Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Will a defeat next Sunday be the end of Farke?

There was a thread at the beginning of the season asking how many points we would get after seven games. I think I predicted the lowest, estimating just five points. So with just four points from five games, I may be proved correct. This isn''t a ''told-you-so'' post but I thought that we had so many new players, nobody having any idea what our best eleven would be, and not a clue the best formation or system for us, I thought the teams we were facing would mean a really difficult start of the season for us.

So it has proved.

I think it is going to change, but Sunday''s game is going to be crucial. A bad result against the team at the foot of the table and he may not recover from the fallout. If he gets through without too much damage, a draw may be enough, then I think we are favouring a more do-able run of fixtures. His best team and formation and system of play is still not settled but I think it is slightly more focused than the start of the season. So I think we will see some improved results leading up to January.

We won''t challenge the top six this season but I can see us being 9-13th. This won''t be enough for most Pinkun posters, but my objectives would be to see the youngsters being introduced whenever possible plus higher pressing at kick off. No objections to tippy-tappy if we''re two-nil up, just don''t want to see it at the beginning of a game.

[quote user="JF"]westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 27/08/2018 10:04 AM:

@Big O

Good post. A style of play that Norwich fans can buy into? There''s a prior question: do Norwich fans want a style of play that is modern and effective at the highest levels? A few years ago this exact question was being asked about England, as a succession of exceptionally well-qualified foreign coaches tried to drag our national team into the modern football world. Since then there has been a revolution in English coaching, and we have a modern-thinking English manager developing a young side with greater (EPL-based) familiarity with formerly "alien" methods and tactics. What we are now seeing at Norwich mirrors that process. At least the club have seen the light.

And yet all the evidence on the pitch and looking at the league table suggests the complete opposite. We look likely to be languishing in lower mid table this season or even worse a relegation battle but it’s ok, at least we done it trying to play ‘modern’ football, all be it completely ineffectively[/quote] "All the evidence on the pitch and looking at the league table suggests the complete opposite". Not true; there is evidence of progress for those prepared to look for it. Just one example: last season our finishing was poor and our conversion rate (goals scored/xG) hovered consistently around just 80%. This season it is currently 100%. As for the league table, do you honestly take league position seriously after 5 games? Last season, after 5 games, Ipswich were 2nd, we were 22nd and Brentford 23rd. Fulham meanwhile were 14th and Villa 18th. 
Truth of the matter is that there is a sizeable group of posters on here who actually want the club to fail, to see Webber and Farke replaced, and the owners out. Every chance to be negative is seized on, and anything positive pooh-poohed or ignored. If it wasn''t for my being a lifelong City supporter (longer in the tooth than most on here), I''d really wish on them the club I think they deserve.
  • Like 1

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]There was a thread at the beginning of the season asking how many points we would get after seven games. I think I predicted the lowest, estimating just five points. So with just four points from five games, I may be proved correct. This isn''t a ''told-you-so'' post but I thought that we had so many new players, nobody having any idea what our best eleven would be, and not a clue the best formation or system for us, I thought the teams we were facing would mean a really difficult start of the season for us.

So it has proved.

I think it is going to change, but Sunday''s game is going to be crucial. A bad result against the team at the foot of the table and he may not recover from the fallout. If he gets through without too much damage, a draw may be enough, then I think we are favouring a more do-able run of fixtures. His best team and formation and system of play is still not settled but I think it is slightly more focused than the start of the season. So I think we will see some improved results leading up to January.

We won''t challenge the top six this season but I can see us being 9-13th. This won''t be enough for most Pinkun posters, but my objectives would be to see the youngsters being introduced whenever possible plus higher pressing at kick off. No objections to tippy-tappy if we''re two-nil up, just don''t want to see it at the beginning of a game.[/quote]

Spot on about where we are at and where we may finish

I think the sensible reasoning is that the board will hope to hang on this season, and remember the financial security that may come with it, and not renew his contract.