Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Thin Margins & Numbskull fans.

Nice to be on the the other end of footballs thin margins tonight.

Preston hit the bar and shortly later its in their net from a superb Pukki finish (who is looking the real deal). Then a Tettey spectacular in one of his poorest performances and probably our worst of the season so far.

Conversely against West Brom we moved the ball far quicker and attacked with flair and creativity but the missed penalty and the Krul flap swung the game West Broms way. As did Leitners miss against United to see them score a last minute winner.

The point is football swings on these tiny, tiny margins and it was good to see some actual support from those around me. Just disappointing it mostly came after we scored. Some of the backpasses that were boo''d were bordering on the most ridiculous reactions ive seen by football fans. There were times where we did unnecessarily backpass, there were others where those backpasses created spaces and patterns which resulted in chances.

Hopefully the 3 points releases some pressure and we can get behind the team from the start on Saturday.

You might think that , most would say 80 mins of absolute garbage followed by 10 mins of passable football . Team is frankly pathetic and we will struggle to reach mid table . Never mind though you continue living in la la land .

[quote user="Time to go Delia"]You might think that , most would say 80 mins of absolute garbage followed by 10 mins of passable football . Team is frankly pathetic and we will struggle to reach mid table . Never mind though you continue living in la la land .[/quote]Most? Most? The booing came from a very small section of the Barclay. I know because that''s where I sit. I would say it was a small percentage. It''s the trolls who live on this forum and seemingly let football ruin their entire lives who are the types that boo.

Most would say you should bore off

Most? Most? The booing came from a very small section of the Barclay. I know because that''s where I sit. I would say it was a small percentage. It''s the trolls who live on this forum and seemingly let football ruin their entire lives who are the types that boo.

Most would say you should bore off

Tony Cottee was covering the match for sky Sports news, every time they went over to him he was bored rigid and critical of the way we were playing. It was an ongoing theme throughout the night about how bad the performance was. So yeah I’d say most people saw that

So a blood and thunder game v WBA - no points
or a rather pedestrian game v Preston - 3 points
Last night seemed more about addressing the errors of the first game (WBA) and the other two league games.
Yes it was quite dire at times. Watching Rhodes getting clattered every five minutes or so is not the most entertaining of games either.
Did we merely hang on hoping to just avoid defeat, or was this part of the we are fitter than you so we will knacker you then hit you in the last 10 minutes ploy ? Or merely us coping with a rather physical Preston ?
What was pleasing to see was there was no dogged trying to hold out for a 1-0 win. In fact anyone not knowing might have though it was City desperate for a goal in the last few minutes.

3 points every time. I’d bite your hands of for 30 victory’s like that and promotion. But it was by all accounts a very poor performance. 3 points is 3 points though

We were woeful for 80 minutes and frankly Preston should have been 2-0 up long before we scored. But their poor finishing was our good fortune. Marshall, Tettey and Leitner all had bad games and when three of your midfield are struggling, then so will the team. We won''t get away with playing that poorly very often. As it is, you can only hope the win gives the players confidence, because it looked in short supply for much of last night.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]We were woeful for 80 minutes and frankly Preston should have been 2-0 up long before we scored. But their poor finishing was our good fortune. Marshall, Tettey and Leitner all had bad games and when three of your midfield are struggling, then so will the team. We won''t get away with playing that poorly very often. As it is, you can only hope the win gives the players confidence, because it looked in short supply for much of last night.[/quote]
Agree with all this.
It was an abysmal game until we scored. No one expects us to produce the last 10/15 minutes form all game but it would help us all if they did it more often. Thought we were fortunate to win but as PP says maybe it''ll give the players a bit more confidence.
I would hope that all the spectator groaning last night will encourage them to be a bit more adventurous in future.

The truth is that short of us winning 4/5-0 every game whilst playing incredibly attractive and attacking football - some fans will always moan (and I think some would moan regardless of what we did).
We have struggled to find a middle ground in our play for a long time now, it''s either over-attacking and weak defensively, or better defensively with little cutting edge, and regardless of which we''re doing, unless we get the wins there will constantly be discontent amongst fans who primarily care about the result - however it happens.
Me, I''d rather watch good, entertaining football and risk losing 4-3, than sit watching dire football in the style of Pulis, McCarthy or Hughton (when he was here) that scrapes out more consistent 1-0 wins in exchange for the entertainment value.

Norwich weren’t scintillating but in now way were Preston far superior or deserve to be ahead.

Both teams looked to sit back a bit and force the other to come at them, while Norwich didn’t control the game as well as they could at no point did they really feel under the cosh.

The booing and jeering from home fans surprised me and played into Preston’s hands. Luckily the players were clever enough to not let the home fans pressure them into opening the game up to much and allowing Preston the space to counter into. Ultimately Norwich worked the little bit of space they needed to score the crucial first goal.

Alex provided the best possible answer to "fans" that boo our own players, especially such a great club servant as Alex.
If you go to games and think that booing Alex is acceptable, as far as I''m concerned you might as well Feck Off!👍

I watched it on Ifollow with Goreham and Lappin commentaries.

The consensus was that this was the worst performance of the season by a fair margin but obviously the best result, in the league anyway.

I haven''t seen the other games but was disappointed for the first 80 minutes for so many reasons.

I felt we were set up wrong and our options were Hernandez getting to the bye line or Rhodes winning an aerial battle against two big defenders.

Poor performances from Tettey (good goal though), Marshall and Lewis.

I would prefer Tettey further up the pitch and Godfrey/Thompson given a run. I just don''t know about Leitner/Trybull. Tidy but that is all. They don''t look anything like game changers to me.

I honestly think Pukki further forward, properly supporting Rhodes could well work better for us and give Hernandez a better option when crossing.

I was informed Marshall was a good crsooer but saw a series of inswinging crosses straight to Rudd.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Norwich weren’t scintillating but in now way were Preston far superior or deserve to be ahead.

Both teams looked to sit back a bit and force the other to come at them, while Norwich didn’t control the game as well as they could at no point did they really feel under the cosh.

The booing and jeering from home fans surprised me and played into Preston’s hands. Luckily the players were clever enough to not let the home fans pressure them into opening the game up to much and allowing Preston the space to counter into. Ultimately Norwich worked the little bit of space they needed to score the crucial first goal.[/quote]

This. Far too many are talking as though we were lucky not to have been comprehensively beaten. Absolute rubbish. Preston didn’t look like scoring and would’ve been delighted with a point.

I simply can’t understand some fans outlook. I thoroughly enjoyed our deserved victory. A football match is 90 minutes long and in that 90 minutes we were the better team because we scored more than them. Endless talk of tactics matters little when we battle hard for 80 mins and then capitalise with a couple of well taken goals. That’s football. Why are so many over analysing it? I didn’t walk away from the ground thinking “well we won but boy were we lucky”, I walked away with a spring in my step, fists pumping and looking forward to Saturday.

Last night showed more balance in our play than the first 3 games and whilst it’s not yet sorted, I’d take that performance and result for the rest of the season.

Yes the morons that booed were pretty pathetic but I was quite alarmed at the ferocity of it and there seems to be quite a level of discontent simmering below the surface. Arguably it provoked an immediate response from the players but it really is unacceptable.
On a positive note we were pretty solid at the back and gave Preston no more than they gave us. Buendia looks to have something about him and Pukki produced a quality finish. There was 80 minutes of some of the most dire football I''ve seen for a while and the match was decided with 2 moments of rare quality from either team. 3 points is 3 points though but Leeds will (hopefully) be an entirely different type of game which might actually work in our favour and will give us a fair idea how far we have come.

The booing and discontent is much deeper than just two home games this season, you all know that.

There’s a lot wrong with the club at the minute, whilst on the pitch there is little evidence to suggest this current downward trajectory over the last 3 seasons is going to change.

Last nights performance up until the first goal was awful. We appeared to have little strategy and looked chaotic in our play. Farke’s team is still demonstrating the same issues it was 12 months ago.

If fans want to boo than so be it. Norwich fans are pretty decent generally, and are much more patient than most.

Thin margins?..its goals that win matches, yes Preston  can possibly claim one thin margin with the shot that hit the underside of the bar, but there was no thin margins with City''s two well taken goals. Such was the worry  in the close season when Madders and Josh left, we would have no one to get any goals.
Numbskulls can moan and groan about a non exciting City display all they like, but, even though it is early days,  im not worried at all about our goal scoring potential. Pukki, Rhodes and Hernandez have already shown they can and will score the goals, already its becoming just a memory of a season when Madders and Josh lead us to 49 goals in 46 games.

Once again I don''t think this was like our performances earlier last season. This was a tight game where the sides were quite evenly matched. We had the extra quality when we scored the two goals. Preston don''t often lose by more than a single goal.In fact I think only once since last November. They definitely don''t resemble Alex Neils teams here. If we can find a way to win these tight games we should have a better position at the end of the season. Last season we drew 1-1 and 0-0 against these. 

The booing was not aimed at the players as individuals but at the style of play the sum of those players were producing for 80 minutes and it was like a repeat of 2017/18 and quite rightly in my opinion the fans are not prepared to stomach that for another 21 home games.

"I was expecting to return to NR1 this season to find that, in general, the stadium would have more comprehension of the tactics Daniel Farke’s men use to unlock teams.

It

turns out that there seems to have been very little of a move forward

in that regard. The shouts of ‘get it forward’ and ‘stop messing around’

were almost as plentiful as a year ago.

There was a situation in

the second half where substitute Emi Buendia had two men in front of him

who were both marked, so he passed the ball backwards to a colleague

behind him, which then allowed himself and the other two options further

forward to move into space and become more available for a pass. The

ball made its way to them fairly quickly after the recycling of the

attack but still there were gasps of exasperation around me at the fact

the attack hadn’t moved forward more quickly.

In microcosm, it was

evidence of exactly why the team sometimes move the ball back to gain

an advantage further up the pitch but it still seems a concept alien to

many of the fans.

Tettey is a much-loved player in these parts and

has been a great servant to Norwich City and he was also very, very

hard on himself when fronting up to the press after the game – so

whether the booing was aimed at him or the team’s style generally it’s

not helpful." 
  Pinkun 24/08/18

Ultimately we won. When we lose playing well we are told it makes no difference as ''a defeat is a defeat''. This is of course true however unfortunate/unlucky the result. However, the flip side - that a win is a win - doesn''t seem to apply in the same way for some people; I guess it just doesn''t fit their standpoint that all is doom and gloom.

Whether the boos were aimed at the players, the coaching staff or the owners is irrelevant. It is both unjustified THIS season & becomes a self fulfilling prophecy as it DOES affect the players as the negativity is far more powerful than the edge a pink away changing room brings us.

As Bielsa has reinforced, our performances this season have been good and we should be further up the table meaning there is clear evidence of improvement. If we as supporters can lose this mindless impatience the confidence will return and the results will reflect the performances, esp as the defence gets itself back up to speed after an injury interrupted build up.

As Tettey highlighted the atmosphere in the stadium does affect players as they play. In a time when a confidence boost is needed aggressive criticism helps none of our aims; it only helps our opponents and those from south of the border.

As an attacking entity we are not missing Madders or Murphy - which speaks volumes to the way the coach has integrated the astute new signings made by the recruitment team. Despite complaints of slow build up we are creating more and better chances as the movement from Pukki and Rhodes creates space for Onel, Leitner and Marshall to exploit.

The defence is making simple mistakes - but we know that can and will improve as they get back up to speed.

Add in a large dollop of confidence and I think we can see this team flourish. Help give our team a chance on Saturday instead of weighing them down.

It''s been a dumb start and I feel that we''ve thrown two points away already (WBA and Sheff.U.)

However that does almost precisely place us in the ''no man''s land'' of opinion whereby I have always thought that things could go either way this season.

We could well threaten the top six or alternatively assume mid-table mediocrity. I''ve seen and read enough of the Chumps this season to be able to emphatically rule out a relegation scrap.

Win the next two games (including the big one then) and the team and manager will be on a roll such as their combined talents have never been on before in.

Optimistic? Why not? We had the beginnings of a very decent strike force even before Buendia was unveiled. Zimmo might have forced his way into a back three, Lewis looks an ace wing back and we have yet to see the best of Marshall or McClean, imo. In midfield, if Stiepermann is to be the yardstick then we have competence and there''s always both Godfrey and Thompson lurking.

Decent squad compared with lots of our rivals, so many who seem to be in a state of flux (Derby, Villa, Swansea for example.)

We now need Farke to prove that he is a decent manager. There is a mountain to climb, but I don''t think it''s Everest this particular season.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]The booing was not aimed at the players as individuals but at the style of play the sum of those players were producing for 80 minutes and it was like a repeat of 2017/18 and quite rightly in my opinion the fans are not prepared to stomach that for another 21 home games.[/quote]

Exactly this

[quote user="TIL 1010"]The booing was not aimed at the players as individuals but at the style of play the sum of those players were producing for 80 minutes and it was like a repeat of 2017/18 and quite rightly in my opinion the fans are not prepared to stomach that for another 21 home games.[/quote]

Absolute tosh.

Ive provided many arguments as to why booing is wrong. Can’t be bothered anymore. As the pinkun article explained, some fans just haven’t learned from last season.

If you don’t want to watch it, then don’t go. If you want to go, support the team.

Need to also add that if what you say is true, had the fans completely forgotten the WBA game? Absolutely no way could the players have been accused of producing anything like we did last season against West Brom.

Anyone who’s watched the games so far this season has seen a significant change in how much more attacking we are. That’s what the idiots wanted isn’t it? No apparently not as we were losing games therefore it’s not good enough. Move to wed night where the balance was readdressed and we were more careful in our build up play yet still not at the lowest levels of last season (and at no point were we losing the game remember) and we won the game. I don’t believe the balance is correct yet but am pleased with the progression we’ve made already in a few games to sort this problem out.

And I absolutely won’t boo my own team during a game when they need support.

When we lost playing well, I could have sworn people said the result was all that mattered. Now we''ve won it seems ok to move the goalposts....the result is only all that matters when we lose, apparently. It seems ''The fans''(?) are not prepared to play like that, but win, for the next 21 games.

The fact is Farke has come out and told us why we played the way we did on Wednesday. We all know we played pretty well the first 3 games but didn''t get what we deserved, so sticking in and getting the result made perfect sense against a good PNE side.