

Having said all that, there is nothing that anyone can do about it now and come the next match it is the responsibility of every fan to get behind the team. Theres no point sitting there silent (or worse, booing) waiting for them to do somthing brilliant. They need to hear some positive noise and enthusiasm from the crowd. Its a nonsense to boo anyway - how is that going to motivate them. Lets all make some positive noise and see if we can''t shake them into action from the stands.

"I don''t know whether it is the club that is not appealing to the players or whether it is the club not approaching the players but either way, in most cases it boils down to a problem at the club, either in not being able to attract players or in not trying to get them when they are desperately needed."

It is as it ever was, I''m afraid - geography is against us.  I''m not swallowing the party line, or anything like that, but we have always suffered from our geographic location as a club.  An awful lot of players spend their whole career in an area, to avoid the upheaval of moving their young family around.  Would you commute from Manchester to Norwich every day, for example?  Probably not, but Manchester to Preston/Burnley/Stoke?  Definitely.