Sign in to follow this  
Indy

So did Farke get his sub and tactics right tonight?

The introduction of Buendia, Zimmerman and the switch to 3 at the back were all down to Farke - it''s only right he should take credit when due....he certainly takes plenty of stick

Zimmermann did seem fired up when he came on. The full-faced camera shot saw him dictating the requirements to the others with a heap load of aggressive passion.

I thought he had climbed the mountain last season, only to be knocked from off the pinnacle early in this.

Three at the back would seem the way to go. It gets the best from a few of our players, Marshall being another I would hope.

[quote user="writeronthestorm"]The introduction of Buendia, Zimmerman and the switch to 3 at the back were all down to Farke - it''s only right he should take credit when due....he certainly takes plenty of stick[/quote]
Credit to everyone. Zimmerman especially for that quality pass across field to set up the goal.  There were several opportuities for that kind of ball in the first half, but it was ignored, I guess the players were too uptight to try anything risky at that stage.  Hpefully having won the match they will find it easier to exrpress themselves next time.

Farke did the job last night, subs worked, well done to him.
We have now won 20 of the 57 games he has been in charge for, stats that need to see a pretty dramatic upward turn .

Three at the back does seem to suit us better. Were Tim to leave though I''m not sure where that leaves us. I don''t automatically buy into this Godfrey-is-a-replacement-centre-half thing, given that he''s always played as a holding midfielder. I''d have thought that by now we might have learnt that playing people out of position doesn''t usually end well, and that it takes time for them to adapt.

My preference remains three at the back.

However if we are to go with that for the season I think we would need another CB even if Timm (fingers crossed) stays; Godfrey can cover one injury/suspecnsion but beyond that you are looking at Pinto stepping in or reverting to a back 4.

Sadly it seems that Carter-Vickers is off to Swansea.

We have to say yes don''t we? Regardless of why he did what he did , and yes it could be down to Pinto , he made a change and we won 2 nil.

That''s football. Results are key.

Michael Bailey said it best - worst performance of the season and our first win! I''m happy to give it to DF!

[quote user="Fiery Zac"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Leitner offers little and pinto is a defensive liability. But for a coat of paint we could have been one down. Pukki continues to impress and his goal was vital then the tetty sizzler other than that nothing in it on another day it would have been a bore draw[/quote]

Nonsense argument. On another day we wouldn’t have missed a pen against WBA, Krul wouldn’t have made a howler gifting them a goal and we would’ve won comfortably. Too many ifs and maybes in football to start saying ‘on another day’.

It wasn’t a bore draw. It can be argued we waited for them to tire and hit them hard late on. Whatever the reason, it was a great result and 2 well taken goals.[/quote]

Nobody from Preston was getting tired,except maybe everybody watching in the ground for the fist 80 minutes.

Nobody gets tired playing at walking pace, however the last 10 played with more pace and getting the ball forward and making them track back unsurprisingly worked far better.

A discussion about tactics on this site is almost a waste of time because very few people seem to have a clue what they are - the criticism of Leitner and the "passing back" evidences that.

Most football teams these days are well organised. The coaches mostly do the same things; they all have the same badges. That means it is relatively easy to make 11 competent footballers hard to beat.

To create chances you have to disrupt that organisation. There are a number of ways of doing that - pace; finding space between the lines or between their defenders; moving their defenders around; one touch pass and moves etc.

You need to get your better players into positions where they can cause damage.

Leitner is on the pitch to do some of that - he is not going to drift past players and smash one in from 30 yards very often. He is there to make space, to disrupt, to move the ball and when he can, see a pass.

We have a number of options now on how we make and take those chances - loads more than we had last season. Pukki, Rhodes, Hernandez, Marshall, Buendia and others are all capable of playing this type of tactic, which is why they were bought. The Murphy''s were not, which is why they were sold - though Jacob was getting there, his lack of further progress is being shown up in the PL. He should have stayed with us another year.

Lumping it long doesn''t do it, unless you win the second ball - that''s more by luck than design, particularly as most teams have at least one centre back who is commanding in the air, and goalkeepers who come out to crosses.

We won last night because in the 80th minute we finally succeeded in moving their defence across to create the space for Lewis and Pukki to exploit - that was the only time in the game we did it. Preston did it to us two or three times, but missed their chances.

So, tactically, Alex Neil was the more successful of the two managers.

We don''t play the high press very often, in the Champs this is often adopted by the less able teams (Millwall, Sheff Utd etc) to close the ability gap - it seems that Leeds have adopted it under Bielsa, yet against Swansea they didn''t sustain it and he is well known for surprising everyone tactically. It is difficult to defeat a high press if it is sustained - most can''t do that for 90 minutes, because it only takes one weak link for it to fall apart and that tends to happen later in games; unless you have Karius in goal!

It will be interesting to see what both teams do on Saturday - if Leeds score first and early it could be a problem for us, but another game like last nights and the longer it stays scoreless the better our chances of nicking it.

So tactically Alex Neil was more successful! Wow so if we outplay Leeds for 80 minutes miss a couple chances, they make two sub, adjust their set up and win, will you come back and say Farke was more successful?

Can’t believe I read that!

Like others said, it was our worst 75 minutes this season, yet we kart it tight, didn’t concede and never really looked like conceding till Tettey made his mistake!

Funny how differently fans view the game, but I tend to think thanks to a fitter side, good subs who made a positive impact and Farkes tactics we got a win out of what could have been a dower game thanks to AN tactics.

We found the key to win.

[quote user="Indy"]So tactically Alex Neil was more successful! Wow so if we outplay Leeds for 80 minutes miss a couple chances, they make two sub, adjust their set up and win, will you come back and say Farke was more successful?

Can’t believe I read that!

Like others said, it was our worst 75 minutes this season, yet we kart it tight, didn’t concede and never really looked like conceding till Tettey made his mistake!

Funny how differently fans view the game, but I tend to think thanks to a fitter side, good subs who made a positive impact and Farkes tactics we got a win out of what could have been a dower game thanks to AN tactics.

We found the key to win.[/quote]

Like I said earlier, very few people on this messageboard have a clue about tactics, and you have just proved my point. Read both managers comments after the game and see if you can learn something.

We won the game but we were lucky that Preston missed the better chances - which were created by better tactics.

Farke made a bunch of quite reasonable calls some of which were forced on him. If there is any credit for good tactical set ups it would go to Alex Neil who knew we would play out from the back and made it difficult for us to do so. Tettey is not naturally suited to receiving and playing the ball under pressure. Leitner more so but what the team needs is some variation. If we don’t add this dimension then our game will be too easy to nullify simply because we’re going to be very predictable. Neil favours high pressing and that approach gave us problems. Our tactics will work best on sides that sit off us a little more. On the plus side a win is a win is a win. If you win then your tactics were sufficient. We will face tougher opponents though. 5 at the back seems to work well for us though. I’m not sure why - but it does.

Thanks to Sky I have been able to watch some of the other Championship sides live this week. Whilst the subs and tactics did work against Preston last night it will be different against sides like Brentford, Villa, Leeds, Middlesboro, Swansea, Bolton, and Wigan who all play high tempo, quick passing and movement football.

We played that style ourselves for the first 30 mins against West Brom and they didn''t have a look in. It was unfortunate that 2/3 individual errors cost us that game, but that is the type of football I would like to see us play on a regular basis.

Not a Farke fan, but for me last night was about getting 3 points to get the season started and grow some confidence.

I didn’t want excuses or possession stats, and for me how we got the points didn’t matter. Credit to Farke and the boys, the 3 points is what they delivered.

We have now won 20 of the 57 games he has been in charge for, stats that need to see a pretty dramatic upward turn

Actually only the 4th win in 17 according to Goreham.

As for the OP. Some say yes others say no. Personally, I don''t believe DF''s tactics are right for this division with this personnel.

And I honestly believed we wouldn''t see Tettey for the second half, especially as his fourth big mistake of the game came just before the interval.

Preston played it cagey but took far less passes to get the ball into our half than we did.

So we have a coach who professes possession above all and Alex Neil who we know did like to play a more positional game.

Anyone would be certifiable if they weren''t pleased and excited for the last ten minutes. The introduction of Buendia livened the tempo, got us the goals and woke up the crowd.

Now it is up to DF to absorb all that and hopefully adapt his tactics and stop being so possesion first obsessed.

“We have now won 20 of the 57 games he has been in charge for, stats that need to see a pretty dramatic upward turn”

Just had a quick count and I think we’ve drawn 20, so perhaps we’re not that far away

Managerial statistics
[edit]

As of match played 22 August 2018
Managerial record by team and tenure
TeamFromToRecordRef.
PWDLWin %
Norwich City25 May 2017Present5720181935.1[5]
Total5720181935.1
from wiki....havent checked them

i do not rate Farke and think it is only papering over the cracks BUT he did well last night he had to win and he did the job !!

we did not play well ,we did not have enough shots ,we did not create enough ,

BUT Farke had to win simple as that so Credit to him,

Can he build on that i doubt it seems we either shut up shop and play awful going forward or play well attacking wise and let loads of goals he should have a Balance by now

The team selection looked spot on to me and is arguably our strongest first 11, it was therefore disappointing to see Marshall playing largely in midfield when I expected him wide right. Consequently little or no width on the right. Subs were spot on, possibly Buendia a little late but we had to make sure we had not lost the game before trying to win it. The switch to 3 CHs was enforced due to the injury to Pinto and I don''t think Farke had much choice?
Personally I don''t want us to go back to a back 5 as if we want to play with 2 x DMs one of more creative players will have to be dropped.
Credit to DF though. I like him and I want him to do well but I still have my doubts his style will ever win enough games to challenge for promotion.

I see that scunthorpe have just sacked their manager after their 5-0 home defeat against the James Husband inspired Fleetwood.

It was his first home defeat as manager

He had only ever lost 3 games (2 to fleetwood) of the 22 played, winning 10.

Our board are patient. And rightly so. There are clear signs of improvement