Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Somebody Please Explain!?

Call this a moan, a rant, say I''m not a real fan but I have to write this because I just don''t understand the following.

Worthy said every player that leaves will be replaced, well that has just not happened.  Furthermore he has attempted to bring in two bizarre signings,  Morrison for £2m and Ian Pearce on loan.  Ian Pearce!  Are we that desperate?  Firstly he looks to strengthen the area where we have the most options then he tries to sign a player well past his best who was never that good in the first place.  I''m glad we didn''t get Pearce because quite frankly we might as well stick with Flem?  Why did he not look to strengthen the midfield?  Probably because we have enough strikers and defenders to play out of position there!  You also have to beg the question why this deal had to be left till deadline day? We have had a small squad for months!

Edworthy, Holt and Mckenzie at points last year were regulars in a Premier League team.  A few months on and Worthy is looking to replace McKenzie, while Edworthy and Holt were not considered good enough for a Championship squad.  Call me stupid but other than being 2 years younger what make Louis-Jean better than Edworthy?  Edworthy has been part of two promotion winning teams, LJ was part of a relegated team.  Of the players he has brought in I don''t see any improvement in the quality of the squad, just a few years younger in the average age.

We talk tactics till we are blue in the face but lets be honest, it''s our biggest problem.  Despite being upset by lack of signings, we have a squad/team more than capable of getting out of this league other that the fact we look so disorganised sometimes.  This is not a new problem, so why has it been going on for so long?  Why is Worthy taking so long to learn from his mistakes?  Can he learn?  I hope so.  I like Worthy, the club has a lot to thank him for.  He surprised us all by winning the league but he doesn''t seem to have taken us further, yet.  He can do it if he just organises the team better and stops making bizarre substitutions.  For example why replace Marney with Thorne?  Surely they should be on the pitch at the same time, Marney crossing the ball for Thorne, obviously not!  Put some organisation and a bit of thought into this team and we will be more than good enough.

Finally why when Worthy falls out with a player does it have to be to the detriment of team?  Being strong minded is all when and good but he verges on being unreasonable and arrogant and has a negative effect on Norwich City.

Worthy can turn our current situation around by just going back to basics and getting the players to the fundamentals right.  After all my moaning here I still don''t want him to leave and I really do hope he proves me right. 

I agree with a lot of these points and also hope that Nigel can get the team playing with a bit of confidence again.  The squad is smaller however and the replacements that have come in are yet to show their best form.  When we won the league before we were really lucky with having so few injuries - I can''t see us being so fortunate again.  So how are we going to cope with injuries and suspensions (?) this time - with some difficulty. 

One other point is that for the last three seasons we have had so many games when we have only played well for one half.  Despite many words on this from Worthy, he still seems incapable of getting the players to play well for 90 minutes on many occasions.  

Still this a time for fans to get behind the team since they really do need our support at the moment.

I agree with most of what you say saint, only really disagreeing with the point on Eddy, who was offered a contract, which he declined and then left the club. 

Clearly we do not know what the offer was but I can only assume that it was a reasonable offer based on his age etc and likely to be far less than MLJ signed for.  

Squad size and organisation are the big issues (the latter is most important) and worthy has these factors within his control - as he did least season.

Vocal support over the coming games is so crucial to the players...

OTBC  

What is actually the matter with Ian Pearce....i am surprised that so many people (not just on this thread) seem to have it in for him!  I have scoured various sites and they all reckon him to be a firm crowd favourite wherever he plays, a good footballer, good passer, is tall at 6''3", and is 31 so experienced but not an old man (ideal to help bring on Shackell). 

Can someone please explain to me why, when everyone has been moaning about us needing central defenders, he would not have fitted the bill pretty well????

I don''t understand why we we''re prepared to pay £2m on Morrison a few weeks ago when Thorne was still fit. But now with Thorne injured, McKenzie off form and the transfer window closing... we don''t seem to have made any moves for a striker.

It could have been that Morrison was wanted rather than simply ''a striker''.

Part of that deal might well have been McKenzie moving on. Could well explain his being a bit off form.

My suggestion still is that the football league will not look too hard at short term loans as they are not overly keen on FIFA imposing their will upon them. Get Drury and Hughes back with a couple of decent loans and we will be back on form.

The game against the binners will be the tester.

A defeat there might just hurt too much.